Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Marchionne on Alfa's US return, Dodge Dart's powertrain weakness and minivan plans

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-13, 08:38 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Marchionne on Alfa's US return, Dodge Dart's powertrain weakness and minivan plans

Marchionne on Alfa's US return, Dodge Dart's powertrain weakness and minivan plans

As a reporter covering an auto show, the one opportunity you never want to miss is going to the Sergio Marchionne press briefing.

There just aren't that many real characters left in the auto industry. Marchionne, who sits atop both Chrysler and Fiat, is not only one of the smartest execs in the business, but also the most frank. Herein, a sample of the quotable always-sweatered executive:

A controversial remark on the return of Alfa Romeo to the United States:

"This undertaking to bring Alfa back is a one-shot deal... We are not going to do this twice... Alfas must have 'wop' engines... and we don't have the powertrains worked out just yet.. we won't put any Chrysler engines in Alfas, or Maseratis."

The production Alfa Romeo 4C sports car, which may be unveiled at the Geneva Motor Show in March, is not ready for a US launch, Marchionne said earlier this week at the Detroit Auto Show. But then, on January 18 at the INforum breakfast in Detroit, Marchionne reportedly reversed course and said the 4C will be ready for US dealers by the end of this year. Given how many delays have been suffered in Alfa's return plans, we'll file this under "wait and see."

On his stable of brands:

Asked by a reporter if he was happy with his current brands, Marchionne replied, "No, actually I want to buy Volkswagen." The answer was intentionally snarky, as Marchionne has been in a pubic battle with Volkswagen AG supervisory board chairman Ferdinand Piëch, who has been trying to pressure Marchionne to sell Alfa to the German automaker. Marchionne has publicly singled out VW in recent months for not reducing capacity while Europe's demand for new vehicles languishes. Instead, VW has been exerting great price pressure on weaker rivals in Europe like Fiat, Peugeot, General Motors, Renault and Ford.

On the launch of the Dodge Dart:

"I take full ownership for the fact that it wasn't the launch that I wanted." Marchionne admitted that in a desire to pump up fuel economy, Dodge didn't offer the transmission options that Americans might have preferred. "The powertrain is less than ideal," he said during a roundtable discussion with reporters.

The automaker is trying to address some of the Dart's shortcomings and kickstart sluggish sales, as it unveiled a higher-performance version of the compact sedan, the Dart GT (pictured) at the Detroit show. The model features a 184-horsepower, 2.4-liter engine and sport-tuned suspension with high-tech shock absorbers. But it prices out at $6,000 above the base model.

On minivans and people movers:

Marchionne has been maddeningly unclear about the future of Chrysler's minivan business. The Chrysler Town & Country and Dodge Grand Caravan will continue to be produced as-is through 2014. But they will be replaced with one minivan and one additional "people mover" model, both of which he said would be produced in Windsor, Ontario, where the two minivans are produced now. What still lacks clarity is whether Chrysler will get the minivan, with Dodge getting the "people mover," or vice versa. Marchionne is still indefinite on the decision, but we'd bet on the Chrysler brand staying in the minivan business.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/01/18/m...rain-weakness/
Old 01-19-13, 08:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Alfas must have 'wop' engines
Hard to believe that a professional Italian buisnessman would use a term like that. That's considered a racial-slur.
Old 01-19-13, 09:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

"I take full ownership for the fact that it wasn't the launch that I wanted." Marchionne admitted that in a desire to pump up fuel economy, Dodge didn't offer the transmission options that Americans might have preferred. "The powertrain is less than ideal," he said during a roundtable discussion with reporters.
I agree...though I think that,outside of that shortcoming, the Dart is otherwise an excellent product, especially compared to the junk in the compact-class that Dodge marketed for decades. But he makes a point...the powertrain choices could be improved some, especially for the American market. What the Dart needs, at least as an option, (and lacks) is something like what we see in the Buick Verano......a larger, more-relaxed/more quiet-running four and a smooth conventional automatic. But, of course, the Verano cannot equal the Dart's gas mileage.
Old 01-19-13, 09:26 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Dart looks cool in the PR pics... but when you check video reviews, it doesnt really stand out at all, hence the sales numbers being low. Also interior in current Fiats and Alfa's for most part is not good looking.
Old 01-19-13, 09:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
Dart looks cool in the PR pics... but when you check video reviews, it doesnt really stand out at all, hence the sales numbers being low. Also interior in current Fiats and Alfa's for most part is not good looking.
The Dart's interior, though, is quite different from that of a Fiat or Alfa. Some versions have sharp-looking red stripes around the dash and door-trim.

Old 01-19-13, 09:41 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

well thats what I am saying... its cool that PR pics are shiny, and then for 27k you get this:

Its not bad, just very boring interior with gigantic 8.4" screen for $27k.
Old 01-19-13, 01:00 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was reading other articles a few days ago on Marchionne's comments on the alfa matter

here are some quotes
“I cannot come up with a schlock product, I just won’t,” Marchionne told a room of journalists at the car show. “I won’t put an American engine into that car. With all due respect to my American friends, it needs to be a wop engine.”
gotta love how this guy is so straight forward and blunt with his choice of words sometimes
lol
Old 01-19-13, 02:10 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by UberNoob
i was reading other articles a few days ago on Marchionne's comments on the alfa matter

here are some quotes

gotta love how this guy is so straight forward and blunt with his choice of words sometimes
lol
main problem here, as with Lutz in GM, is that they both talk the talk but they dont create compelling cars.
Fiat made 2 good decisions in past several years - 1 was 500, and 2nd was purchase of Chrysler.... Now Fiat is doing so bad that without Chrysler it would have gone under.

Alfa is starved for products, Fiat main models didnt get major redesign in almost a decade.
Old 01-19-13, 04:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
main problem here, as with Lutz in GM, is that they both talk the talk but they dont create compelling cars.
Lutz or no Lutz, GM does some pretty nice vehicles today.

Fiat made 2 good decisions in past several years - 1 was 500, and 2nd was purchase of Chrysler.... Now Fiat is doing so bad that without Chrysler it would have gone under.

Alfa is starved for products, Fiat main models didnt get major redesign in almost a decade.
Well, Fiat, along with VW and Renault, seems to do quite well in Europe. These three makes are arguably the top three-selling brands there (though not necessarily in that order). And TOP GEAR has always liked a number of Euro-spec Fiats, particularly the Panda.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-19-13 at 04:41 PM.
Old 01-19-13, 05:47 PM
daviomaron
Driver School Candidate

it doesnt really stand out at all, hence the sales numbers being low.
Old 01-19-13, 06:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by daviomaron
it doesnt really stand out at all, hence the sales numbers being low.
As a sedan body-style, it will probably do better in the U.S. than in Europe. In Europe, much of the public prefers hatchbacks.

Welcome, BTW....I see you are an almost brand-new poster.
Old 01-20-13, 11:10 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Either way, I expect that the core products for Alfa Romeo for a possible Stateside launch would be the upcoming Giulia as well as the 169 Executive/D-segment vehicle.
Old 01-21-13, 11:46 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
[B][CENTER][SIZE="5"]

Asked by a reporter if he was happy with his current brands, Marchionne replied, "No, actually I want to buy Volkswagen." The answer was intentionally snarky, as Marchionne has been in a pubic battle with Volkswagen AG supervisory board chairman Ferdinand Piëch, who has been trying to pressure Marchionne to sell Alfa to the German automaker. Marchionne has publicly singled out VW in recent months for not reducing capacity while Europe's demand for new vehicles languishes. Instead, VW has been exerting great price pressure on weaker rivals in Europe like Fiat, Peugeot, General Motors, Renault and Ford.

Am I the only one who noticed this spelling error? Lol
Old 01-21-13, 01:20 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Either way, I expect that the core products for Alfa Romeo for a possible Stateside launch would be the upcoming Giulia as well as the 169 Executive/D-segment vehicle.
Giulietta would be great too. Unless they have to sell it in great numbers in order to justify US homologation.
Old 01-21-13, 04:15 PM
mat305
Driver School Candidate

I wouldn't own an alfa if they gave me one. LOL

Quick Reply: Marchionne on Alfa's US return, Dodge Dart's powertrain weakness and minivan plans