Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Corolla official pics!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-13, 03:16 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
Ahh didn't notice it. Very cool then. Wonder how much the option costs. And wonder why it only has one LED bulb on each side. All previous Toyota/Lexus models with LED headlights had at least two LED bulbs on each side to ensure proper breadth of illumination.
bulb has multiple led's inside... plus this one is not bi-led as well as probably newer tech means stronger individual leds inside. Progress.
Old 06-02-13, 03:17 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

but LED Headlights is pretty cool and it seems that they have quite few talking points this time around.

as to Camry, I would guess next year for MY2015, as thats 3 years for Camry and usual age Toyota gives it facelift.
Old 06-02-13, 03:30 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Toyota/Lexus needs to realize that they dont have to wait until the mid cycle to do small touch ups here and there
Old 06-02-13, 03:35 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Toyota/Lexus needs to realize that they dont have to wait until the mid cycle to do small touch ups here and there
I'm sure they see different trends and try to make the best decisions possible. Some "small touch ups" cost more than others, and some are more effective than others.
Old 06-02-13, 03:42 PM
RXSF

it feels like that make the best decisions possible based on their financial statements. Some things cannot like consumer satisfaction and image cant be put into numbers.
Old 06-02-13, 03:55 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

it feels like that make the best decisions possible based on their financial statements. Some things cannot like consumer satisfaction and image cant be put into numbers.
and here I thought Toyota is #1 overall in customer satisfaction, customer sales, and brand image?

:-)
Old 06-02-13, 06:02 PM
RXSF

lol even you, spywolf, Im sure was a bit disappointed to see the corolla get LED headlights as an option while the GX, LX, ES dont have them yet.
Old 06-02-13, 06:31 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

lol even you, spywolf, Im sure was a bit disappointed to see the corolla get LED headlights as an option while the GX, LX, ES dont have them yet.
technology moves every day... I think it is cool that Corolla has LED headlights... nothing in the class has them here in US and it is simply cool. People page back complained how Corolla was backwards, old school and now people complain how it has cooler stuff than Lexus

:-)

I used to be big on "features", but in reality, we both know that Corolla could have all the coolest tech in the world, but it will still be a Toyota and not an Lexus.

Personally I like what they did with IS300h base equipment where we get Xenons and screen in base, and I think they are moving in right direction for me personally - I wont have to get top equipment just to make car look OK, like I/we had before. Next model - Base here we come.
Old 06-02-13, 08:32 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
^^ You read my mind.

The over styling craze sucks, and I am confident said cars will age poorly.
Yes exactly. You can see now already how poorly the Hyundai and Kia designs are aging, and many of the new BMW and Benz overstyled models will age poorly as well.

Originally Posted by GFerg
Very interesting headlight design. Optional LED headlights? Thats unexpected.
http://apps.moontoast.com/toyota/vote/

WOW!

Now THAT is unexpected! Amazing stuff by Toyota, who ever would have expected that? That's a showstopper of an option right there for the compact class.

Now just wait and see what the haters will say about such a big surprising feature.

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
What we see so far is very encouraging, IMO. Front end, headlights, wheels, center stack...looks sharp! In my current car search, I've done some poking and prodding of resources and the word is that the 2015 Camry will get a major rework putting it in line with the styling of the Avalon and this new Corolla.
Yes, there has been a lot of rumbling about the Camry getting a major mid-cycle refresh. It makes sense if you think about it. Look at the LS, Avalon, and Yaris over the past few years. They all got major mid-cycle refreshes, and the Avalon just recently got a brand new redesign. Soon, we should see a brand new redesign for the Yaris, as well as the coming all-new redesign of the LS.

So going by that pattern, Toyota will give a MAJOR refresh to the Camry, followed soon by an all-new next-gen model. The 2014 Tundra is a major refresh as well, and in the next 2 years we should probably see an all-new Tundra.

And wonder why it only has one LED bulb on each side. All previous Toyota/Lexus models with LED headlights had at least two LED bulbs on each side to ensure proper breadth of illumination.
And right on cue, the hate already appears .

This is a Corolla, one of Toyota's low end models. The fact that it's getting ANY LED headlights at all is extraordinary.

It's preposterous to expect dual LED bulbs on a Corolla at this point.

I'm glad you're not running Toyota .

Fact is, Toyota in the past did "small touch ups here and there" at mid-cycle refreshes, which didn't amount to much. Toyota correctly decided to have more significant mid-cycle refreshes.

Small touch ups do still occur once in a while, like the 2013 Camry getting upgraded door panels. Toyota still does minor touch ups like this when needed, and often the touch ups are so minor many don't notice them.

So in summation, you have more major mid-cycle refreshes occurring, and small touch ups here and there only as needed. Toyota no longer wastes time doing mid-cycle small touch ups just for the sake of touch ups. Toyota now at mid-cycle only does more noticeable changes, that are worth doing.

Haters will always find something to hate. Lexus models have a ton of details and features that the Corolla does not.
Old 06-02-13, 10:28 PM
RXSF

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy

I'm glad you're not running Toyota .

Fact is, Toyota in the past did "small touch ups here and there" at mid-cycle refreshes, which didn't amount to much. Toyota correctly decided to have more significant mid-cycle refreshes.

Small touch ups do still occur once in a while, like the 2013 Camry getting upgraded door panels. Toyota still does minor touch ups like this when needed, and often the touch ups are so minor many don't notice them.

So in summation, you have more major mid-cycle refreshes occurring, and small touch ups here and there only as needed. Toyota no longer wastes time doing mid-cycle small touch ups just for the sake of touch ups. Toyota now at mid-cycle only does more noticeable changes, that are worth doing.

Haters will always find something to hate. Lexus models have a ton of details and features that the Corolla does not.
Its not just touch ups for the sake of touch ups. its touch ups to stay with the times. Im just going to use Mercedes as an example. 2008 C class came out with new generation, 2009 added driver side seat memory buttons and 'hood' over the speedo to create (I forget what you call them) the tunnels over the gauges. then 2010 rolls out with new side mirrors and LED strips instead of fogs. This was to keep up with the times. by the time 2011 rolled out, every mercedes car in the lineup had LED strips. 2011 C class rolls out with power lumbar support, 2012 was the huge mid cycle refresh with updated interior dash/screen front headlights, front and rear bumpers, front and rear lights and not to forget the new engines.

This is how you do things properly and stay with caught up with the competition. Lexus waits till the next generation or the mid cycle to add even LED strips to their cars. I mean, it would be nice if all Lexus cars had a consistent look to them.

Mercedes is doing both significant mid cycle refreshes but also make small touch outs every year. Thats just my opinion that Lexus is too slow to react. Adding a new or discontinuing a color does not count as a touch up
Old 06-02-13, 10:59 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Its not just touch ups for the sake of touch ups. its touch ups to stay with the times. Im just going to use Mercedes as an example. 2008 C class came out with new generation, 2009 added driver side seat memory buttons and 'hood' over the speedo to create (I forget what you call them) the tunnels over the gauges. then 2010 rolls out with new side mirrors and LED strips instead of fogs. This was to keep up with the times. by the time 2011 rolled out, every mercedes car in the lineup had LED strips. 2011 C class rolls out with power lumbar support, 2012 was the huge mid cycle refresh with updated interior dash/screen front headlights, front and rear bumpers, front and rear lights and not to forget the new engines.

This is how you do things properly and stay with caught up with the competition. Lexus waits till the next generation or the mid cycle to add even LED strips to their cars. I mean, it would be nice if all Lexus cars had a consistent look to them.

Mercedes is doing both significant mid cycle refreshes but also make small touch outs every year. Thats just my opinion that Lexus is too slow to react. Adding a new or discontinuing a color does not count as a touch up
Some people are never satisfied.

You definitely seem like a bigger Mercedes fan than a Lexus fan.

With luxury cars in particular, there is such a thing as updating too often.

With that said, Lexus has done a great job adding optional LED headlamps on almost every model. Lexus has also done a great job continually updating and improving the IS-F.

To "stay with the times"? That's quite arbitrary. Who decides what constitutes "the times"? It's the automakers themselves, who create those trends.

Luxury cars are supposed to have more timeless qualities and detailed features, not just the gimmick of the day.

As for the Toyota brand, as a mainstream brand things are different of course. Lexus is different from Toyota as a brand, and both have different priorities.

Lexus now has a unified front end face/styling theme, yet some hate on that. You can never please everyone.

No matter how good Lexus does, or what they do, there will always be hate.
Old 06-03-13, 12:46 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
And right on cue, the hate already appears .

This is a Corolla, one of Toyota's low end models. The fact that it's getting ANY LED headlights at all is extraordinary.

It's preposterous to expect dual LED bulbs on a Corolla at this point.
WTF do you mean by hate? I was only asking a simple technical question. It's a fact that all LEDs so far have much narrower breadth of illumination than HIDs and halogens, and that's why all LED headlights in all cars from all automakers so far have to have more than one LED bulb on each side for safety reasons. Unless there's a breakthrough in LED technologies it is more than reasonable to question how the Corolla manages to have just one LED on each side while maintaining enough breadth of illumination to be considered safe for night driving.
Old 06-03-13, 01:39 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

WTF do you mean by hate? I was only asking a simple technical question. It's a fact that all LEDs so far have much narrower breadth of illumination than HIDs and halogens, and that's why all LED headlights in all cars from all automakers so far have to have more than one LED bulb on each side for safety reasons. Unless there's a breakthrough in LED technologies it is more than reasonable to question how the Corolla manages to have just one LED on each side while maintaining enough breadth of illumination to be considered safe for night driving.
You've had a pattern of posts hating on Toyota, so one could be forgiven for assuming you were hating here too.

Good of you to clarify yourself though.

As for the technical aspects, as usual, you are jumping to conclusions without having all the facts. Maybe it's a further development of LED technology? Maybe there is something we don't know yet? Do you really think Toyota made a flawed design on purpose, and that some random poster on the internet (you) discovered Toyota's glaring mistake?

Continually making conclusions without having all relevant information is just plain silly.
Old 06-03-13, 03:28 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

it is more than reasonable to question how the Corolla manages to have just one LED on each side while maintaining enough breadth of illumination to be considered safe for night driving.
yeah, lets assume that Toyota made Corolla UNSAFE by using LED headlights

what?

lol.
Old 06-03-13, 04:00 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Also a little common sense goes a long way. Just by looking at the picture you can see a regular bulb to the left of the LED bulb assembly. So obviously the headlight overall will offer more than enough illumination.

Quick Reply: 2014 Corolla official pics!