Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My new secondary

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-13, 10:11 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 170 Likes on 101 Posts

Nice car! It aint no beater though...
Old 01-13-13, 10:20 PM
fly2low
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been on the fence to get one, too. The Scion version, the lighter/stripper, the better. My last ounce of self discipline to wait for the (at least) second year.

Do me a favor and give us your update after awhile (1-2 weeks or so). I had a 07 IS350 so a reference to IS could be helpful too. Enjoy!

Last edited by fly2low; 01-13-13 at 11:45 PM.
Old 01-14-13, 01:11 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Very nice! Looks great.

I'm thinking about picking up one of these as well at some point. It pains me, but if I had to buy a US-spec FT-86, it'd be a BRZ because I can't stand that Toyota branded it as a Scion here. Even the Latin American regions get a Toyota-branded 86 (not sure about Mexico? Do they have Scion there?), with better standard and optional amenities. (Maybe I should import one.)

Last edited by gengar; 01-14-13 at 01:29 AM.
Old 01-14-13, 02:33 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

That's no beater.
Old 01-14-13, 10:35 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice pickup!

Haha, I'm at hillsdale mall all the time
Old 01-14-13, 12:17 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats! Awesome ride!
Old 01-14-13, 02:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,642 Posts

menthol - congrats, awesome car. just wondering, why did you get the subaru version instead of the scion?
Old 01-14-13, 09:03 PM
Menthol
Rookie

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
Nice pickup!

Haha, I'm at hillsdale mall all the time
Lets hang next time! Haha

Originally Posted by fly2low
I've been on the fence to get one, too. The Scion version, the lighter/stripper, the better. My last ounce of self discipline to wait for the (at least) second year.

Do me a favor and give us your update after awhile (1-2 weeks or so). I had a 07 IS350 so a reference to IS could be helpful too. Enjoy!
I will be sure to keep you guys updated, but for now I can say that this car can put a smile on my face like no other. (Yup sorry, but this includes the IS). I feel its fast enough and you can bust into a turn so fast to a point where you cant even believe how fast your going! The shifting is butter smooth. The seating and transmission placement is perfect. Steering feels stiff and tight. Love how it feels very planted as well.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
menthol - congrats, awesome car. just wondering, why did you get the subaru version instead of the scion?
Maybe I'm biased, but I'm not a fan of Scion at all and I really wanted a Subie. The subaru version comes stock with HID and navi which was a plus for me. The reason I got the Limited version was because of the fog lights and half leatherish seats. Oh btw, the seats feel awesome. I've never been a fan of cloth seats, but I'm sold for these. If there was no subbie version and only the Scion version, I probably would have considered a different car. Dont mean to offend anyone with a Scion though!
Old 01-14-13, 09:38 PM
fly2low
Driver

Originally Posted by Menthol

Maybe I'm biased, but I'm not a fan of Scion at all and I really wanted a Subie. The subaru version comes stock with HID and navi which was a plus for me. The reason I got the Limited version was because of the fog lights and half leatherish seats. Oh btw, the seats feel awesome. I've never been a fan of cloth seats, but I'm sold for these. If there was no subbie version and only the Scion version, I probably would have considered a different car. Dont mean to offend anyone with a Scion though!

I have a different train of thoughts. I want a stripper fun car that I take out just for fun and will keep for a long time. So, I am leaning toward FR-S. I have different vehicles for different purposes.

Plus, in SoCal it looks like the demand for FR-S has slowed down while Subaru dealers are still backordered although some have agreed to sell at MSRP.

Enjoy!
Old 01-14-13, 11:01 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Menthol
This is my exact logic as well, so I don't fault you for it. Don't forget no automatic climate control on the FR-S, either. I also believe remote entry is not available on the FR-S. You would think they would at least make these options on the Scion model.

BTW, I'm pretty sure the seat material on the BRZ premium is alcantara, which is way better than cloth. A similar leather/alcantara combo is used on the seat fronts of newer models of the IS-F, not to mention being a very cool option on the LFA.
Old 01-15-13, 07:56 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gengar
This is my exact logic as well, so I don't fault you for it. Don't forget no automatic climate control on the FR-S, either. I also believe remote entry is not available on the FR-S. You would think they would at least make these options on the Scion model.
There is remote entry on the FR-S. Drove one Sat with it. There is also an optional carbon fiber interior that looks awesome.

Congrats on the new ride OP.
Old 01-15-13, 08:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by menthol
I also believe remote entry is not available on the FR-S.
Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
There is remote entry on the FR-S. Drove one Sat with it. There is also an optional carbon fiber interior that looks awesome.
Virtually everything nowadays comes with a key fob (or electronic key) and remote-entry, with perhaps only some versions of the very bottom-line econoboxes excepted.
Old 01-15-13, 11:42 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Cool, thanks for the correction. I'm pretty sure I read a review of the BRZ limited early on that said the FR-S didn't have remote entry, but it must have been incorrect.
Old 01-15-13, 12:34 PM
fly2low
Driver

I think it could be that BRZ has a push button start while FRS doesn't. Could OP verify this? I am too lazy to open Subaru's website.
Old 01-15-13, 04:24 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Very nice, but i have a question, are these sold as scions? toyotas? or subarus? Or is 2 or more, what are the differences between them? like major differences if any

Quick Reply: My new secondary