Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus tops J.D. Power's most dependable car ranking

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-13, 04:20 PM
ms2619
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Land rover lolol
Old 02-14-13, 04:21 PM
Kentchup
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

varyy nicee lexus ftw!
Old 02-14-13, 04:25 PM
IS2FIFTY
Lead Lap

very nice !
Old 02-14-13, 04:50 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

They said new models is more reliable than carryovers? I thought the opposite; do they cut corners after the first design or something?
Old 02-14-13, 04:52 PM
509IS350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea! Lexus ftw!
Old 02-14-13, 05:08 PM
don
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

According to the chart/article, it's based off of 2010 models. Was this pre-recall-craze?
Old 02-14-13, 08:05 PM
Sledder
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Nice...

Surprised to see Porsche and Mercedes in the top 5. I've never owned either, but always thought of them to be on the slightly unreliable side of things - especially when compared to Honda and Toyota (who are not in the top 5).
Porsche is actually quite often among the top of the list. Incredibly good quality.
Old 02-14-13, 09:15 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats Lexus
Old 02-14-13, 09:23 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I love it
Old 02-14-13, 11:35 PM
TerrySmith
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sledder
Porsche is actually quite often among the top of the list. Incredibly good quality.
Well, I'm 0 for 2 with Top Gear, but 2 for 2 with JD Power, at least.
Old 02-15-13, 05:30 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...r-ranking.html
Old 02-15-13, 08:58 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
Nissan's products always rank low, nothing have changed.

I am wondering why Scion rank so low when Toyota/Lexus are so high. Are the cheaper Scion really are less reliable?

probably nothing wrong with powertrain, but other cheap parts generate petty complaints
Old 02-15-13, 09:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint

Why is infiniti so low and actually worse than Nissan? Egads
For one (possible) reason, the Nissan/Infiniti plant at Canton, MS was known, several years in a row, for poor quality-control, sloppy-assembly, and a relatively large number of defects per vehicle. Of course, not all American-market Nissans are built there (there is another Nissan plant across the border at Smyrna, TN, along wth Nissan USA headquarters there). But the Canton plant dragged the average Nissan/Infiniti quality level down for several years, until they finally addressed those problems. As to your specific question........why Infiniti quality itself would be worse than Nissan, there are several possible explanations. One of them (and IMO the most likely one), is that the large Infiniti QX-56 (which is built at the Canton plant), being more complex to assemble than its Nissan Armada brother (also built at that plant), simply created more opportunities for humans and machines/robots at that plant to make mistakes.

This list, of course, also was for three-year-old 2010 models, not new 2013's, so, of course, it would be more likely to include Canton-built vehicles before they recently got that plant up to snuff.

In the J.D. Power survey, owners of three year old 2010 model year cars were asked about how many problems they'd had with their vehicles in the past year. The rankings were based on the number of problems owners reported per 100 vehicles of each make and model surveyed.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-15-13 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-15-13, 09:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I'm a little surprised myself with Subaru being down there in the middle of the pack. Consumer Reports has had them at or near the top for quite some time now. It could (?), though, reflect some of the cost-cutting in the design of their vehicles that Subaru started around 2008-2009...I've talked about that in detail in other threads. Or, more likely, just the fact that I (usually) don't consider J.D. Power's data to be as accurate as that from CR.
Old 02-15-13, 09:51 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
For one (possible) reason, the Nissan/Infiniti plant at Canton, MS was known, several years in a row, for poor quality-control, sloppy-assembly, and a relatively large number of defects per vehicle. Of course, not all American-market Nissans are built there (there is another Nissan plant across the border at Smyrna, TN, along wth Nissan USA headquarters there). But the Canton plant dragged the average Nissan/Infiniti quality level down for several years, until they finally addressed those problems. As to your specific question........why Infiniti quality itself would be worse than Nissan, there are several possible explanations. One of them (and IMO the most likely one), is that the large Infiniti QX-56 (which is built at the Canton plant), being more complex to assemble than its Nissan Armada brother (also built at that plant), simply created more opportunities for humans and machines/robots at that plant to make mistakes.

This list, of course, also was for three-year-old 2010 models, not new 2013's, so, of course, it would be more likely to include Canton-built vehicles before they recently got that plant up to snuff.
Mike they moved QX56 production to Japan since its now based on the Nissan Petrol and not the Armada anymore. Maybe its the Tennessee built JX? They have been up and down on this report the last few years now, not sure why.

Quick Reply: Lexus tops J.D. Power's most dependable car ranking