Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Car designs inspired by Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-13, 10:33 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
By the way, Jaguar totally copied the 2nd Generation GS when designing the S-type right down to the wheelbase and interior proportions.

Jaguar themselves admitted as much : http://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/mo...d-test-1411862

A funny thing is that the current XF is just a highly modified S-type chassis.

So when you see an XF on the road, realize that a little bit of the 2nd gen GS just passed you by.
The 2009 XF no doubt copies the 3GS, as my dad a longtime Jaguar owner and moderate collector commented on that with annoyance(Jaguar becoming nontraditional). However, I don't see how the 2GS fits in regards to the S-Type in your assessment. You are very wrong on that, as the X200 development program at Jaguar began in October 1994 and styling for the S-Type was finalized in August 1996.

There is nothing in the article that points out the S-Type in particular, but the first generation GS and Jaguar studying it. I have close connections in Birmingham/Coventry(born there as well) and first visited Browns Lane in Allesley, Coventry about a year into the S-Type's production. My father and I were shown the design sketches of the S-Type dating back to 1995-96, in addition to preliminary design work on the X350 XJ(released in 2003). Lexus froze the design of the 2GS in late 1995, but did not showcase it until January 1997 as the HPS. I don't see similarities between the 2000 Jaguar S-Type nor the 1993-1997 GS.

Last edited by Carmaker1; 01-30-13 at 10:51 PM.
Old 01-30-13, 10:35 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thread. I don't want this to end and I would love to see this posted on other particular forums. Sometimes people act as if Lexus innovates nothing just for the sake of professing their love of competing German brands. All in all every automaker contributes something to automotive design and innovation.....with the exception of the Korean makes (so far).
Old 01-31-13, 11:08 PM
trexlexus
Pole Position

Cmk1: The main reason I used model years instead of design patent times was because I lean more towards the "doing counts more than thinking" side. It is 1 thing for a company to patent something (because it might never make it to production), and it is another for a company to actually showcase a product (thereby sealing it's place as the "first" to do so). Ya, I do realize there are flaws with my line of thinking, but hey, noone is perfect

I am also not good enough of a researcher to find out the patent dates like you did. Bravo!

P.s. I also can't figure out whether you are trying to disprove my posts or add further credibility, lol.
Great thread. I don't want this to end and I would love to see this posted on other particular forums. Sometimes people act as if Lexus innovates nothing just for the sake of professing their love of competing German brands. All in all every automaker contributes something to automotive design and innovation.....with the exception of the Korean makes (so far).
I hope more people will see this too, especially some of the incorrect automobile journalists, who inherently bleed misleading information onto those who know no better.

For that reason, I put this thread in my signature. (or maybe that was to stroke my ego)
Old 01-31-13, 11:52 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

This thread is maddening. Over the course of auto history, cars have always looked alike. This would be done whether on purpose or accidentally. It will continue to happen, as one can only design so many different looks w/o a few accidentally looking similar.
Old 02-01-13, 12:57 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

1995ish Lexus L400 gauge cluster:

1998-03 Cadillac Seville gauge cluster. Very similar cluster also used in the sporty models of the 97-04 Deville

Old 02-01-13, 12:58 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
This thread is maddening. Over the course of auto history, cars have always looked alike. This would be done whether on purpose or accidentally. It will continue to happen, as one can only design so many different looks w/o a few accidentally looking similar.
It's also kind of a time period thing. Decade by decade ordeal.

Old 02-01-13, 03:28 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by trexlexus
When Lexus started out with the original LS400, it looked mildly similar to the Mercedes S class design at the time. Since then, many people have said that Lexus has done nothing but copy design language from other brands. While I do agree it is ture that Lexus has done it's share of copying (what car brand hasn't?), I disagree with those that say that Lexus ONLY copies and lacks original designing.

I made this thread to highlight car designs which seem to have been inspired by Lexus. I didn't see a thread like this when I used the "search" function, so hopefully we all can take a look at a collective thread that showcases the inspiring designs of Lexus. (And maybe set a few records straight )

1. When the second generation GS came out in 1997-2005, it had the quad headlights that took design cues from the 1995 Mercedes E class. As time went on, the 3rd GS came out in 2006. The quad headlights still remained but they were very different. The outer lights were squared off into longer rectangular shapes, the inner ones shrunk to a small size. Mercedes went through 1 more generation (2002-2008) before introducing the W212 E in 2009. The reverse happened. The 2009 Mercedes took design cues from 2006 Lexus. In 2012, the 4th GS's debut showed that the company had restyled the headlights to 1 long rectangular piece. The quad style was gone. Mercedes, in the middle of the W212 lifespan, facelifted the E to also remove the quad headlights. The headlights are now rectangular, though not very similar to the GS.

Summary: What started with Lexus watching Mercedes, ended with what can be observed as the opposite.

2. Many people often say that the 2013 LS has similar L-tube style taillamps to the BMW 7 series. However, they may not realize Lexus was the first to do the L-tube styling with the 2007-2012 LS. BMW did not have the L tubes until the debut of the 2009 7 series, which was a full 2 years after the 2007 LS.

Summary: Lexus never took any cues from BMW in the taillights. BMW took cues from Lexus in 2009.

3. Audi is often credited with the LED headlights that populate many luxury cars in recent times. Although the R8 was one of the first autos to use an all LED headlight display. Cadillac's Escalade beat them to it. Beating both of those, Lexus's LS600hL introduced in 2007, for the '08 model year, was the first production car to use LED in the headlights.

Summary: Lexus was the first to use LED headlights, not Audi.

4. This last one is a bit of a family squabble. I see a lot of people talking about the 4th GS being the changing factor for Lexus (spindle grill). Many cite it as the first of the Lexus family to to radically shake up design within the brand. Unfortunately, I don't think that is the case. I believe that the CT was the first from Lexus to showcase the spindle grill. Although, it is definately not as important a car as the GS, I do believe credit should be given to the baby in the family . In addition, because the CT is a less important car, I think the reasoning for the debut of the spindle grill design is apparent: Showing a radical design on a newer, lesser car will be a way for the company to "test the waters" to see if their design will be a welcome addition to prelude to the bigger players in the family. The CT was introduced in 2010, the GS in 2012.

Summary: The CT deserves the name "The New Face of Lexus", not the GS.

Can you guys think of anymore?

Those are all of the things I can think of for now. I am not a blind Lexus fanboy, as I do appreciate the designs of many brands. I also do realize that Lexus did copying as well, as stated earlier. I am just trying to hopefully open the eyes of whoever comes across this post, whether on the internet, or within our own CL community.

Hope you guys had as much fun reading, as I did thinking/posting.

Nice comparison. It's true, Lexus is a trendsetter for all makes and models. The Europeans will never admit it. Gen 4 LS started the rear bumper exhaust bezel (non connected tips) in its class and was ridiculed for it. Now that the Europeans are doing it, it's perfectly acceptable.
Old 02-01-13, 05:18 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
By the way, Jaguar totally copied the 2nd Generation GS when designing the S-type right down to the wheelbase and interior proportions.

Jaguar themselves admitted as much : http://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/mo...d-test-1411862

A funny thing is that the current XF is just a highly modified S-type chassis.

So when you see an XF on the road, realize that a little bit of the 2nd gen GS just passed you by.
That is in no way an admittance that Jaguar copied the GS for the S-type. Automakers tear down competitors' cars on a regular basis.

Originally Posted by cmk1
However, I don't see how the 2GS fits in regards to the S-Type in your assessment. You are very wrong on that, as the X200 development program at Jaguar began in October 1994 and styling for the S-Type was finalized in August 1996.

There is nothing in the article that points out the S-Type in particular, but the first generation GS and Jaguar studying it. I have close connections in Birmingham/Coventry(born there as well) and first visited Browns Lane in Allesley, Coventry about a year into the S-Type's production. My father and I were shown the design sketches of the S-Type dating back to 1995-96, in addition to preliminary design work on the X350 XJ(released in 2003). Lexus froze the design of the 2GS in late 1995, but did not showcase it until January 1997 as the HPS. I don't see similarities between the 2000 Jaguar S-Type nor the 1993-1997 GS.
Exactly.

Hmm i completely forgot about the SC and it's quad headlight setup.

If that is the case, number 1 on my original post would be nullified. As it turns out, the E class would have taken a design cue from Lexus very early on.
Doubt it. The CLK coupe concept was presented in 1993 at Geneva. I would bet the design was in the pipeline before the SC debuted. Not everything has to be a "taken design cue" from someone else.

Last edited by TangoRed; 02-01-13 at 05:21 AM.
Old 02-01-13, 07:47 AM
LexFather

While I agree the S-type and ClK are a stretch let's focus on car designs inspired by Lexus and not trying to prove otherwise. The internetz is filled with that already.

For example the XF was clearly inspired by the GS and this has been documented in various interviews in magazines. Of course the internetz is mum and hush about that.

Old 02-01-13, 09:30 AM
@lpher
Lead Lap

Noone has mention BMW borrowing the 1IS rear lighs for the E46 compact...
Old 02-01-13, 06:38 PM
trexlexus
Pole Position

Nice comparison. It's true, Lexus is a trendsetter for all makes and models. The Europeans will never admit it. Gen 4 LS started the rear bumper exhaust bezel (non connected tips) in its class and was ridiculed for it. Now that the Europeans are doing it, it's perfectly acceptable.
I dont know what you mean by exhaust bezels. Are you talking about the chrome trim around the integrated exhaust openings in the 4th gen. LS?
Old 02-01-13, 10:08 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Originally Posted by TangoRed
That is in no way an admittance that Jaguar copied the GS for the S-type. Automakers tear down competitors' cars on a regular basis.

Exactly.

Doubt it. The CLK coupe concept was presented in 1993 at Geneva. I would bet the design was in the pipeline before the SC debuted. Not everything has to be a "taken design cue" from someone else.
Yep, like the LF-CC to the 3IS, this was meant to be a preview of the W210 E-Class due in 1995. Here is a 1991-1992 photo of the W210 E-Class design team with a clay model and early 1993 patent images of both the E-Class and the 1993 Coupe Concept(designed in 1992). The 4-headlight theme was actually decided on in 1991, when the E-Class design was approved and Toyota/Lexus introduced the Soarer in early 1991. Even though it may not be true, it's possible that Mercedes-Benz did take inspiration from the Soarer/Lexus SC during that year. By 1992 most of the new Mercedes design developments started to incorporate 4 headlights. Several design proposals in 1992-1994 for the previous generation S-Class(W220) had 4 headlamps.
Attached Thumbnails Car designs inspired by Lexus-w210_design_mannschaft_1992.jpg   Car designs inspired by Lexus-february-25-1993-mercedes-benz-coupe-concept-clk-patent-930149200101.jpg   Car designs inspired by Lexus-1996-mercedes-benz-e-class-february-25-1993-patent-headlamp-930149300101.jpg   Car designs inspired by Lexus-1996-e-class-w210-taillamp-february-25-1993-patent-930149500101.jpg  
Old 02-01-13, 10:21 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Cmk1: The main reason I used model years instead of design patent times was because I lean more towards the "doing counts more than thinking" side. It is 1 thing for a company to patent something (because it might never make it to production), and it is another for a company to actually showcase a product (thereby sealing it's place as the "first" to do so). Ya, I do realize there are flaws with my line of thinking, but hey, noone is perfect

I am also not good enough of a researcher to find out the patent dates like you did. Bravo!

P.s. I also can't figure out whether you are trying to disprove my posts or add further credibility, lol.

I hope more people will see this too, especially some of the incorrect automobile journalists, who inherently bleed misleading information onto those who know no better.

For that reason, I put this thread in my signature. (or maybe that was to stroke my ego)
Oh no, I actually support this thread and your point of view. I am trying to provide concrete evidence of your statements to solidify them. I've tried to study my mother's F02 7er against an auntie's LS600hL and the similarities are striking. I do know that the final F01/F02 design was on paper in 2005, but it's final engineered design proportions weren't set until early 2006. BMW had enough time to see the LS460 design, so it's a mystery what happened there.

Originally Posted by @lpher
That's impossible as BMW designed all of the 3-Series range prior to 1998. Chris Bangle ordered a design meeting in January 1998, which included every single iteration of the E46 released into 2000 in either prototype or clay model form. Only the M3 convertible wouldn't have been present, as that wasn't released until 2001. The Altezza wasn't even seen until the second half of 1998.(WRONG, my statement isn't correct as the E46 Compact wouldn't have been finished by then like I thought. The E46 Compact copied the Toyota Altezza design showcased in October 1998.)

Last edited by Carmaker1; 02-03-13 at 02:29 AM.
Old 02-01-13, 10:57 PM
trexlexus
Pole Position

Oh ok, that's what you meant.

Now does anyone know what tangored was talking about when he said exhaust bezels?

And i still am not able to have a signautre
Old 02-02-13, 12:17 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by @lpher
The 1IS tails were copied across the board, up to the last gen Ford Fusion (pre-refresh).

Quick Reply: Car designs inspired by Lexus