Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Camry to Keep Its V6 Option

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-13, 12:44 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I totally agree that Camry and Accord should maintain their V6 engines. The others could ditch all they want and that's why they aren't number one and two in the segment haha.
Old 01-17-13, 04:57 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mrraider
Many people have doubts about the Sonata/Optima HP claims. There are heavier cars out their with lower output turbo 4s that are faster (A4, ATS 2.0, 328i)
With respect to most those, they are mostly underrated and reflect more "whp" than fly wheel
Old 01-18-13, 06:26 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Automobile mag dynoed the F30 328i and got 222 rwhp, about on par for BMW with a 240hp rating.
Old 01-18-13, 02:56 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with everyone that the v6 is something special in this car. After trying out both the v6 and i4 in the previous generation, you truly appreciate that extra grunt in the Camry.
Old 01-18-13, 11:56 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

They should definetley keep the 2GR-FE v6 option in the Camry, because its a proven winner. That engine has been out since 2007 with no changes, and IMO its still the best engine you can buy in a $30,000 family sedan. Its flawlessley smooth, quiet, gets great gas mileage, and straight hauls ***(low 14 second quarter mile times).
Old 01-19-13, 12:24 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

You all fell for it. More corporate bullcrap being fed to us like we are idiots. They have the V6 because they have no alternative turbo four offering that everyone else is starting to use.
Old 01-19-13, 04:40 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
You all fell for it. More corporate bullcrap being fed to us like we are idiots. They have the V6 because they have no alternative turbo four offering that everyone else is starting to use.
it seems you are being fed crap by companies who dont know how to make good V6 so have to resort to using inferior powertrains.

You can show me one Camry comparo where turbo 4 was better powertrain - let me give you a hint, it doesnt exist right now. Both Hyundai and Ford turbo's are slower and spend more fuel. But I guess "turbo" sounds great as a catchword.
Old 01-19-13, 04:47 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Until Toyota does actually come out with their turbocharged 4-cylinder powertrains, at which point they'll be better than the V6 and the greatest thing since sliced bread. Coming soon to the now V6-less RAV4? I wasn't all that impressed with the 2GR-FE in my RAV4. Screamed above 4k, but not enough low-end grunt.
Old 01-19-13, 05:17 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
Until Toyota does actually come out with their turbocharged 4-cylinder powertrains, at which point they'll be better than the V6 and the greatest thing since sliced bread. Coming soon to the now V6-less RAV4? I wasn't all that impressed with the 2GR-FE in my RAV4. Screamed above 4k, but not enough low-end grunt.
we are talking about Camry V6... plenty of comparo's to Fusion and Sonata and V6 are proven better every time in both speed and consumption. I am talking about instrumented tests.

So why the heck would you pay the same for 4cly? Because turbo is a cool word?

I am talking about specific applications in specific cars. Not some general statements.
As to general statements, 4cly vs 4cly turbo, turbo wins every time... Great V6 vs 4cly turbo? I have yet to see single win.
Old 01-19-13, 09:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I wouldn't necesarily call it corporate bull****. Believe me, there's enough real B.S. that comes from auto manufacturers every day. One has to remember that the Camry has always been intended to have relatively smooth, quiet drivetrains, even with the base fours. Perhaps the Toyota engineers/planners, despite the noted fuel-economy pressures, simply felt that a typical turbo four, even of Toyota-design, would be too unrefined at higher RPMs for a Camry. I'd at least give them the benefit of the doubt on this one unless we can prove otherwise.
Old 01-19-13, 12:16 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Your probably very right, and the simplest reason could be they don't have a Turbo 4, but Toyota also like to ride the wave and see what others offer, how it is perceived by the public and most importantly how it hold up, and everyone knows the major concern with turbo engines being sold to the daily drivers of America, is how will the turbo perform in the long run, multiple failures once the cars get up in age and mileage is not a good thing.
Old 01-19-13, 12:21 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
My buddy owns a V6 Camry, engine has great power and gas mileage but the car bobs and weaves and floats like an old Buick, I have not driven the newest camry sport model but I would expect it to be somewhat the same.

Its a great engine, more bang for the buck and help on the highway for passing but other then that, the perfect Camry is a loaded 4cylinder or Hybrid
Old 01-19-13, 12:59 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
My buddy owns a V6 Camry, engine has great power and gas mileage but the car bobs and weaves and floats like an old Buick, I have not driven the newest camry sport model but I would expect it to be somewhat the same.

Its a great engine, more bang for the buck and help on the highway for passing but other then that, the perfect Camry is a loaded 4cylinder or Hybrid
I've driven the new ones, the v6 with the SE package is pretty buttoned down and doesn't ride like your old man's Cadillac. Steering turn in is RIGHT NOW.
Old 01-19-13, 03:09 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

No Camry has every driven like an old land yacht Cadillac or Buick. That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
Old 01-19-13, 04:26 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 84Cressida
No Camry has every driven like an old land yacht Cadillac or Buick. That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
The 6th generation had a smooth quiet ride.

Quick Reply: Camry to Keep Its V6 Option