Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Can this be true? Jay Leno to sell his car collection (*** NOT TRUE ***)

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-13, 07:56 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Can this be true? Jay Leno to sell his car collection (*** NOT TRUE ***)

http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2012/4/1...heikh-7708127/

Everything that has value can be bought.
In a report just coming in from a source, "The Tonight Show" host, gearhead, car collector, and all around good guy, Jay Leno is selling his massive car collection featured on "Jay Leno's Garage" to an unnamed Arab Sheikh for an undisclosed sum that's upwards of $1 billion. We knew the U.S. economy was bad, but we're hoping that didn't play any part in a decision to go through with the deal.

Last edited by My0gr81; 01-31-13 at 08:24 AM. Reason: I didn't check the date on the article. It was a link on a current story I was reading on another news site, so I assumed it to be current also.
Old 01-31-13, 08:19 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

from April 1st 2012
Old 01-31-13, 08:20 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Seeing as this article is dated from April of last year, and we have still yet to hear anything to confirm this, I would say it's false.
Old 01-31-13, 08:23 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Seeing as this article is dated from April of last year, and we have still yet to hear anything to confirm this, I would say it's false.
Hmmm! tbh, I didn't check the date on the article. It was a link on a current story I was reading on another news site, so I assumed it to be current also. I'll update the original post.
Old 01-31-13, 08:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I heard Letterman was interested in some of them.

(Just kidding)
Old 01-31-13, 09:15 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Leno never sells anything, he said it himself: "I never sell anything, that's why he got so much stuff". He lives very frugal for how much he makes.

Every car he bought was bought at the best possible deal after it is depreciated to their lowest value, he never buy the latest and greatest and all his cars are the regular version that worth much less then their respective much rarer special edition. The few recent new cars he acquired (Jaguar XJ, Mclaren 12C), I am sure the maunfacturer either gave it to him for free or at a smoking deal because he is a celebrity that helps them promote.

I predict his car collection will turn into a museum like the petersen museum after he died. No one can ever buys them.

Last edited by BNR34; 01-31-13 at 09:46 AM.
Old 01-31-13, 09:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BNR34
Leno never sells anything, he said it himself: "I never sell anything, that's why he got so much stuff". He lives very frugal for how much he makes.
True, his late-night TV show brings home the bacon, but it's got to cost a tidy sum to keep all of those cars, especially in high-tax/high-priced California. They have to be registered every year with high CA fees, gassed-up as they are driven (with expensive CA-grade fuel), all of the insurance-bills paid, property/car-taxes (if applicable) paid, servicing and repairs done as needed, periodic detailing (he probably pays to have that done), and all of the other daily auto-related expenses (tolls, inspections, etc.....) He probably spends more each year just maintaining those cars that most of us here on CAR CHAT make in total income.
Old 01-31-13, 09:58 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
True, his late-night TV show brings home the bacon, but it's got to cost a tidy sum to keep all of those cars, especially in high-tax/high-priced California. They have to be registered every year with high CA fees, gassed-up as they are driven (with expensive CA-grade fuel), all of the insurance-bills paid, property/car-taxes (if applicable) paid, servicing and repairs done as needed, periodic detailing (he probably pays to have that done), and all of the other daily auto-related expenses (tolls, inspections, etc.....) He probably spends more each year just maintaining those cars that most of us here on CAR CHAT make in total income.
All his cars are bought used, so sales taxes are very low, if anything. Registation is very low on old cars that the DMV have no clue of their value. Gas is nothing as he can only drive one at a time. Insurance is nothing as he just got an umbrella policy that covers everything he got in a secure storage location, insurance rate is based on how much he drives the cars, again he can only drive one at a time, so 100 miles per year on each car. Or he doesn't buy insurance at all, his cash can cover himself. He got a team of mechanics and helper to maintain and clean his cars, not like he get rape at the stealer. He is a very knowledgeable car guy, so he is not buying $100 a quart oil in a Bugatti's bottle, he pay $1 a quart buying the same oil in bulk from Valvoline.

His expenses are pretty low compare to his income.
Old 01-31-13, 10:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

All his cars are bought used, so sales taxes are very low, if anything. Registation is very low on old cars that the DMV have no clue of their value. Gas is nothing as he can only drive one at a time. Insurance is nothing as he just got an umbrella policy that covers everything he got in a secure storage location, insurance rate is based on how much he drives the cars, again he can only drive one at a time, so 100 miles per year on each car. Or he doesn't buy insurance at all, his cash can cover himself. He got a team of mechanics and helper to maintain and clean his cars, not like he get rape at the stealer. He is a very knowledgeable car guy, so he is not buying $100 a quart oil in a Bugatti's bottle, he pay $1 a quart buying the same oil in bulk from Valvoline.

You may (?) have a point about his income not needing insurance, but he still has to pay the people who service/maintain and detail his cars. True, gas, can only be used in one car at a time, but can't sit for too long in the tank without deteriorating. As far as putting ordinary OTC auto-parts-store oil in a Bugatti Veyron designed to go 250 MPH, that may or may not work...depending on how he drives it. That quad-turbo V16 creates enormous amounts of heat, though I doubt if he has ever personally taken it to its limits or maxed it out. TOP GEAR's Jeremy Clarkson did it once in a Veyron....but under different circumstances.
Old 01-31-13, 11:45 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You may (?) have a point about his income not needing insurance, but he still has to pay the people who service/maintain and detail his cars. True, gas, can only be used in one car at a time, but can't sit for too long in the tank without deteriorating. As far as putting ordinary OTC auto-parts-store oil in a Bugatti Veyron designed to go 250 MPH, that may or may not work...depending on how he drives it. That quad-turbo V16 creates enormous amounts of heat, though I doubt if he has ever personally taken it to its limits or maxed it out. TOP GEAR's Jeremy Clarkson did it once in a Veyron....but under different circumstances.
He employed like 5 guys at say $60k each. So $300k a year in salary, a lot of it could be tax deductible too for his show Jay Leno's garage.

Leno pulls in $20 millions a year.

If you are smart and know the necessary oil that each car required and buys it directly from the manufacturer, is way cheaper
Old 01-31-13, 07:06 PM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He also gets cars from people looking to sell their cars to him at a low price because they know he will take care of it and not look to make a quick buck with it.

He has all that Tonight Show money building interest to keep his cars maintained and looked for forever. As he has not spent any of this Tonight Show money and only spends the money he earns doing stand up.
Old 02-04-13, 01:44 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

A lot of cars he got are really cool cars that are in bad shape and he fix them up in his shop at the lowest possible cost.

Like the old red gullwing he got, it is rusted with peeling paint and either missing the engine or the engine was blown, it wasn't running. He probably pay $200k for the car, towed it back and fix it himself. Instead of buying a mint fully restored one for $750k.

That's his personality too, is like rescuing dogs from the pound instead of buying a purebred.

Last edited by BNR34; 02-04-13 at 01:48 PM.
Old 02-04-13, 01:55 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

there is no way in hell. Short and sweet !!