Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Best overall Lexus model series?
CT
1.30%
ES
3.90%
GS
10.39%
GX
0%
HS
1.30%
IS
11.69%
LFA
9.09%
LS
40.26%
LX
5.19%
RX
7.79%
SC
9.09%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Best overall Lexus model series?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-13, 08:14 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I don't like the way this poll is set up. Are we talking current models, all past models, certain generations?

I would have voted SC if we were talking about the 1st generation car. But I HATE the 2nd gen Medusa of a car with so much passion I couldn't pick that option.

I voted LS since it is the flagship and I do love my big, comfy 4 door saloon cars. The 90's models were such game changers in terms of value, quality, features, fit/finish, and reliability. I think the 02-06 cars are UGLY, but they fixed that with the 07-12 cars and the new 2013 cars are pretty nice.

Although I will say the RX is probably the model most people think of when they think Lexus. I personally don't like crossovers, as it looks like something my mother would drive. I'd much rather have a big LX, but once again I didn't vote on that because its a guissed up Land Cruiser, a car you can buy in the Middle east for middle class $$$ without all the leather, wood, backup cameras, and other bs.
Old 01-28-13, 11:45 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

LS...but I'm biased.

The LFA ranks as the best sounding and most exciting Lexus ever made, one of my all time fav engine sounds in fact.
Old 01-29-13, 12:04 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,703 Likes on 2,288 Posts

The LFA is unquestionably the best car Lexus has ever built. But you can't compare it to a "real" production Lexus, the LFA is a cost no object ***** to the wall best don't care what it takes to build it kind of car. So I voted LS, it started it all and changed everything not only for Toyota, but forced all the other luxury makes out of their stupor.

IMO Lexus is the only one that managed to combine the best engineering, technology, power/ performance, refinement, luxury, and reliability all in one package. Others excel at some, but never able to bring it all together at once. Lexus did it right out of the gate with the LS and has done it ever since.
Old 01-29-13, 03:13 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard
Thanks. I am willing to bet nobody ever had a dialog like this about an LS.
You'd lose that bet, badly. Happens to me pretty regularly even with an 8 year old LS both from random people and people riding in the car (especially people in the back seat with the seats reclined and the massagers going... bet that doesn't happen often in your SC )
Old 01-29-13, 04:42 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

It's interesting how many posters care about Toyota, the car industry and general welfare.

I do confess that the only thing that matters is me is me. If, for example, a car is bad for me but great for the company that made it, why would I vote for that car? Of course I would not because, as I just said, I come first in the hierarchy of things.

Cars like ES are a dime a dozen, as they say. The RX is just a an SUV with a pretty poor reliability record because it is not made in Japan. The LS, especially the 430 series, never won any awards for good looks with those goofy 16-inch rims.

I have owned an ES for 4 years and nobody ever said "wow" to me or even gave a second look. It's just a better looking Camry.

The SC430 is different. Just today, while I am having my teeth drilled, a receptionist walks in and asks if that Lexus is mine, Aha, Gosh is this car nice, Thanks. I am willing to bet nobody ever had a dialog like this about an LS.

Regardless how the voting goes, one thing is for sure: Lexus knows how to make car seats. Especially for the LS where you can extend the part you sit on to make it longer. This idea came from a seat genius. On the other hand, the morons who designed some of the European car seats should be forced to spend 24 hours just sitting on their creations before being released to production. The best example of this is the 2005 Jaguar XJR - a great car, looks and specs, until you sit down only to feel your rear end as if in a vice they call bolsters. Those, allegedly, are steep, tight and narrow so you won't slide when turning in NY or Chicago at 70mph. This is is why I didn't buy one.
That's not even remotely true.
Old 01-29-13, 05:12 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
You'd lose that bet, badly. Happens to me pretty regularly even with an 8 year old LS both from random people and people riding in the car (especially people in the back seat with the seats reclined and the massagers going... bet that doesn't happen often in your SC )
I'd would have to second that! I still get mad complements on my 8year old LS as well. People still ask if it's an 08 or newer. Nope! Its an 05 430 thats super clean and extraordinarly handsome. ES/RX is the blood, SC is the passion, LFA is the adreneline, LX/GX are the muscles, GS/IS are the weapons and the CT is the brains but the LS is the heart of LEXUS.
Old 01-29-13, 10:20 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am happy about the compliments you got from your friends. I would suggest, however, that a compliment from a friend is like going to a prom with your sister.

The compliments that count are from perfect strangers watching you drive by and give you thumbs up. That is a compliment worth remembering.

Except for the LFA, which many drool about and nobody owns, only the SCs are in that category. Not the LS.
Lol...so clueless.
Attached Thumbnails Best overall Lexus model series?-caution-trolling-in-progress.png  
Old 01-29-13, 11:33 PM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
I'd would have to second that! I still get mad complements on my 8year old LS as well. People still ask if it's an 08 or newer. Nope! Its an 05 430 thats super clean and extraordinarly handsome. ES/RX is the blood, SC is the passion, LFA is the adreneline, LX/GX are the muscles, GS/IS are the weapons and the CT is the brains but the LS is the heart of LEXUS.
Well said!
Old 01-29-13, 11:49 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002GGPIS3
No doubt the LS was the game changer.. but I voted the IS, because in time, it will be the car that will beat BMW and make Lexus the cool brand.
I agree with this. The IS is what is going to get younger people into the brand, it's up to the rest of the lineup to keep them there.
Old 01-30-13, 04:47 AM
lexuspcl88
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down GS and gas consumption I

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
this is sure a biased thread.

LS is the flagship of Lexus, thats a big factor / statement. However, I, owning a GS will always be biased to GS
GS is sure nice. I own a GS 300
But I read recently that it is the heaviest, worst o. Gas.
The Is is best on Gas, I am gas conscious ,
So should I go to the Es on my net car Lexus off course.
Lexuspcl88
Old 01-30-13, 04:58 AM
lexuspcl88
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When one is asked for the bast lexus overall. It means the best overall,
All things. Considered. Paris pasu.
For the average man, which is the. Buy ?
Consider gas, first cost, beauty, and drive comfort,
For the average, reasonable man,
You can always make your personal choice based on your age , and likes,
Lecudpcl88
Old 01-30-13, 06:04 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I hate to be so biased.
Old 01-30-13, 06:33 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Many different responses on this poll. I wonder if that is why Lexus makes more than one model.
Old 01-30-13, 07:53 AM
TriniGS
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Seems the LS is winning in the polls, makes sense because its the flagship car but to be honest, at that price point, I'll easily go with a competitor. Now the best overall Lexus based on affordability, luxury, reliability, sales and appeal is the ES. MOST ES owners probably not on CL so the polling might be skewed LOL.

Can Lexus do without the LS model and still survive, I think so. Can they say the same about the ES, probably NOT.

NO I do not drive an ES. Just saying.