Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai in Shock as Toyota Camry Wins 2013 "Korea Car of the Year" Award

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-13, 08:32 AM
LexFather

Imagine if Ford or GM would have done the same thing when they don't win an award here, it would be a huge internetz and media crapstorm. Very poor taste and speaks volumes.

Congrats to the GS for winning the performance car award and kudos to the people who make these decisions for having the courage to go against the big guy on their home turf.

Old 02-01-13, 08:34 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

What's so shocking about it? Did they assume that because the test was done in Korea... a Korean car has to win it? I don't understand, someone clue me in.

The Sonata is ugly as sin and that alone would keep me from ever even wanting to test drive one.
Old 02-01-13, 08:41 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
What's so shocking about it? Did they assume that because the test was done in Korea... a Korean car has to win it? I don't understand, someone clue me in.

The Sonata is ugly as sin and that alone would keep me from ever even wanting to test drive one.
up to several years ago almost no foreign cars were sold in Korea... even now, 90% of sales are for Domestic cars.

So yes, thats why they were surprised.
Old 02-01-13, 08:41 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is indeed shocking and hilarious

For the Korean carmakers, it now means that just because they're operating in their own domestic home turf, it does not anymore mean that they are 100% immortal or invincible.

Hence, this has to serve as a challenge to Hyundai, Kia, Renault-Samsung Motors (and Ssangyong???) to step up and be more competitive. They cannot just simply rely on 'homecourt' advantage anymore......
Old 02-01-13, 10:06 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
It may have "won" but as the article noted there's little foreign competition there. Would it have still won if the new Accord and new Altima and other foreign (US & Japanese) cars were competing also?
The Altima was certainly in the competition if you had taken a look at the pics I posted. The Accord is also sold in South Korea, though I'm not sure why it didn't make it to the KCOTY's top 15 finalists. Maybe those that did were considered better?
http://www.hondakorea.co.kr/html/aut...exterior01.jsp

Last edited by ydooby; 02-01-13 at 10:10 AM.
Old 02-01-13, 10:22 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

A few decades ago, a lot of Koreans hated what the Japanese did during the likes of World War 2 as well as the Korean War. Pain, destruction and brutal killings and stuff like that.

I guess it shows that time heals wounds (at least some/most of them). Otherwise, you would still see (to this day) tons of Koreans burning Japanese cars and ruining Japanese restaurants and stuff like that.
Old 02-01-13, 10:29 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

If that's your view then you're missing out. As an enthusiast you should drive anything given the opportunity. I despise the PT Cruiser and HHR but I've driven both just to prove that they were indeed pieces
Old 02-01-13, 11:12 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
If that's your view then you're missing out. As an enthusiast you should drive anything given the opportunity. I despise the PT Cruiser and HHR but I've driven both just to prove that they were indeed pieces
back when PT Cruiser came out, i had one as 6 month rental, wasnt THAT bad at all, I liked it... of course, mags all hyped it to the heaven.
Old 02-01-13, 11:13 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
And again, you are talking about old model and relating it to new model. :-). Camry is one of the best sellers in the world, there is a reason why.
So this is the old model??

Old 02-01-13, 11:52 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
The most shocking thing about this is that the Camry is not that great a car.
As I traveled the world, what I have realized is that "Greatness" is subjective and confined to various pockets of the world. Same with food, and same with girls
Old 02-01-13, 11:58 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
enthusiast and Sonata should never be in the same sentence. Do you like to drive Ford Econo vans also for the hell of it? Not sure what you're getting at.
Old 02-01-13, 12:45 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

enthusiast and Sonata should never be in the same sentence. Do you like to drive Ford Econo vans also for the hell of it? Not sure what you're getting at.
That's racist, in an automotive sense.
Old 02-01-13, 12:50 PM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

I own a Sonata and a Genesis but think the Camry is a great car and not surprised it won...

If anything the Sonata needs a refresh which I believe is coming soon.
Old 02-01-13, 05:01 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
As I traveled the world, what I have realized is that "Greatness" is subjective and confined to various pockets of the world. Same with food, and same with girls
Here is one more example

Americans regularly fork over $5,000 to fix a crooked smile with braces. But in Japan, women are spending about $400 for just the opposite. On the other side of the planet, imperfect teeth are becoming a thing of beauty.
http://shine.yahoo.com/beauty/japane...194500258.html

Old 02-01-13, 05:11 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
So this is the old model??
i thought it was old one... that looks nice.

Quick Reply: Hyundai in Shock as Toyota Camry Wins 2013 "Korea Car of the Year" Award