Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First Drive: 2014 Acura RLX

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-13, 05:03 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

RLX trims do not make any sense. In order to get ventilated seats you have to go with the most expensive package. In order to get power rear sunshade you have to get Krell audio but you do get power folding mirrors in the first package above the base trim. Who comes up with this stuff?
Old 02-15-13, 06:35 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yawn

and omg yeah the taillights.
Old 02-15-13, 06:46 PM
LexFather

There is not even value in this car, like the ILX is overpriced. The base car is fwd with synthetic leather and still accord based. The main focus seems to be in rear seat room like that's the main reason people but this car. You have to spend 60k just to get ventilated seats, something on non luxury cars. In contrast for a similar price you get a RWD GS with more tech and features and it has a brand new platform. The 5 is based on a more expensive 7 series. Why does this cost so much? At least Audi prices their FWD car at 42k (though with less power). So far reviews make it sound like an ES/Lacrosse/Town Car competitor.

At this rate the hybrid will be 70k and good luck with that, it's already a tiny niche market.

In really puzzled how they made this, saw the competition and felt it was a winner.

Old 02-15-13, 07:01 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
There is not even value in this car, like the ILX is overpriced. The base car is fwd with synthetic leather and still accord based. The main focus seems to be in rear seat room like that's the main reason people but this car. You have to spend 60k just to get ventilated seats, something on non luxury cars. In contrast for a similar price you get a RWD GS with more tech and features and it has a brand new platform. The 5 is based on a more expensive 7 series. Why does this cost so much? At least Audi prices their FWD car at 42k (though with less power). So far reviews make it sound like an ES/Lacrosse/Town Car competitor.

At this rate the hybrid will be 70k and good luck with that, it's already a tiny niche market.

In really puzzled how they made this, saw the competition and felt it was a winner.
The way I see it, they are simply just a premium brand like Infiniti, Buick, Lincoln, and Volvo. (edit: Like Lincoln, I believe Acura is trying to follow the "smart luxury" which just means premium and not BMW fighters)

From the spy shots of the next MDX I'm none too thrilled at it's bulkiness and ho-hum looks.

I honestly think the NSX is make it or break it for them to be taken seriously. The differentiation between their models is bad enough, throw in almost identical powertrains, little innovation and the outlook is not good. The upcoming TLX will almost certainly grow in size which negates the whole purpose of the RLX. They have no RSX replacement .

Acura needs a kick in the pants. They used to have (less now maybe some) much brand loyal customers who have since been taken by other makes who just "do it better".

To their credit the RDX looks good and is a significant successor to it's turbo4 predecessor. But one model isn't enough. They need to infuse some passion back into the brand. What happened to Type-S models??? Can we get some more SH-AWD/P-AWS??? Hell follow Audi's formula with Quattro.

I have a vision of Acura being a sharp and dynamic Japanese automaker, but what I see isn't translating to reality :/
Old 02-15-13, 07:14 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

4GS over this each and every single time. Price the SH-AWD model around 55K loaded then maybe Acura might get to have my money.
Old 02-15-13, 07:14 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The way I see it, they are simply just a premium brand like Infiniti, Buick, Lincoln, and Volvo. (edit: Like Lincoln, I believe Acura is trying to follow the "smart luxury" which just means premium and not BMW fighters)

From the spy shots of the next MDX I'm none too thrilled at it's bulkiness and ho-hum looks.

I honestly think the NSX is make it or break it for them to be taken seriously. The differentiation between their models is bad enough, throw in almost identical powertrains, little innovation and the outlook is not good. The upcoming TLX will almost certainly grow in size which negates the whole purpose of the RLX. They have no RSX replacement .

Acura needs a kick in the pants. They used to have (less now maybe some) much brand loyal customers who have since been taken by other makes who just "do it better".

To their credit the RDX looks good and is a significant successor to it's turbo4 predecessor. But one model isn't enough. They need to infuse some passion back into the brand. What happened to Type-S models??? Can we get some more SH-AWD/P-AWS??? Hell follow Audi's formula with Quattro.

I have a vision of Acura being a sharp and dynamic Japanese automaker, but what I see isn't translating to reality :/
They should pack it up and just sell as premium Hondas like Hyundai. The Rdx is only fooling them, all bland SUVs sell and a ford escape or hyundai/ Kia SUV with options has more features and tech. It's just something for loyal fans.

I look at the GS launch and initial reviews and this seems beyond boring and a snoozefest. Maybe I'm biased as the GS is now the sportiest drive in class. . How can you debut something like this after 8 years and after everyone else? How do you make 3 generations of last place forgettable cars? It's actually a remarkable feet in that aspect.

Old 02-15-13, 07:23 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Blueprint
They should pack it up and just sell as premium Hondas like Hyundai. The Rdx is only fooling them, all bland SUVs sell and a ford escape or hyundai/ Kia SUV with options has more features and tech. It's just something for loyal fans.

I look at the GS launch and initial reviews and this seems beyond boring and a snoozefest. Maybe I'm biased as the GS is now the sportiest drive in class. . How can you debut something like this after 8 years and after everyone else? How do you make 3 generations of last place forgettable cars? It's actually a remarkable feet in that aspect.
I might actually agree on that. Scrap the RLX, rebadge it as a Legend as your top of the line sedan for Honda. Hell a 370hp AWD Legend might be a fun alternative to a Genesis sedan.

Actually there's so much validity to that. You're essentially "last to the market" so to speak, and EVERYONE has played their cards, EVERYONE!! Acura and their Honda overlords have seen what has come to the market, what the new standards are, what tech, what innovations and this, they come out with a bland body and some "happening" Jeweled headlights.... ........ wait ......... for ....... it....... .

Unless the NSX comes to fruition and is a smash, I think they're doing worse then Lincoln in terms of direction. The MKC Lincoln small ute looks excellent, and dealers can't keep MKZ's on the lots. Things are at least happening over there (be it for better or worse), but Acura... come-on guys!! Do something!!
Old 02-15-13, 07:39 PM
EthanV
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
yawn

and omg yeah the taillights.

Let flip it over
Old 02-16-13, 05:02 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

:/
Actually TLX will get smaller. "Surprising" decision considering who is running the show.
Old 02-16-13, 08:27 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 584 Likes on 403 Posts

I actually prefer the look of the ILX front because it's simpler and less offensive to my eyes
Ah forgot about the ILX, just like a majority of car buyers I think it's just a bit too bland though. If they tried to import it straight to the RLX it'd be a bigger block of blah
Old 02-16-13, 08:58 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Vladi
Actually TLX will get smaller. "Surprising" decision considering who is running the show.
Info/details/site on this info? I hadn't heard that. I don't doubt you, I just like to "see for myself" so to speak
Old 02-16-13, 09:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I looked at one, inside and out, at the D.C. auto show last week (Acura had a dark-blue one on a stand, but accessable and unlocked)........though I couldn't actually test-drive it at the show like I did the new Avalon and Cadillac XTS. Still, though a decent car, its build-quality, overall solidness, and trim-level seemed compromised compared to the superbness of the last-generation car....which was built like a tank. Acura may (?) have done more or less the the same mistake with the RL this year that Honda did with last year's Civic. In its favor, though, some of the dash instrumentation and gauges seemed better-designed on the new RL than the last one, which had a few quirks inside.
Old 02-16-13, 12:39 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Old 02-16-13, 12:56 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Looks better inside and out in the video vs. pictures. Even the front end (beak) is't too bad. Still too pricey IMO but kind of interesting. Maybe Acrua will find a bit of an audience for the car, probably not too many buyers though.
Old 02-16-13, 04:07 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

OMFG... I just realized that this thing is FRONT WHEEL DRIVE????. It's not SH-AWD? My God, it's not...

http://www.acuranews.com/channels/ac...specifications

Engine Layout
Transversely mounted, front-engine

Drivetrain
Front Wheel Drive with Precision All-Wheel Steer™ (P-AWS)
WTF are they thinking? And they want HOW MUCH for it? Oh it has "Precision All Wheel Steering" now, "P-AWS". woo-ha-hoo (sarcasm). With FWD I wouldn't even be able to step on the gas in the wet until like 3rd or 4th gear. This thing is a disgrace. AND it's ugly.

Quick Reply: First Drive: 2014 Acura RLX