Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

TMC Trademarks Lexus "RC F"

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-13, 05:07 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Originally Posted by Bean
LOL. Good one.
Bean, don't troll please. If you're going to pop in mainly to post this sort of stuff (trend noted) its time for you to leave CL.

Absolutely fine to disagree with people, but support your comments politely and maturely. If you want to drop in to mainly make snarky comments, bash Lexus' efforts, complain about no turbo and applaud BMW cars a BMW forum is probably a more appropriate outlet.

PM me if you want to discuss examples.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 01-29-13 at 05:18 AM.
Old 01-29-13, 08:47 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

m3 is around 3500lb? that's a first. i guess even bmw is too humble to add another 200lb?

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...fications.aspx

i suppose cars like c63 are complete waste too. as much as i love my m3, i look at cars equally
Old 01-29-13, 09:47 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
m3 is around 3500lb? that's a first. i guess even bmw is too humble to add another 200lb?

i suppose cars like c63 are complete waste too. as much as i love my m3, i look at cars equally
These M3s are both under 3500 lbs bone stock! (GTS and CRT)

(Sarcasm for the sake of stupid car forum's argument )

Attached Thumbnails TMC Trademarks Lexus "RC F"-img00001-20120314-1200.jpg  

Last edited by BNR34; 01-29-13 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-29-13, 09:53 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by TF109B
That's baloney. They're only sharing certain technology for fuel cells and a possible joint venture on a sports car. The M4 isn't a sports car, neither is the IS-F.
M4 and IS-F aren't sports car? Wow your standard is certainly very high, I guess it is only a sports car to you if it is a GT3 RS or Viper ACR? Or does it have to be a GT3 Cup or 458 GT3?
Old 01-29-13, 10:03 AM
LexFather

I hate the term "This car killer". Nothing ever gets killed. It might lose a comparison but it still sells. The IS F beat the M3 in a Top Gear mag comparo and it didn't kill anything. The RS4 beat the M3 in a comparo or two and it didn't kill the M3.

They all drive so damn similar that its the other things that seem to matter. They are all so good, there is not a bad entry.

Looking at how the new Lexus, Toyota sports offerings have been driving and reviewed, I have no doubt this will be an incredible driving car.

Old 01-29-13, 10:39 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FYI: unladen weight != curb weight

WARNING: some sigs or avatars may be mildly NSFW. If you don't want to link and want to know, it's a bone stock M3 DCT weighing 3549lbs. Unladen weight counts an assumed 75kg driver whereas curb weight does not
http://bimmerboost.com/showthread.ph...weight-is-35XX

Last edited by Bean; 01-29-13 at 10:54 AM.
Old 01-29-13, 11:55 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

that is interesting, never paid attention on that before

so that means when looking at curb weight
m3 = 35xx
isf = 3780
c63 = 3650

for sure the first time i learn about that.

still i can't see how cars like isf and c63 are waste and not together with m3. granted, i chose the m3 since it's a better car to me, but i wouldn't downplay the others like they are worthless
Old 01-29-13, 12:00 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

that is interesting, never paid attention on that before

so that means when looking at curb weight
m3 = 35xx
isf = 3780
c63 = 3650

for sure the first time i learn about that.

still i can't see how cars like isf and c63 are waste and not together with m3. granted, i chose the m3 since it's a better car to me, but i wouldn't downplay the others like they are worthless
I wouldn't say its a waste, but I think it's not quite there yet. And it hasn't changed since it's inception. It SHOULD be making more power by now with a mid-model refresh and they need to tweak the steering a bit, and it needs a manual transmission option. But I think those ideas are currently being argued at Lexus. If I remember reading it correctly that there were several factions within the company regarding that car. That being said, I still like it as a performance car better than the C63 and the RS5.
Old 01-29-13, 12:35 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BNR34
M4 and IS-F aren't sports car? Wow your standard is certainly very high, I guess it is only a sports car to you if it is a GT3 RS or Viper ACR? Or does it have to be a GT3 Cup or 458 GT3?
Don't put words in people's mouths. It's not polite. The IS-F is a 4 door super saloon (sedan). The M4 is a sports coupe based off a sedan. Those aren't "brand new sports cars" like the article says they'll collaborate on.

And your related comment in the other thread here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/7731516-post18.html is off base. Toyota don't need BMW to build a sports car. They've done it before, are doing it now and will continue to. On top of it there isn't one indication the IS-F and M3/4 will be the same car. Like I said those aren't the sports car they'll co-develop.

Last edited by TF109B; 01-29-13 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-29-13, 12:43 PM
LexFather

I wouldn't say its a waste, but I think it's not quite there yet. And it hasn't changed since it's inception. It SHOULD be making more power by now with a mid-model refresh and they need to tweak the steering a bit, and it needs a manual transmission option. But I think those ideas are currently being argued at Lexus. If I remember reading it correctly that there were several factions within the company regarding that car. That being said, I still like it as a performance car better than the C63 and the RS5.
It is one source but the M3 and IS F with its revised suspension posted identical track times in C&D's lightning lap. Everyone is moving away from manuals and I sure don't expect Lexus to have one.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...p_2011-feature

Quite frankly I don't think people know how good the revised IS F is. I drove it and it drives far better than the earlier models.

Old 01-29-13, 01:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

actually i think isf has had more performance upgrades (suspensions, lsd, etc...) than m3? i don't think the e9x had any engine upgrades throughout the years. can't say for sure about suspensions but don't recall anything from 08 to 10. the performance and lap times on the isf has increased quite a bit from 08 to 12 because of the changes.
Old 01-29-13, 01:17 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

actually i think isf has had more performance upgrades (suspensions, lsd, etc...) than m3? i don't think the e9x had any engine upgrades throughout the years. can't say for sure about suspensions but don't recall anything from 08 to 10. the performance and lap times on the isf has increased quite a bit from 08 to 12 because of the changes.
Oh yeah? I wasn't aware. And yeah, no M3 upgrades really as it already made more power than claimed and I'm not sure if the handling could have been improved much without sacrificing ride. Though there are a ton of special overpriced editions. It IS getting long in the tooth, but luckily the new version is coming soon. With the forced induction engine, there will probably be all sorts of special editions and a performance bump in the LCI edition.
Old 01-30-13, 05:27 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
It is one source but the M3 and IS F with its revised suspension posted identical track times in C&D's lightning lap. Everyone is moving away from manuals and I sure don't expect Lexus to have one.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...p_2011-feature

Quite frankly I don't think people know how good the revised IS F is. I drove it and it drives far better than the earlier models.
Yeah, Yaguchi-san made some considerable changes to suspension for 2011 and especially 2012. I wish he listened the first time when people complained about the harsh rebound in the Tokico shocks back in 07 before IS F ever came out. Sadly we got stuck with that setup for 3 years. The new Sachs dampers are a world of difference for 2012, even more so than the Tokicos they replaced in 2011. I'm confident that Lexus will make the next IS F or possible RC F a winner in handling as Toyota has a long history of building great, fun-to-drive sports cars.
Old 01-31-13, 06:18 AM
grabber2
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

RC = Racing Coupe? Don't think it will be a M3/S5/C63 killer, but should be a good competitor.

Infiniti G coupe need to beware as well since its the only japanese upscale coupe that sell.....

Don't think it will price as high as the SC430 at 65K
Old 01-31-13, 09:49 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Personally I hope RC doesn't stand for Racing Coupe. Given the naming of the Lexus models (IS - Intelligent Sport, ES - Executive Sedan, GS - Grand Sport/Sedan, and LS - Luxury Sport/Sedan), the "R" should have a significant meaning. Racing Coupe, to me, doesn't have that same Lexus-like naming.

Given that, if produced, the RC F will be the first true coupe model since the SC, I would suggest Renaissance Coupe F. Typical "R" monikers have stood for mainly race or racing; i.e. Type-R, R-spec. I'd love for Lexus to give this "R" an higher perceived name meaning that correlates to the brand itself.

Renaissance a. A revival of intellectual or artistic achievement and vigor

Just my take.

Quick Reply: TMC Trademarks Lexus "RC F"