Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First Drive: 2014 Acura RLX

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-13, 05:36 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.acura.com/future/RLX#9

RLX $48,450
RLX with Navigation $50,950
RLX with Technology Package $54,450
RLX with Krell Audio Package $56,950
RLX with Advance Package $60,450

They're out of their freakin minds.
Old 02-16-13, 06:21 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Info/details/site on this info? I hadn't heard that. I don't doubt you, I just like to "see for myself" so to speak
When RLX was unveiled couple of editorials mentioned TLX getting smaller in order not to cannibalize the RLX.
Old 02-16-13, 06:24 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
OMFG... I just realized that this thing is FRONT WHEEL DRIVE????. It's not SH-AWD? My God, it's not...

http://www.acuranews.com/channels/ac...specifications

WTF are they thinking? And they want HOW MUCH for it? Oh it has "Precision All Wheel Steering" now, "P-AWS". woo-ha-hoo (sarcasm). With FWD I wouldn't even be able to step on the gas in the wet until like 3rd or 4th gear. This thing is a disgrace. AND it's ugly.

Well if Honda does something right it's FWD and that P-AWS system is the best rear steering system to date, or so they say.

But I am not worried about that, what really is a deal breaker is that basic trim has 12 way power seats but if you opt for the most expensive package you get ventilated 6 way power seats. So in order to get cooled seats you have to opt for the most expensive package but then you get less adjustable seats as well. That is huge WTF
Old 02-16-13, 07:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
OMFG... I just realized that this thing is FRONT WHEEL DRIVE????. It's not SH-AWD? My God, it's not...
I agree that not having the SH-AWD standard any more is a step backward.....along with the new car's (seemingly) less-solid construction. But, in fairness, Acura may be trying to increase the car's potential outside of bad-weather areas. And, not to unfairly diss Lexus (this is CAR CHAT, but primarily in a Lexus forum), but you won't find any non-SUV Lexus sedans (or even a base RX350) with standard AWD either...it is an option. Even on the LS460 flagship (though the LS600h, with its rear-axle electric motors, is technically AWD), base versions are RWD.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-16-13 at 07:49 PM.
Old 02-16-13, 08:32 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

this is basically DOA. as everyone has said, it's too expensive for what it is, and offers very VERY little that anyone else isn't offering, and it's not offering a lot of what many others do. also doesn't help that it's really boring looking. interior is quite nice though.
Old 02-16-13, 09:35 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Reminds me of the Cadillac XTS, Buick technology for a Cadillac price. Same thing with the Lincoln MKS. Somebody really should run a comparision of what $60,000 buys you. Have these three cars with AWD, loaded to the gills against an AWD Benz E350, AWD BMW 535i, Audi A6 with the supercharged v6, and a Jag XF AWD with the supercharged six.

I know for $60,000 you aren't going to get much on the option sheet with the European cars, but I bet you anything they handily drive nicer and outperform the FWD based cars.
Old 02-16-13, 10:44 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Fail. 10 char
Old 02-16-13, 11:15 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

Wow! That thing is ugly. It looks like goofy giant Accord. It's a shame because I used to really like RL and Legend back in the day. Acura really needs to step their game up.
Old 02-17-13, 12:33 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree that not having the SH-AWD standard any more is a step backward.....along with the new car's (seemingly) less-solid construction. But, in fairness, Acura may be trying to increase the car's potential outside of bad-weather areas. And, not to unfairly diss Lexus (this is CAR CHAT, but primarily in a Lexus forum), but you won't find any non-SUV Lexus sedans (or even a base RX350) with standard AWD either...it is an option. Even on the LS460 flagship (though the LS600h, with its rear-axle electric motors, is technically AWD), base versions are RWD.
Right, the LS doesn't come with AWD standard, but it is a RWD sedan.

A FWD flagship is a major fail ... At least audi puts quattro in their models so we don't have to be stuck with FWD (They are designed primarily as FWD as I understand)
Old 02-17-13, 03:07 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
this is basically DOA. as everyone has said, it's too expensive for what it is, and offers very VERY little that anyone else isn't offering, and it's not offering a lot of what many others do. also doesn't help that it's really boring looking. interior is quite nice though.
Hmmm it actually offers whole a lot (if you are thinking about tech) and technology it offers probably works as advertised and much better than German counterparts kind of like Lexus implementation. For example Lane Keep actually steers you back in the lane, Cruise control actually works in stop and go traffic, etc. Like I said I could bet that those features work better than anything Europeans have to offer and for much less price. Yes it's missing things like nightvision, hud, seat massagers but those are completely irrelevant in terms of usability and actual demand. What RLX doesn't have is probably the most useful tech found in Accord, right view mirror camera that shows on your NAV screen whenever you put on right turn signal. Why? Well because it's an Acura and Acuras don't make sense.

RLX has problem with design, packaging and pricing. That will kill it faster than previous RL and it will depreciate like Jag.

I would say that sales ratio of hybrid SH-AWD to regular gasoline model will be higher than any other manufacturer that offers hybrid model.

Last edited by Vladi; 02-17-13 at 03:14 AM.
Old 02-17-13, 10:39 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vladi
Well if Honda does something right it's FWD and that P-AWS system is the best rear steering system to date, or so they say.

But I am not worried about that, what really is a deal breaker is that basic trim has 12 way power seats but if you opt for the most expensive package you get ventilated 6 way power seats. So in order to get cooled seats you have to opt for the most expensive package but then you get less adjustable seats as well. That is huge WTF
Hehe one step forward, two steps back

Anyways, this RLX seems to be an interesting car. It's just that as flagship vehicle.......I may not choose the FWD version (even with P-AWS or whatever fancy stuff they word it).

I agree that not making SH-AWD as standard equipment (like the last gen) is kinda ruining it a bit......

Oh well, I just hope that Hybrid AWD with three motors and DCT comes out....
Old 02-17-13, 04:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vladi
Hmmm it actually offers whole a lot (if you are thinking about tech) and technology it offers probably works as advertised and much better than German counterparts kind of like Lexus implementation. For example Lane Keep actually steers you back in the lane, Cruise control actually works in stop and go traffic, etc. Like I said I could bet that those features work better than anything Europeans have to offer and for much less price. Yes it's missing things like nightvision, hud, seat massagers but those are completely irrelevant in terms of usability and actual demand.
^^ new ad slogan: "cheaper than german cars and works better." well that's kinda what lexus does. but a loaded ES ($50K?) seems to make a whole lot more sense than a loaded RLX ($60K w/o SH-AWD).

I would say that sales ratio of hybrid SH-AWD to regular gasoline model will be higher than any other manufacturer that offers hybrid model.
except if they only offer the SH-AWD as loaded, then it's going to be well north of $60K at which point someone will probably just buy a pretty loaded A6 Quattro.
Old 02-17-13, 04:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

actually at those prices, might just as well get an equus instead of an rlx.
Old 02-17-13, 04:52 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

thanks for links. first one very informative although that presenter's style of deliberately slowing down his talking for emphasis is very annoying.

the second one (autocross rlx vs 535i) was great too. first time i watched it i didn't pay any attention to the SECOND camera on the rear wheel, but second time i did and you can see how the rear steering helps the car. seems to handle very flat and in that comparo at least, it beat the (heavy) 535i. also, the 535i auto tranny sounded lazy and the exhaust note booming.
Old 02-17-13, 07:22 PM
doublehh03
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Car is good, but good doesn't stand out in this competitive segment, considering Acura doesn't have the brand recognition of like a BMW/MB/Lexus.

PAWS should be standard. And Acura should have released the hybrid version first to hype it up, since a lot of the press is really praising it.

Quick Reply: First Drive: 2014 Acura RLX