Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Quick Spin: 2013 Cadillac ATS Premium 2.0T 6MT

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-13, 01:56 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Quick Spin: 2013 Cadillac ATS Premium 2.0T 6MT

2013 Cadillac ATS Premium 2.0T 6MT

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2013-...photo-5616568/

Engine: 2.0L Inline-4
Power: 272 HP / 260 LB-FT
Transmission: 6-Speed Manual
0-60 Time: 6.0 Seconds
Top Speed: 149 MPH
Drivetrain: Rear-Wheel Drive
Curb Weight: 3,464 LBS
Seating: 2+3
MPG: 19 City / 23 HWY
MSRP: $44,895 (base)

The new Cadillac ATS is an impressive sport sedan, often considered one of the most serious threats to the BMW 3 Series. Unlike GM's previous attempts, this four door brings aggressive styling, commendable chassis dynamics and class-leading handling to the highly competitive battle. And, like its daunting German foe, Cadillac offer several powertrain choices.

I recently spent time with the ATS 2.0T Premium on my home California turf. Fitted with a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine mated to a six-speed manual gearbox with a limited-slip rear differential, my tester was lightly optioned, with only a paint upgrade and a cold weather package. That brought the as-tested price to $46,305, configured the way I imagine most enthusiasts would prefer. This meant I fully expected to enjoy a week with a tossable sport sedan that boasted "fun-to-drive" as its middle name, but all was not well...

Driving Notes
  • The ATS' stiff chassis, strong brakes and upscale interior were my favorite attributes. A close second would be the extraordinary styling that manages to be sporty and bold, yet classy and timeless at the same time.
  • Cadillac's innovative touchscreen CUE interface with haptic feedback may work well in the showroom, but at least for this journo, its application in a bouncy and vibration-laden automotive environment is a mistake. In addition to being slow to respond and frustrating to use, it is a hair-pulling experience trying to steady a pointer finger to touch the proper real estate whether that is a capacitive touch volume bar or greasy fingerprinted flat panel display. Cadillac actually provides a microfiber cloth in the glovebox to wipe it clean, but isn't that admitting a preexisting flaw (would you have confidence in an automaker who provided an oil drip pan with each new it car sold)?
  • I am a huge fan of GM's magnetic ride control suspension, but I didn't like its tuning in this ATS. When pushed hard, the rear tires seemed to skip over imperfections in the pavement, meaning the rubber wasn't staying in contact with the undulations in the road. The two-mode damping was almost too firm in default setting and then harsh when configured to sport mode (the console-mounted button must inexplicably be pushed twice to toggle the suspension change).
  • This segment is embracing 2.0-liter four-cylinder engines for their excellent combination of power and fuel efficiency, but I found little to like with the turbocharged engine in the ATS. It felt and sounded buzzy, with nothing but racket coming from under the hood. Plus, it ran out of steam well before redline and fuel economy on my enthusiastically driven watch was not spectacular (16 mpg around town and 26 mpg on the highway). While it did provide decent power, especially in the thick of its torque band, it desperately needs a sporty exhaust note to bring a bit more excitement to the game.
  • I generally prefer manual transmissions, yet the traditional six-speed gearbox in the ATS didn't impress me one bit. Its gearing is too short (60 mph requires a shift to third) and its throws are very mechanical in feel. In execution, the shifts cannot be hurried as it only results in a rubbery response from the driveline. Many of my peers say the 3.6-liter V6 mated to a six-speed automatic (as we reviewed in our First Drive) is a much better powertrain choice. The driver in me finds that a bummer.
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/02/06/2...mium-2-0t-6mt/

Last edited by Hoovey689; 02-06-13 at 01:59 PM.
Old 02-06-13, 03:31 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd take one ---- impressivley light weight at 3464 lbs
Old 02-06-13, 05:37 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

love... this... car.
Old 02-06-13, 06:36 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
I'd take one ---- impressivley light weight at 3464 lbs
That's only about 45 lbs. less than the original CTS. Hardly light-on-its-feet.

Call me negative, but I don't see anything I like from the General anymore - including the UGLY C7 Corvette.
Old 02-06-13, 07:03 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
love... this... car.
Caddy's design language works on the ATS.
Old 02-06-13, 07:23 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

I love this car. My mom got one as a loaner car and I thought it was pretty cool. It's quick and it looks good,. Ours was an automatic but you could hear the turbo making noises when you put it in manual mode.

It's one of the coolest Cadillacs since the XLR. I noticed it was roughly the same size as the original CTS too.
Old 02-06-13, 09:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I hope to (briefly) sample both an ATS and XTS test-drive this weekend at the D.C. show, when Cadillac will have its test-drive circuit set up outside. If I get a chance, I'll report on what my impressions were.

In the meantime, though, in the article, the author didn't seem very impressed with the suspension/tires. Other press-reviews I've read of the ATS generally agreed.

I am a huge fan of GM's magnetic ride control suspension, but I didn't like its tuning in this ATS. When pushed hard, the rear tires seemed to skip over imperfections in the pavement, meaning the rubber wasn't staying in contact with the undulations in the road. The two-mode damping was almost too firm in default setting and then harsh when configured to sport mode (the console-mounted button must inexplicably be pushed twice to toggle the suspension change).
As for his other impressions, press-reviews generally agreed with him, too.
Old 02-07-13, 06:21 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyowner
That's only about 45 lbs. less than the original CTS. Hardly light-on-its-feet.

Call me negative, but I don't see anything I like from the General anymore - including the UGLY C7 Corvette.
so you're gonna stop buying domestics?
Old 02-07-13, 07:35 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
so you're gonna stop buying domestics?
My Alabama-built Ridgeline is the only type of domestic I'm likely to be buying from now on.
Old 02-07-13, 09:47 AM
LexFather

44k base? wow that is adventurous....they are good looking to me but way to close to the CTS.

Old 02-07-13, 10:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blueprint
44k base? wow that is adventurous....they are good looking to me but way to close to the CTS.
Cadillac's web-site has American-market ATS models starting at 33K....probably 34k with destination/freight.

http://www.cadillac.com/ats-luxury-sport-sedan.html
Old 02-07-13, 10:20 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
CTS is getting bigger, more luxurious, and more pricey soon, so it falls in line with 3/5, C/E, IS/GS
Old 02-07-13, 10:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
CTS is getting bigger, more luxurious, and more pricey soon, so it falls in line with 3/5, C/E, IS/GS
Agreed. The much-improved 2Gen CTS, unlike the drab and disappointing 1Gen model, definitely has more bling to it, inside and out, than the ATS. But the ATS itself, IMO, is not drab by any means.
Old 02-07-13, 10:29 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Yeah lets hope it works for them. I saw pics on Jalopnik and was not impressed.

Old 02-07-13, 10:52 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I love the ATS. Id probably place it ahead of the 3 series right now... Got to test drive both the V6 and 2.0T models ... And the V6 was much better. I hate this downsize + turbo trend

Quick Reply: Quick Spin: 2013 Cadillac ATS Premium 2.0T 6MT