Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Question: Why Are Dealers Selling 2014's When 2013 Has Just Begun?

Old 02-13-13, 10:11 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Lightbulb Question: Why Are Dealers Selling 2014's When 2013 Has Just Begun?

The answer surprised me, it doesn't have anything to do with "advance" marketing. It concerns leasing. The story I heard last week didn't have anything to do with one manufacturer countering his rivals with progressively newer cars . . . it seems that you can't sell a 2014 until CY 2013 at best. Remember that when new cars traditionally debuted in the fall, you can't deliver a car more than ONE year newer than the current calendar year for the reason of that two or three month gap. Now you can sell a sell a 2014 in 2013 because the law doesn't make any distinction about WHEN in 2013 you can start your sales. You COULD sell 2014's on Jan 1 of 2013.

But here's the fly in the ointment. While the MY of a new car may be 2014, the VIN plate has to reflect the year, not the date of manufacture. We assume a model year 2014 car was first registered in 2014, but when once that was "pretty close", today the model and calendar years may show a considerable variation. My 2004 RX330 was manufactured in May 2003 in Japan, then delivered to me in late June of 2003. Technically, I had a -6 month old car. I held onto my 2000 RX300 for an extra 3 months in order to get my hands on a 2004 RX330 rather than a 6-month "old" 2003 RX300. The leasing company wasn't happy about it, but the factory kept delaying shipment of the new models.

If you lease a car toward the end of its model year, you might have driven it for three years, but you will be retuning a FOUR year old car. You can take a pretty good hit for that non-existent year of your lease. Many leasing companies are now recognizing this and writing leases earlier in the year to allow their customers to recapture some of that loss by turning the lease in somewhere in mid-year. Leasing a current MY car in the fall is going to cost you - and you might want to add that factor into your negotiations. There are ways to negate this effect on your residual value, but you must have them in place at signing.

There are so many factors that play into your lease cost, including incentives, money factors and capitalized costs, you need to talk with a good investment adviser and an experienced leasing agent before you commit. That money burning a hole in your pocket might be better invested somewhere else for a time.
Old 02-14-13, 06:01 PM
Vasili
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lexus is a Japanese company.

In terms of time zones, they are well ahead of us here in the US.

Apparently, so are their calendars.
Old 02-15-13, 04:58 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's why I don't use model year names.

Hence you won't see me say "2013 Lexus GS350 F-sport" but rather I would say "4th Generation Lexus GS350 F-sport" or "Lexus GS350 (GRL10).......wherein L10 is the model code series number"

=)
Old 02-15-13, 05:22 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

I believe automobiles will eventually switch to a "version" system. Mid-model year modifications to vehicles are becoming commonplace.
Old 02-15-13, 05:34 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Outrage
I believe automobiles will eventually switch to a "version" system. Mid-model year modifications to vehicles are becoming commonplace.
It's funny if you look at it- mid year changes and such were way more common back 50's and 60's.
Old 02-15-13, 05:54 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Lil4X
The answer surprised me, it doesn't have anything to do with "advance" marketing. It concerns leasing. The story I heard last week didn't have anything to do with one manufacturer countering his rivals with progressively newer cars . . . it seems that you can't sell a 2014 until CY 2013 at best. Remember that when new cars traditionally debuted in the fall, you can't deliver a car more than ONE year newer than the current calendar year for the reason of that two or three month gap. Now you can sell a sell a 2014 in 2013 because the law doesn't make any distinction about WHEN in 2013 you can start your sales. You COULD sell 2014's on Jan 1 of 2013.

But here's the fly in the ointment. While the MY of a new car may be 2014, the VIN plate has to reflect the year, not the date of manufacture. We assume a model year 2014 car was first registered in 2014, but when once that was "pretty close", today the model and calendar years may show a considerable variation. My 2004 RX330 was manufactured in May 2003 in Japan, then delivered to me in late June of 2003. Technically, I had a -6 month old car. I held onto my 2000 RX300 for an extra 3 months in order to get my hands on a 2004 RX330 rather than a 6-month "old" 2003 RX300. The leasing company wasn't happy about it, but the factory kept delaying shipment of the new models.

If you lease a car toward the end of its model year, you might have driven it for three years, but you will be retuning a FOUR year old car. You can take a pretty good hit for that non-existent year of your lease. Many leasing companies are now recognizing this and writing leases earlier in the year to allow their customers to recapture some of that loss by turning the lease in somewhere in mid-year. Leasing a current MY car in the fall is going to cost you - and you might want to add that factor into your negotiations. There are ways to negate this effect on your residual value, but you must have them in place at signing.
It is a non issue. Just in the case of the GS for example, it started to be sold late Feb as a 2013 model in 2012. People bought the car immediately, people buy it today, they still offered lease incentives. As a matter of fact this GS has better lease deals compared to any prior GS. The previous GS also debuted in late Feb 2005 as a 2006 model and there was no lease deals. Neither model has been affected by any residual value and both sold well and owners were happy no matter what the date on the car. So here is an example of it having nothing to do with leasing.

Originally Posted by Lil4X
There are so many factors that play into your lease cost, including incentives, money factors and capitalized costs, you need to talk with a good investment adviser and an experienced leasing agent before you commit. That money burning a hole in your pocket might be better invested somewhere else for a time.
I always get a good laugh out of financial commentary on a car forum. This isn't Forbes, this is car chat and there is a ton of great leasing information here. If we all invested our money and didn't buy cars there would be no auto forums or we would all be posting at Civic.com saying I'm only paying $159 a month for a car and how we all have silver and beige cars.

Old 02-15-13, 10:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint

I always get a good laugh out of financial commentary on a car forum. This isn't Forbes, this is car chat and there is a ton of great leasing information here.
I agree that Car Chat isn't Forbes, but I don't see where Bob said anything wrong....he was just (correctly) pointing out some of the complexity and many different factors when deciding whether to buy or lease. One of the most important, of course, is if you use the vehicle in buisness, where you can actually deduct the lease-payments. Leasing is also mileage-limited and subject to wear-and-tear clauses.

If we all invested our money and didn't buy cars there would be no auto forums or we would all be posting at Civic.com saying I'm only paying $159 a month for a car

Well, I think you and I can both agree that $159 a month (or maybe even less) is about all the new Civics are worth. I'll be the first to admit that Honda blew its design by excessive cost-cutting.

and how we all have silver and beige cars.
A lot of people have dull-colored cars because, first, that's the way a lot of manufacturers mix their paint-hues (I often comment on that in my reviews), and, second, a lot of people (right or wrong) are afraid that bright colors lower the car's potential residual value and it won't re-sell easily.
Old 02-15-13, 05:13 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

...I thought it was so that the manufacturer could enter a car with a current model year vehicle rather than "last year's model" in car-of-the-year contests. Since most COTY contests occur in the September-October timeframe, any car introduced after mid-October or so would have to wait until the following year to enter that car in a COTY contest.

But if the car is introduced early in the new year labelled as a following year model, it can still carry that label when the next COTY contest starts again in the autumn. A car introduced in early 2013 as a 2014 model can enter the 2014 MY COTY contests in Autumn 2013 as a 2014 model rather than seeming to already be in its 2nd-year since introduction.
Old 02-15-13, 05:47 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
A lot of people have dull-colored cars because, first, that's the way a lot of manufacturers mix their paint-hues (I often comment on that in my reviews), and, second, a lot of people (right or wrong) are afraid that bright colors lower the car's potential residual value and it won't re-sell easily.
Funny you mention colors. I surveyed our Lexus storage lot today and all we had were Silver (Tungsten and Liquid Platinum), Gray (Nebula Gray Pearl), Black (Obsidian), and Red (Matador and Riviera), and White (Starfire Pearl). Mind you this is out of 250 cars. On our actual show lot we had a mix of the above and a satin cashmere RX, a meteor blue GS, and a ultra sonic blue CT.

Silver, Gray, Black, Red and White are very popular colors for us.
Old 02-16-13, 09:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Funny you mention colors. I surveyed our Lexus storage lot today and all we had were Silver (Tungsten and Liquid Platinum), Gray (Nebula Gray Pearl), Black (Obsidian), and Red (Matador Riviera), and White (Starfire Pearl). Mind you this is out of 250 cars. On our actual show lot we had a mix of the above and a satin cashmere RX, a meteor blue GS, and a ultra sonic blue CT.

Silver, Gray, Black, Red and White are very popular colors for us.
The Matador Red, though, is beautiful...certainly not, IMO, like the cookie-cutter silver/gray/black you see all over the lot. The White Starfire Pearl is also quite nice. Both are becoming more common as more and more car buyers appreciate their looks. (I bought my own Verano in GM's Crystal Red 3-Coat Pearl, a Lexus Matador Red look-alike.

The Ultra-Blue Sonic is also nice, but Lexus just won't offer it on enough different models.
Old 02-16-13, 11:24 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

White Starfire Pearl is the most beautiful color from Lexus.
Old 02-16-13, 11:25 PM
fly2low
Driver

Originally Posted by blacksc400
White Starfire Pearl is the most beautiful color from Lexus.
+1

3 starfire pearls in a row: ct, rx fsport, and 4gs.

And was never a fan of white cars