Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes-Benz A45 AMG shows up to fight the hottest hatches

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-13, 01:17 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by pvmike1
You call that interior luxury? No hot hatch buyer is looking for "luxury amenities" in their hatchback, unless by luxury you mean faux carbon dash and detachable nav screen.

I'd take an STi or Golf R over this any day. Would you personally buy this car?
Luxury sport* I would. With nicer materials than you will find in the aforementioned hatches though the Golf has stepped up a bit with this latest iteration.

I would strongly consider this hatch if it were available here in the States, but only in AWD AMG guise. Part of the reason I won't get a Focus ST or Mazdaspeed3 because the omission of AWD despite my fondness for their exteriors
Old 02-15-13, 01:27 PM
LexFather

You call that interior luxury? No hot hatch buyer is looking for "luxury amenities" in their hatchback, unless by luxury you mean faux carbon dash and detachable nav screen.

I'd take an STi or Golf R over this any day. Would you personally buy this car?
You would pay 40k for a loaded Sti or EVO? That is the problem for the cars now, too much money for the badge and great capabilities but no panache.

There seems to be a market for them. I didn't understand it before but I do now.

Also it adds to the AMG portfolio. I think Audi stated for example they are only going to sell a few RS3's but it helps with the image of the brand.

Old 02-15-13, 06:20 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

No, actually I wouldn't buy a hatchback at $40k. But that's because I'd buy a truck, SUV, sedan, and sports car first, and I have no need for a hatchback.

I have owned a hatchback in the past, but I was in my early 20's and it was my do everything car. Of the 30-40 year olds that I know who own STi's and Evo's, it isn't their only car and often it is their commuter car. It is essentially their daily beater with additional utility and fun. They aren't buying for luxury or panache.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see this hitting the mark for the 30-40 year old target market that I know. Actually, most that I know are interested in the BRZ and FR-S...
Old 02-15-13, 06:49 PM
LexFather

^^ I'm sure this is a very small niche market, maybe 1k units a year if it was here. To me just by them building it is a statement.

Lexus has been slow as molasses to expand the F portfolio in comparison and as a Lexus enthusiast in the market it's frustrating.

Old 02-15-13, 07:07 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Blueprint
^^ I'm sure this is a very small niche market, maybe 1k units a year if it was here. To me just by them building it is a statement.

Lexus has been slow as molasses to expand the F portfolio in comparison and as a Lexus enthusiast in the market it's frustrating.
Yup. LFA was a statement (hell BMW doesn't even have a Supercar). NSX will be a statement (I hope).

Lexus is taking their dear sweet time (ugh ), but we both know that they are doing their homework this time around. These won't be half a**ed machines (like some F-Sport models such as the IS - GS/LS rectified that by actually making mechanical changes). Yes they are taking some time but the result should be well worth it. Just look at how the normal GS took on the segment. Currently the leading in most categories except fuel economy lol.
Old 02-15-13, 07:20 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Yup. LFA was a statement (hell BMW doesn't even have a Supercar). NSX will be a statement (I hope).

Lexus is taking their dear sweet time (ugh ), but we both know that they are doing their homework this time around. These won't be half a**ed machines (like some F-Sport models such as the IS - GS/LS rectified that by actually making mechanical changes). Yes they are taking some time but the result should be well worth it. Just look at how the normal GS took on the segment. Currently the leading in most categories except fuel economy lol.
True but they need a sense of urgency and need to move faster. The CT has been around 3 years with no major updates yet and no higher power option. With the new IS coming and LFA production done there technically isn't any F models soon unless the GS F finally comes.

M AMG and RS are expanding daily ... Lexus needs to make it happen!!!

Old 02-15-13, 07:25 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Blueprint
True but they need a sense of urgency and need to move faster. The CT has been around 3 years with no major updates yet and no higher power option. With the new IS coming and LFA production done there technically isn't any F models soon unless the GS F finally comes.

M AMG and RS are expanding daily ... Lexus needs to make it happen!!!
I wouldn't be surprised if the upcoming BMW i3 had an M variant lol
Old 08-01-14, 08:45 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mercedes-Benz A-Class Sedan envisioned as a smaller and cheaper CLA

Would compete with the A3 Sedan and upcoming 1-Series Sedan

Theophilus Chin decided to digitally illustrate an entry-level Mercedes-Benz sedan to sit below the "four-door coupe" CLA.

Earlier this year we heard Daimler CEO Dieter Zetsche saying there won't be a smaller model to slot below the A-Class, thus putting an end to rumors concerning a potential X-Class co-developed with Renault. Filling the gap between the Smart and the A-Class, the model was allegedly supposed to come out in 2018 riding on the Clio platform and with a starting price of less than 20,000 EUR.

Now, Theophilus Chin has decided to show us his vision of a smaller and cheaper model within the A-Class family. It's a proper sedan unlike the "four-door coupe" CLA and also comes with a shorter front overhang for a more compact size. Such a model would be an adversary of the Audi A3 Sedan and a probable BMW 1-Series Sedan scheduled to come out in 2017 with a front-wheel drive layout, just like its German rivals.

Mercedes-Benz does have expansion plans for its entry-level family but it only involves a CLA Shooting Brake, the fourth member after the A-Class, CLA and GLA. There could even be a fifth member in the form of a GLA Coupe as hinted recently by the firm's head of research and development Thomas Weber who said more crossovers are on the way.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11408017...-a-smaller-and
Old 08-01-14, 03:53 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

hahaha are they serious ?!
Old 03-10-15, 08:15 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Mercedes-Benz A45 AMG facelift spied with minimal camouflage

Click here to view more photos

To debut this fall

[update]: The photographed vehicle is not the A45 AMG version, but probably an AMG Sport variant for the A-Class.

The facelifted version of the Mercedes-Benz A45 AMG has been caught on camera on a parking lot in the city of Noordwijk, the Netherlands.

Seen here is lightly camouflaged test prototype of the refreshed A-Class. Despite featuring the standard radiator grille and bumpers, the machine appears to be the most powerful A45 AMG variant, as it is equipped with double exhaust pipes at the back. Judging by the photos, the model will likely receive redesigned headlights and taillights, as well as some modifications for the bumpers.

Last month Mercedes-AMG CEO Tobias Moers confirmed the facelifted A45 AMG will be introduced this fall and will “be the most powerful again”, which means the model will receive a power boost. Speculations suggest the maximum power of the hot hatch could climb to approximately 380 HP (280 kW), which will be enough for a 0-100 km/h (0-62 mph) acceleration in 4.5 seconds and an electronically-limited top speed of 250 km/h (155 mph).
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11503109...mal-camouflage
Old 03-11-15, 12:13 AM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would you personally buy this car?
Yes I probably would.
Old 03-18-15, 06:32 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default 2016 Mercedes-Benz A-Class spied with minimal camouflage

Click here to view more photos

Likely debuting at IAA in September

Our spies have sent us a fresh batch of images with the upcoming 2016 Mercedes-Benz A-Class facelift.

Mercedes-Benz applied a subtle facelift on the B-Class back in September last year and now its slightly smaller brother is about to receive just about the same cosmetic tweaks. There's not much disguise on this blue prototype because changes will be limited to revised graphics for the headlights and taillights along with some minor front bumper and grille revisions.

You probably have noticed the exhaust tips have been integrated into the rear bumper to enable a cleaner design, as seen in recent models with the three-pointed star. Spy shots of the interior cabin are not available in this set, but in February we saw a prototype which had a new steering wheel, revised infotainment system and updated switchgear.

The engine lineup will be largely carried over, but the range-topping A45 AMG will receive a power boost to overtake the 367 HP Audi RS3 Sportback in terms of power. While the current A45 AMG has 360 HP (265 kW), the revised version is expected to get around 380 HP (280 kW) if we were to believe recent gossip.
A public debut of the facelifted A-Class range is expected in September at the Frankfurt Motor Show while an online reveal could occur in August.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11503189...mal-camouflage