Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Camry to Keep Its V6 Option

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-13, 08:09 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
We've seen the turbo four tuned low (base model) or high (top line model).
The point of my above information is to show what COULD be done. Higher brands have already proven the merits and success of the smaller, turbo engine. The technology is there but hasn't been tapped yet by lesser companies.

Speaking of VW, next year they will be dumping the base five cylinder for guess what... a turbo four.
V6 is staying, and 5cly was awful.

So far 1.6l Turbo from Fusion was almost the worst engine tested vs Camry and Honda's 4cly.

It would be mighty wrong for Toyota to add their turbo that would actually be slower and spend more gas in real life than 2GR that they use now. GR can also be improved with addition of 8 speed and D4S system to get both more power and fuel efficiency, but it probably wont be done since it would raise price of the vehicle.

I am not dissing on turbo's in general, just that these low cost implementations suck, just like low power 4cly non-turbo engines suck (for instance 1.8l in Corolla will always feel underpowered).
Old 01-21-13, 08:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
I am not dissing on turbo's in general, just that these low cost implementations suck, just like low power 4cly non-turbo engines suck (for instance 1.8l in Corolla will always feel underpowered).
Look at the Corolla's sales-numbers, though...without doubt one of the most popular cars in history. Many people buy a car for simple, reliable transportation, not drag-race acceleration. And, to boot, the Corolla adds a (relatively) smooth ride and powertrain, though somewhat hampered by the limitation of the dated four-speed automatic.
Old 01-21-13, 09:09 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

The number of 4-cyl econoboxes out there is testament to the willingness of the average person to drive a slow, underpowered vehicle. I've grown to used to the smooth, readily available power in my v8 to switch to a 4 cyl. My next car will probably be a V6(thinking Mazda 6, due to the number out there with manual transmissions).

Nothing beats a big engine for passing on the freeway or driving through mountains.
Old 01-21-13, 09:47 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I'd say the previous two generations of Camry and first two generations of Avalon have about the same steering responses and sharpness as a late 90's Buick Regal, LeSabre, or a Cadillac Seville or Deville. All of those cars were dull to drive, had numb, overboosted steering, tracked very straight down the interstate, and rode AWESOME. Just what old people wanted. They finally dialed in some sport with the newest Camry SE.
They drive nothing like those Buicks or Cadillacs. An Avalon would mop the floor with a Lucerne or LeSabre. Same with the Camry.
Old 01-22-13, 06:39 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The speed limits, though, in most parts of the U.S. generally limit the number of gears that a transmission actually needs for good highway-cruising efficiency. One cannot (legally) drive at Autobahn speeds here.....and, of course, in many places, traffic density itself prevents it.
We recently bought a new car with an 8 speed, transmission. Even at legal expressway and interstate speeds, in 8th gear the rpm's drop noticeably contributing to better fuel economy. With a slight tap on the accelerator the trans quickly drops down a gear or two as needed. It's so smooth I don't really notice the gear changes. I wasn't before, but now I am a fan of the 8 speed. Not so much with CVT's yet but I'll probably change my opinion on them in the future.
Old 01-22-13, 03:22 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Problem is.....the roads in Germany (where many of the best-handling and stiffest-riding European-designed cars come from) are usually glass-smooth, where a stiff suspension doesn't necessarily hurt comfort that much. Contrast that with many of the torn-up and pockmarked roads we have here in the U.S..........particularly in the Great Lakes/Northeast states and cities. Michigan's are (arguably) the worst. In Germany, road-maintenance seems to be taken very seriously....here, for a variety of reasons, it simply isn't. Euro-suspension vehicles, despite the clamor in the auto-press for them, are often just not suited to the rougher American roads.....although in the American South and Southwest, where the climate is mild and there is little frost/freeze-induced damage to the pavement, the roads are much better.
I don't agree with this at all. I've driven Euro cars with soft suspensions/fat tires to some that are harsh as anything built. They are fine on American roads.

Also some cities and states have much better roads than others.

Anywhoo.....I've always been a fan of extra cylinders than boost, especially for cars in this class. But it is clear consumers like both.

Old 01-23-13, 06:23 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

http://www.edmunds.com/ford/fusion/2013/road-test1.html

The Power of EcoBoost

It's worth noting that our 2013 Ford Fusion test car is an all-wheel-drive model, which likely contributed to its strong handling in our instrumented tests. As important, though, is that Ford succeeded in making a large car with a very long wheelbase drive like, well, a smaller car.

Part of the credit goes to the new 2.0-liter EcoBoost four-cylinder engine. It's now the most powerful engine in the lineup and it stomps out 237 horsepower at 5,500 rpm and 270 pound-feet of torque at a low 3,000 rpm on 87 octane fuel. Compare this to the V6 in Honda's Accord — probably the best big engine in the segment — and the Ford's liveliness begins to make some sense. The 3.5-liter Honda mill needs 1,900 more revs to deliver 18 fewer lb-ft of torque. Advantage: turbo engine.

The new four-cylinder is smooth and quiet, too. There's virtually none of the unpleasant harmonics common to this layout and it gladly revs to its 6,500-rpm redline.
That's what I noticed when I had a Ford Escape EcoBoost rental. Very smooth and refined engine with none of the thrashiness that you typically get with the bigger "super stroke" 2.4-2.5L class NA I-4 engines. All of the 2.0L or smaller turbocharged engines I've driven have been pretty refined and without the nastiness of the bigger 4-cylinders.
Old 01-23-13, 06:54 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
http://www.edmunds.com/ford/fusion/2013/road-test1.html

That's what I noticed when I had a Ford Escape EcoBoost rental. Very smooth and refined engine with none of the thrashiness that you typically get with the bigger "super stroke" 2.4-2.5L class NA I-4 engines. All of the 2.0L or smaller turbocharged engines I've driven have been pretty refined and without the nastiness of the bigger 4-cylinders.
only problem is when you put them to test together... then its not that good anymore.
Its great on paper though.
Old 01-23-13, 08:02 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
only problem is when you put them to test together... then its not that good anymore.
Its great on paper though.
What isn't good? They're all refined engines and have excellent power delivery with all of the torque and are zingy and fun to wind up, so the only thing that's really left are the acoustics which obviously, yes, are different. A 4 will sound different than a 6 which will sound different than an 8 or a 12.
Old 01-23-13, 08:24 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
What isn't good? They're all refined engines and have excellent power delivery with all of the torque and are zingy and fun to wind up, so the only thing that's really left are the acoustics which obviously, yes, are different. A 4 will sound different than a 6 which will sound different than an 8 or a 12.
as I said, so far in tests, V6's and regular good 4cly beat Ecoboost fusions in performance and mpg.

Check specs on this C&D test:
http://media.caranddriver.com/files/...ssat-25-se.pdf

there was another one but I cant find it with Camry as well and Fusion got the worst mpg out of the bunch, after Chevy, and it was also slower than 4cly.

So it is slower and gets worse mpg. Whats good about it? Compared to new 4cly in Accord, probably "Turbo" badge only and thats it?
Old 01-23-13, 08:31 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

From Consumer Reports regarding Fusion Turbos

Ford's two EcoBoost, turbocharged four-cylinder engines fall short in acceleration and fuel economy compared with the rival Honda Accord, Nissan Altima, and Toyota Camry, the magazine said.

"The 1.6-liter turbocharged four provides decent performance overall but needs to work hard and sounds gruff when revved," the magazine said. "The larger 2.0-liter turbocharged four delivers ample power but lacks the creamy smoothness of competing V-6s while also being slower and less efficient."

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/article/2013...#ixzz2IoiKHBq9
Old 01-23-13, 08:34 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pbm317
From Consumer Reports regarding Fusion Turbos
this is what I am talking about... Theory is great but in reality, it often falls short... Especially in cars like Fusion.

We could argue that 2.0T is a lot better powertrain than 2.5l V6 in IS250, but thats another story.
Old 01-23-13, 09:06 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Right from those specs, part of the problem is that the Fusion is the heaviest car in the group at over 3500 lbs. It's in excess of 300lb heavier than some of them. Also when comparing a smaller turbo-4 to a larger NA-4, there's no longer a significant difference in friction profiles between the engines as there is with a turbo-4 vs a V-6. Part of the problem might be the lower compression they use for regular fuel friendliness also on the Ford engines specifically.

Compare a BMW 328i to an Accord V6 and the Bimmer is just as fast (dead heat, actually faster in passing) and gets better mileage. And you know BMW isn't holding back on that engine. Per CR's data, the 328i gets 2 mpg better in the city, 1 mpg on the highway, and 2 mpg better overall (CR data, not EPA). Less than a 100 lb difference in weight between the cars also.
Old 01-23-13, 10:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blueprint
I don't agree with this at all. I've driven Euro cars with soft suspensions/fat tires to some that are harsh as anything built. They are fine on American roads.
I respect your opinion, Mike, but what's fine on glass-smooth Georgia roads in your part of the country may not be fine on roads in the Northeast and Great Lakes. You have to see and drive on some of those roads to believe it. Here in the D.C. area, we have all types...ranging from glass-smooth to severely pockmarked, depending on age/traffic and the amount that is locally spent on maintaining them.

Several auto-enthusiast magazines are either Headquartered in Michigan (primarily at Ann Arbor) or have office (s) there. They say the same thing in many of their tests...they like stiffly-sprung underinnings/tires on smooth surfaces, too, but the local roads in MI really do a number on them, not only sometimes causing tire/wheel/suspension damage but also causing premature squeaks/rattles in the cars from the pounding. That's why they like to take their cars south for an increasing number of their comparisons/tests (particularly to the Virginia International Raceway).

Anywhoo.....I've always been a fan of extra cylinders than boost, especially for cars in this class. But it is clear consumers like both.
Agreed. But, of course, in your GS Hybrid, the "extra cylinders" are provided by the electric motor.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-23-13 at 10:40 AM.
Old 01-23-13, 10:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Nothing beats a big engine for passing on the freeway or driving through mountains.
That's true to some extent, though a well-designed turbo can help quite a bit at higher altitudes by preserving more of the sea-level power as you climb. That's why turbos, both in cars and in General-Aviation piston aircraft, are generally popular out west in the Rockies.

Quick Reply: Camry to Keep Its V6 Option