Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Quick Spin: 2013 Ford F-150 Limited

Old 01-28-13, 05:31 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Quick Spin: 2013 Ford F-150 Limited

2013 Ford F-150 Limited

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2013-...photo-5598837/

Engine: Twin-Turbo 3.5L V6
Power: 365 HP / 420 LB-FT
Transmission: 6-Speed Auto
Drivetrain: Four-Wheel Drive
Curb Weight: 5,687 LBS
Towing: 11,000 LBS (est.)
Seating: 2+3
Cargo: 5.5-FT bed
MPG: 17 City / 21 HWY
MSRP: $55,045 (as tested)

The Ford F-150 received yet another new model for the 2013 model year, the Limited trim, bringing the ways you can order this country's most popular vehicle to a grand total of 10. There really is an F-150 to suit any need now, and the Limited variant slots in at the very top of the range, above the already pampering Platinum model.

While normally I would admit that I'm the least-appropriate person to test a pickup, the fact that this particular trim places a much higher premium on luxury than anything with a bed and Blue Oval badge before it means that I don't need the workman chops of a skilled tradesman to judge how well this truck meets its true aim.

Driving Notes
  • With a base price of $52,895, the F-150 Limited is the most expensive half-ton Ford truck you can buy. Our tester came with the few options that don't come standard, including White Platinum Metallic Tri-Coat paint ($495), a pickup bed extender ($250), tailgate step ($375) and spray-in bed liner ($475), bringing the final tally with a $995 delivery charge to $55,045.
  • The polished aluminum wheels on the Limited model are 22 inches in diameter, a full two inches larger than what's fitted to the Platinum model. They sure are pretty, though appear appropriate for on-road use only, lest you want to scratch and nick their polished finish. Other filigree on the truck includes the single-tip chrome exhaust, 'LIMITED' lettering along the box sides, the bold three-bar grille and body-colored everything.
  • Curiously, while you can have the less expensive Platinum model with your choice of three engines and two bed lengths, the Limited is only available with the twin-turbocharged EcoBoost 3.5-liter V6 engine and 5.5-foot box. Both trims, however, are limited to the four-door SuperCrew cab style only. It's not clear why Ford went with the EcoBoost engine only in the Limited, but with 365 horsepower and 420 pound-feet of torque, the engine is up to the task and relatively efficient.
  • Speaking of which, remember a few years ago when the F-150 required a special SFE model to reach 21 miles per gallon on the highway? The F-150 Limited can technically achieve the same feat, despite all of its luxury trappings and lack of aero aids. The EPA estimates 17 mpg city and 21 mpg highway, and I managed to reach and sustain that number, though not on the highway. It was on a long stretch of 35-mph road with few lights and stop signs. On the highway traveling between 60-70 mph, the F-150 and its EcoBoost V6 still returned a respectable 16-17 mpg.
  • The headlights on the Limited model are segment-first HID lamps. They are incredibly powerful and cut a very wide swatch with sharply delineated edges. From the driver's seat, it's as if the truck has two poles sticking out either side of the front end with a bunch of lights hanging from them pointing forward. That said, the F-150 Limited rides high and I know those powerful low beams were at times bouncing off the rear and sideview mirrors of the cars I was following.
  • This truck is surprisingly easy to drive. Even though I feel it would be silly for someone like me, who only has the occasional need for a truck, to buy and use an F-150 Limited as a daily driver, I easily could. It's like a truck, a minivan and a luxury sedan rolled into one – eminently capable, comfortable and cool.
  • Its ride is composed and relatively smooth, though can be skittish over rough pavement. That said, this truck emits nary a squeak, noise or rattle no matter how hard the suspension and frame are being hit.
  • The level of luxury here is very high, with running boards that automatically deploy when the doors open, a red and black leather interior that both looks and feels rich, aluminum trim, ambient lighting and the very full suite of Ford infotainment electronics that includes Sync, MyFord Touch, an eight-inch main screen and 4.2-inch info screen between the gauges.
  • At the end of my week with the pickup, I came around to the conclusion that buying an F-150 Limited makes as much sense as luxury car or sports car. All three appeal to what one wants more than what one needs. Do I need a $55k luxury pickup? No. But now I want one.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/01/28/2...ed-quick-spin/
Old 01-28-13, 08:21 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

~5700lbs? lol
Old 01-28-13, 08:47 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
2013 Ford F-150 Limited

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2013-...photo-5598837/

[*]Speaking of which, remember a few years ago when the F-150 required a special SFE model to reach 21 miles per gallon on the highway? The F-150 Limited can technically achieve the same feat, despite all of its luxury trappings and lack of aero aids. The EPA estimates 17 mpg city and 21 mpg highway, and I managed to reach and sustain that number, though not on the highway. It was on a long stretch of 35-mph road with few lights and stop signs. On the highway traveling between 60-70 mph, the F-150 and its EcoBoost V6 still returned a respectable 16-17 mpg.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/01/28/2...ed-quick-spin/
16-17 mpg real world highway fuel economy?? That's pretty crappy IMO for some that is supposed to be "fuel efficient". I'd rather have the 5.0 v8 or 6.2 v8 in that truck if that's all the better the six cylinder is getting. Less crap to go wrong, much better sound, especially since I would be that redneck who would cut the mufflers off his truck.
Old 01-28-13, 09:31 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
~5700lbs? lol
And rumormill is that the next gen will shed 700lbs
Old 01-29-13, 06:23 AM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
And rumormill is that the next gen will shed 700lbs
Putting it back inline with what my 2003 supercrew weighs, not impressed. The issue is the size, I am a Ford diehard fan but if I wanted a Superduty I would buy a Superduty. Although it will never happen, as these trucks are bought to compensate for manhood issues, the 1/2 ton needs to go back to being a half ton and not a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. Ford can keep the bold styling but bring it back down to pre 2004 size and with the new materials I bet they could easily hit 4700lbs or less for a supercrew and 25+ real world mpg.
Old 01-29-13, 06:46 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

$55K for a F-150 P/U.
Old 01-29-13, 07:20 AM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Originally Posted by Joeb427
$55K for a F-150 P/U.
Yep, but in all fairness they are as nice inside as most luxury SUV's that cost the same or more (plus only an idiot pays sticker on a fullsize truck.) Funny, I was considering a Touareg TDI to replace my truck, but the truth is that a supercrew F150 with the upper level packages is cheaper out the door and has more utility than the VW, and is more likely much more reliable while still being a very nice place to ride.
Old 01-29-13, 09:37 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
$55K for a F-150 P/U.
crazy....even if you get $10K off its still $45K for a F150

and 22 inch wheels with 4WD? why??
Old 01-29-13, 09:43 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

I've never seen any use for a half-ton pickup. If you need a truck, you'll buy a damn truck. Half-tons serve the purpose of being able to show off to your fellow pavement cowboys that you own a truck, without having to actually do the work of a truck.
Old 01-29-13, 10:41 AM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
I've never seen any use for a half-ton pickup. If you need a truck, you'll buy a damn truck. Half-tons serve the purpose of being able to show off to your fellow pavement cowboys that you own a truck, without having to actually do the work of a truck.
I keep a half ton truck around just for towing and taking care of the home \ land.

I cannot image owning a home \ land \ toys without a pickup truck.........
Old 01-29-13, 10:44 AM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the topic of a 50k truck…….. much like I said in the A5 thread, 50k isn’t jack **** anymore, it simply doesn’t buy you much in 2013……..
Old 01-29-13, 11:04 AM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
My half ton has served me perfectly, hauls engine blocks, engines, transmissions, sheet steel, dirt, gravel, plywood, TV's, Couches, etc. I think you have it backwards. For those who need a light duty truck to actually haul you get a half ton. For those who truly need to tow for work or haul big loads you get a one ton. For those who want to be urban cowboy posers you roll in a 3/4 ton on 37's that never gets a scratch in the bed, the paint, and never hauls any more than your 5'8" 200lbs fat tire wearing blob of a self.
Old 01-29-13, 11:06 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by LOWFAST
Putting it back inline with what my 2003 supercrew weighs, not impressed. The issue is the size, I am a Ford diehard fan but if I wanted a Superduty I would buy a Superduty. Although it will never happen, as these trucks are bought to compensate for manhood issues, the 1/2 ton needs to go back to being a half ton and not a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. Ford can keep the bold styling but bring it back down to pre 2004 size and with the new materials I bet they could easily hit 4700lbs or less for a supercrew and 25+ real world mpg.
With every model year new tech and safety adds weight. It's only reasonable for the truck to weigh like your 10 year old model. And it will certainly get better MPG than your 03 or the 13.

And I don't believe that manhood crap for a second. Trucks are fun and useful
Old 01-29-13, 12:33 PM
LOWFAST
Advanced

I while I agree on the added weight from tech and safety there should also be weight reduction based on new structural technology/materials. My point is that if they can get the 2015 supercrew back down to the 5000lb range of the 2003 and yet it is still 15% larger than the older models why not cut the size a bit and get it back to what an old 1/2 ton used to be. Right now the payload capacity on a "1/2" ton truck is over 1500 lbs, in some configurations it is 2000lbs! Leave the big towing and payload to the "real" 3/4-1 ton trucks and give me a half ton that works for the common person and gets the added benefit of great mpg.
Old 01-29-13, 01:27 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by LOWFAST
I while I agree on the added weight from tech and safety there should also be weight reduction based on new structural technology/materials. My point is that if they can get the 2015 supercrew back down to the 5000lb range of the 2003 and yet it is still 15% larger than the older models why not cut the size a bit and get it back to what an old 1/2 ton used to be. Right now the payload capacity on a "1/2" ton truck is over 1500 lbs, in some configurations it is 2000lbs! Leave the big towing and payload to the "real" 3/4-1 ton trucks and give me a half ton that works for the common person and gets the added benefit of great mpg.
Because there is no Ranger, I'll agree with that statement

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Quick Spin: 2013 Ford F-150 Limited