Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus tops J.D. Power's most dependable car ranking

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-13, 10:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Mike they moved QX56 production to Japan since its now based on the Nissan Petrol and not the Armada anymore.
True, but this survey started with three-year-old models. I think they were still building it at Canton back then.

Maybe its the Tennessee built JX? They have been up and down on this report the last few years now, not sure why.
Possibly. When I reviewed a new JX last summer, it seemed quite well-built, but you can't always gauge long-term reliability in the showroom or when it's brand-new. Also, the JX didn't exist three years ago...it's only been on the road for about 8-9 months. Since then, of course, the new Pathfinder is also debuting...which is done on the same platform.
Old 02-15-13, 10:08 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
True, but this survey started with three-year-old models. I think they were still building it at Canton back then.

Possibly. When I reviewed a new JX last summer, it seemed quite well-built, but you can't always gauge long-term reliability in the showroom or when it's brand-new. Also, the JX didn't exist three years ago...it's only been on the road for about 8-9 months. Since then, of course, the new Pathfinder is also debuting...which is done on the same platform.
Damn, you are right, this is 2010...well not sure what the issues were then

Old 02-15-13, 11:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sledder
Porsche is actually quite often among the top of the list. Incredibly good quality.
Porsche better have quality. Have you checked out the over-the-counter prices of many of their parts?
Old 02-15-13, 05:23 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
I am wondering why Scion rank so low when Toyota/Lexus are so high. Are the cheaper Scion really are less reliable?
...or why Lincoln is tied with Toyota in 3rd place, yet Ford is below average. Have the models that Ford does not share with Lincoln pulled down its average (being 2010 MY vehicles, perhaps the old Focus and Escape pulled down Ford's average)?
Old 02-15-13, 05:58 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
probably nothing wrong with powertrain, but other cheap parts generate petty complaints
I guess Scion's placing 5th last year was an exception then. BTW Toyota's PP100 actually worsened from 104 last year to 112 this year, despite finishing in the same 4th place. Hopefully the trend will reverse soon. Though still below the industry average, Nissan and Infiniti both improved a lot this year.

Last edited by ydooby; 02-15-13 at 06:12 PM.
Old 02-16-13, 11:57 AM
mrraider
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Sulu
...or why Lincoln is tied with Toyota in 3rd place, yet Ford is below average. Have the models that Ford does not share with Lincoln pulled down its average (being 2010 MY vehicles, perhaps the old Focus and Escape pulled down Ford's average)?
Statistical variability. Low volume brands will swing up and down much more than high volume brands. My guess is companies like Scion or Volvo are affected by that.
Old 02-16-13, 07:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I notice that Land Rover is not on the list. Traditionally, they have been on the very bottom of the reliability-list, with both Consumer Reports and J.D. Power. A shame, because they so good at combining tough off-road/bad-weather capability with refinement and a plush interior.
Old 02-16-13, 10:53 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I notice that Land Rover is not on the list. Traditionally, they have been on the very bottom of the reliability-list, with both Consumer Reports and J.D. Power. A shame, because they so good at combining tough off-road/bad-weather capability with refinement and a plush interior.
They weren't last year but they are this year (see my post on page 1). I'm guessing their sales volume in 2009 was too poor for J.D. Power to consider their inclusion statistically meaningful.