Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First Drive: 2013 Land Rover Range Rover

Old 02-07-13, 06:06 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 464 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
quite a beauty on the exterior but they really just took the Evoque interior and stuck it in the RR. Same as what Merc did with the GL and M class
It's a night and day difference. Some design themes carry over, but the RR cabin is in a different league.

I have a 2012 RR HSE Luxury and it's been excellent. Service at the RR dealer has been better than I received from BMW, Lexus, MB and Porsche. I've been very happy with my 2012 and the new model is better still.

Last edited by swajames; 02-07-13 at 06:11 PM.
Old 02-07-13, 09:32 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
It's a night and day difference. Some design themes carry over, but the RR cabin is in a different league.

I have a 2012 RR HSE Luxury and it's been excellent. Service at the RR dealer has been better than I received from BMW, Lexus, MB and Porsche. I've been very happy with my 2012 and the new model is better still.
Some of this may be in part because RR is a lower volume automaker, they can focus more attention on the customer
Old 02-07-13, 09:53 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Anectdotal commentary goes both ways.

My business partner's RR was in the shop bi-weekly with multiple electronic issues.

That being said, we were prepared to buy a RR Sport last year....the wife was set on it....and deal with whatever reliability issues we encountered (we do own multiple BMW's...lol ) but could not get over the ridiculously bad service. The games the sales guy/finance manager tried to play were laughable at best. I sent them a pic of our 750li two days after dismissing them.
^^^Agreed

Land Rover is still considered to be the LEAST RELIABLE manufacturer in the United Kingdom.

For those who've owned LR2 and Freelander vehicles, you can't imagine what the general public says regarding how much POS those vehicles are.

And here's a quote from someone at Teamspeed.com forums:
Originally Posted by from someone at Team Speed
I cannot justify spending 100k on a car that is no more reliable than 50k Land Cruiser.
Old 02-07-13, 11:26 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Personally I like the styling of the previous Range Rover over this. It was very upright, boxy, formal, it had such a presence on the road. This new model is also beautiful, but its way too feminine for my tastes. The sloping rear roof, the way the hood is set back from the front bumper, it all reminds me too much of the very feminine Land Rover Evoque. The old model was brash, with a bit of British restraint, ie it looked very masculine without being over the top like a Hummer or a lifted pickup truck.
Old 02-08-13, 01:46 AM
NJSTSX
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drove a new 13' Range Rover yesterday and I was both impressed and let down by the new model. The look of the new design is amazing with the exception of the wheels that were on the one I drove and I though the optional painted gills on the side looked kind of cheap. The interior is very nice and minimalistic over the last generations button heavy center console. The **** shifter from Jaguar is a pretty cool touch and the wood, metal, an leather are all very nice and top quality. One thing I did notice when getting in was that the drivers seat was loud and made a lot of creaking noises. The auto open/close hatch on the demo was also broken and made mind numbing crunching noises when it was being opened. I know it was a demo car but for a nearly $100,000 brand new car I was a little concerned and the sales guy was a little embarrassed lol. The drive of the car is very solid and power is more than sufficient. Estimated mpg is also up to 16 city/20 hwy with the lighter weight and is better than the Yukon Denali we currently own. Overall i will have to say i was more impressed the first time I drove the last generation model than I am with the new 13'.
Old 02-08-13, 01:58 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Those power liftgates we have now, they just seem so silly, just like the automatic trunk closers of Lincolns and Cadillacs of old. Just something else that WILL BREAK and cost a fortune to fix. At least with those old cars you could snag a trunk latch out of a Chevy or Ford that didn't have that stupid trunk pulldown feature for cheap.
Old 02-08-13, 02:41 AM
NJSTSX
Rookie

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Those power liftgates we have now, they just seem so silly, just like the automatic trunk closers of Lincolns and Cadillacs of old. Just something else that WILL BREAK and cost a fortune to fix. At least with those old cars you could snag a trunk latch out of a Chevy or Ford that didn't have that stupid trunk pulldown feature for cheap.
The new Rover has a power bench gate on the bottom and a power lift gate on top that are supposed to close together making even more complicated.
Old 02-08-13, 07:51 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
yeah let's go back to wind up windows, manual seats and mirrors, and do away with auto headlights, dimming mirrors, bluetooth, etc. too while we're about it since they're all just "something else that will break and cost a fortune to fix."

a power lift gate is extremely useful on suvs as those doors are heavy and for (how do i say) people not as strong as some, it makes the car more practical. also, if you have stuff in your hands/arms and just want to put it in the vehicle without putting it all down first, that's another win.
Old 02-08-13, 11:19 AM
kwr
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by kwr
You're comment "every pre-Evoque LR ..." is so far off base that is laughable. I'm on my 3rd full size RR without any problems dating back to the 2005 model year. Hint all 3 vehicles are pre-Evoque!!!

There is a reason why RR has so many repeat buyers.
Anectdotal commentary goes both ways.

My business partner's RR was in the shop bi-weekly with multiple electronic issues.

That being said, we were prepared to buy a RR Sport last year....the wife was set on it....and deal with whatever reliability issues we encountered (we do own multiple BMW's...lol ) but could not get over the ridiculously bad service. The games the sales guy/finance manager tried to play were laughable at best. I sent them a pic of our 750li two days after dismissing them.
I have a cousin whose Dad's best friend's brother drives a '12 BMW 750 that has been in the shop bi-weekly for electrical issues. No wait that is my 750. My point is you have no credibility until you've ACTUALLY owned the vehicle. I have a 750 in addition to a RR (as well as a Benz). The funny thing is all 3 of my rovers have been more reliable than the Porsche 911 I traded for the 750. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Not saying some RR's don't have problems. As pointed out in this thread earlier, not every Honda is reliable and not every BMW is unreliable. Clearly if reliability was your main priority or concern, you should have bought a Lexus instead of a BMW. Now let's get back to discussing the full size RR, not the sport or BMW 750. Enjoy your 750!
Old 02-09-13, 03:23 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
yeah let's go back to wind up windows, manual seats and mirrors, and do away with auto headlights, dimming mirrors, bluetooth, etc. too while we're about it since they're all just "something else that will break and cost a fortune to fix."

a power lift gate is extremely useful on suvs as those doors are heavy and for (how do i say) people not as strong as some, it makes the car more practical. also, if you have stuff in your hands/arms and just want to put it in the vehicle without putting it all down first, that's another win.
I'm not a ludite, but the problem with those power liftgates like the Cadillacs of old, is people don't know how to use them and break them. Even if you're careful you'll eventually have that one meathead riding with you who will slam the liftgate down right in the middle of while its doing its auto-close trick and break it. In my line of work(dealer) I have seen how there's about a 50% failure rate on these things after the car gets about 4-5 years old(same thing with automatic minivan doors)
Old 02-09-13, 09:45 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kwr
I have a cousin whose Dad's best friend's brother drives a '12 BMW 750 that has been in the shop bi-weekly for electrical issues. No wait that is my 750. My point is you have no credibility until you've ACTUALLY owned the vehicle. I have a 750 in addition to a RR (as well as a Benz). The funny thing is all 3 of my rovers have been more reliable than the Porsche 911 I traded for the 750. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Not saying some RR's don't have problems. As pointed out in this thread earlier, not every Honda is reliable and not every BMW is unreliable. Clearly if reliability was your main priority or concern, you should have bought a Lexus instead of a BMW. Now let's get back to discussing the full size RR, not the sport or BMW 750. Enjoy your 750!
Wtf are you talking about???

Learn to read.

The point that your RR's have been reliable means absolutely nothing. All of the data indicates that RR have terrible reliability. Your experience is anecdotal. My info about my business partner's experience is also anecdotal. Neither negates one or the other.

I passed on the RR because of the terrible sales, not the reliability. I could not care less what you own or have owned. Big f'n deal. We just got rid of our Benz and Lexus last year.

Guess because you have more money than everybody else here, you're the only one with any credibility.

Back on topic....RR reliability sucks....RR sales and service is even worse.
Old 02-10-13, 03:52 AM
kwr
Pit Crew

Wtf are you talking about???

Learn to read.

The point that your RR's have been reliable means absolutely nothing. All of the data indicates that RR have terrible reliability. Your experience is anecdotal. My info about my business partner's experience is also anecdotal. Neither negates one or the other.

I passed on the RR because of the terrible sales, not the reliability. I could not care less what you own or have owned. Big f'n deal. We just got rid of our Benz and Lexus last year.

Guess because you have more money than everybody else here, you're the only one with any credibility.

Back on topic....RR reliability sucks....RR sales and service is even worse.
Embrace your own advice and learn to read. Better yet learn to comprehend.

You still have no credibility. Also back on topic means we discuss the redesigned RR. Hint: This thread is not about reliability, service or sales.

I'm done with this thread. Enjoy you're very special and reliable BMW 750iL.

Last edited by kwr; 02-10-13 at 04:03 AM.
Old 02-10-13, 08:04 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kwr
Embrace your own advice and learn to read. Better yet learn to comprehend.

You still have no credibility. Also back on topic means we discuss the redesigned RR. Hint: This thread is not about reliability, service or sales.

I'm done with this thread. Enjoy you're very special and reliable BMW 750iL.
Wtf do you keep bringing up my car for?

I'll wait for your 18th post that brags about your garage and disparages Lexus just like all your other post.
Attached Thumbnails First Drive: 2013 Land Rover Range Rover-ndx3ea.jpg  
Old 02-11-13, 11:52 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 160 Posts

^^^Agree 100%. You cannot take your own, or people you know, experience and come to a conclusion. You have to look at a large sample population to come up with a proper conclusion. This is why people say Land Rover's are not reliable because of issues encountered on a much larger scale. Drives me crazy when people ignore this based on their own experience. I love Range Rover's and will likely get one when we get rid of our GX but when I test drove a Sport and an LR4 recently and I asked the salesman about reliability his response was that they are getting better. At least he was honest.
Old 02-11-13, 12:19 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everyone please get back to the topic.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First Drive: 2013 Land Rover Range Rover