Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Used Car Suggestion

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-13, 08:36 AM
jmooney511
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used Car Suggestion

Hi. I'm looking to be in the market for a used car. I have a 1990 Nissan 300ZX NA and a 2002 IS300 turbo. Both of these I am going to sell. My plan is to buy a mid 90's Nissan truck which will come in handy with my upcoming house purchase to replace the 300ZX. The IS runs great, drives comfortable, and is problem less. The reason for selling my IS is that I am ready for something else. I've driven a clean car since I was 16 (96 Nissan Maxima) and I feel it's time for a change. My criteria is good gas mileage and reliability. What has crossed my mind to replace the IS is:
  • early 2000's Honda Accord
  • early 2000's Jetta TDI (high MPG, questionable reliability)
  • Some type of crossover

Are there any other options I am missing here or suggestions are very welcome.
Old 01-28-13, 09:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by jmooney511

early 2000's Honda Accord

early 2000's Jetta TDI (high MPG, questionable reliability)

Some type of crossover

Are there any other options I am missing here or suggestions are very welcome.
Avoid the 1999-2003 automatic-transmission Accords. They had transmission issues. But, otherwise, Accords, in general, would be a fine choice.

As far as crossovers go, the Toyota RAV-4/Highlander, Honda CR-V/Pilot, Subaru Forester/Outback, Mitsubishi Outlander, and Nissan Rogue/Murano have all been generally reliable...but, again, avoid 1999-2002 Subarus with the non-turbo 2.5L. They had head-gasket issues. Otherwise they, too, are generally reliable. Subaru also has what are arguably the best low-cost AWD systems in the buisness. Early 2000s Nissans, back when they had the financial crisis and implemented strict cost-control measures, were fairly reliable but had poor fit/finish and very cheap interiors.

I see you are a new poster. Welcome to CL.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-28-13 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-28-13, 09:39 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

What about a 2nd Gen Prius? Toyotas a reliable and the battery should still be covered under warranty.
Old 01-28-13, 12:47 PM
jmooney511
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Avoid the 1999-2003 automatic-transmission Accords. They had transmission issues. But, otherwise, Accords, in general, would be a fine choice.

Subaru Forester/Outback, Mitsubishi Outlander, and Nissan Rogue/Murano have all been generally reliable...but, again, avoid 1999-2002 Subarus with the non-turbo 2.5L. They had head-gasket issues. Otherwise they, too, are generally reliable. Subaru also has what are arguably the best low-cost AWD systems in the buisness.

I see you are a new poster. Welcome to CL.
Thanks for the info on the Accords. Subaru makes fine automobiles, I'll have to take a look.

I'm a big lurker here. You probably won't see another post except a for sale thread for my IS. That is, if I can get a reputable member to vouch for me .

Originally Posted by jwong77
What about a 2nd Gen Prius? Toyotas a reliable and the battery should still be covered under warranty.
Good suggestion, gas mileage and reliability definatley line up to what I'm looking for according to Edmunds.

-Mooney
Old 01-28-13, 06:10 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

Wow you are getting rid of two cars I would love to have ! I feel you will miss a sporty ride and you will have a truck, so I would suggest a Subaru WRX, Mazda3, or Mazdaspeed 3 if you need the turbo, Nissan Maxima, Acura TSX, Acura TL, Infiniti G35, Lexus IS300( stock one), Lexus GS300, and Lexus ES300..

That said I would keep either the 300zx or IS300 turbo, life is to short to not enjoy such fun cars !
Old 01-28-13, 06:16 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

had a honda accord 2002 auto v6, bought brand new and has 380k miles when traded. no problems with engine or tranny. only usual maintenance like spark plugs, cv axles, alternator, battery. very good car .
Old 01-28-13, 08:31 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Why are you getting rid of that turbo IS300 if its reliable???? Most of the time when you do a turbo conversion on a non-turbo car its problem after problem after problem. I'd shoot myself if I were lame enough to trade a reliable turbo 2JZ car for a stock Accord or Jetta, no matter what year the Accord is. So I give you no advice on this.

I will help you out on the pickup truck thing though. Are you looking for 4wd or 2wd? I assume you want a small truck and full size is out since you are looking at Nissan. Please consider a 90's Toyota as well, they are just as reliable and easier to find since they sold more of them. Things to look out for on a 90's Toyota are the 3.0 v6, optional in the 88-94 models.

DO NOT BUY a Toyota truck or 4runner with the 3.0 v6, it is notorious for blowing headgaskets and is a turd with only 150hp. Later, 95+ models with the 3.4 V6 are awesome, totally different motor with a lot more grunt. Any 4 cylinder model is a good pick too, just don't buy a 4 cylinder/automatic, as they are total dogs, the 5 speed models are a lot quicker.

The main thing to watch for on 90's Toyotas is the rust. I feel the bodies hold up better than 90's Nissans, but always check the frames. That was the achilles heel on these trucks in the rust belt. If you live in the south like I do, you can find stuff like my 93 Toyota, 2wd with 150k miles for $500, ran flawlessly, zero rust, just needed a clutch and a little body work.

Or you can buy a Nissan, they are reliable too. Just keep your eyes open for the best deal, and please to god don't buy a Ranger, Dakota or S10
Old 01-29-13, 06:16 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

Another vehicle to consider is the Honda Element. My son has a 2003 model purchased new and it has been the typical Honda with no major issues. It is fun to drive and very versatile. You can fold the rear seats down for sleeping, hang them to the sides for more room to haul, or even remove them for even more room to haul. His is the EX model with an all wheel drive system that activates upon front wheel slippage.
Old 01-29-13, 09:05 AM
jmooney511
Driver School Candidate

So much grief I am receiving for wanting to sell my fun car . It's reliability is a great selling point in my eyes . Before I bought the IS300 turbo then swapped in GTE internals, I had my heart set on something that got great gas mileage. Lexi has been a fun project, but I think it's time to move on. I'm on 25 and have plenty of life to find another project car, 240Z .

Originally Posted by 2002GGPIS3
Wow you are getting rid of two cars I would love to have ! I feel you will miss a sporty ride and you will have a truck, so I would suggest a Subaru WRX, Mazda3, or Mazdaspeed 3 if you need the turbo, Nissan Maxima, Acura TSX, Acura TL, Infiniti G35, Lexus IS300( stock one), Lexus GS300, and Lexus ES300.

That said I would keep either the 300zx or IS300 turbo, life is to short to not enjoy such fun cars !
I may have found a buyer . The 300ZX is non turbo, so not as fun as Lexi. I'll have plenty of life to afford another fun car. I see some good car choices I would enjoy in your list but nothing that fits my MPG option.

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
had a honda accord 2002 auto v6, bought brand new and has 380k miles when traded. no problems with engine or tranny. only usual maintenance like spark plugs, cv axles, alternator, battery. very good car .
Thanks for the comment, it's definitely on my list.

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Why are you getting rid of that turbo IS300 if its reliable????

I will help you out on the pickup truck thing though. Are you looking for 4wd or 2wd? I assume you want a small truck and full size is out since you are looking at Nissan. Please consider a 90's Toyota as well, they are just as reliable and easier to find since they sold more of them.

If you live in the south like I do, you can find stuff like my 93 Toyota, 2wd with 150k miles for $500, ran flawlessly, zero rust, just needed a clutch and a little body work.
I hadn't thought of a Toyota truck in that body style, craigslist here I come. Definily looking for a 2wd, 4cyl, manual. The only hauling I will do will be moving and trips to the hardware store, nothing heavy duty. Thanks for the information on the Toyota truck. I'd be so happy to find one as you did for $500.

Originally Posted by wasjr
Another vehicle to consider is the Honda Element.
I've never been a fan of the toaster style cars, Honda Element and Scion whatever. But, thanks for the suggestion.