Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Should Lexus reintroduce the IS SportCross?
Yes, utility and style!
87.50%
No, who wants a hatch?
0%
I'm not sure.
12.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Lexus hints at possible IS SportCross comeback

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-13, 09:15 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Lexus hints at possible IS SportCross comeback

Lexus hints at possible IS SportCross comeback

We're looking forward to seeing the 2014 Lexus IS in person next week at the Detroit Auto Show to see if its brazen design is any less polarizing in person, but Lexus (or at least its Facebook team) has dropped a not-too-subtle hint about the possible return of the SportCross body style – something in between a hatchback and station wagon. The current generation IS comes in sedan and convertible models, but this is an interesting teaser that might suggest an expanded IS lineup.

On its Facebook page, Lexus said:
Do you remember the '02 IS 300 Sport Cross with its style, utility and performance? Will we bring it back? Watch the 2014 IS premiere on Facebook in 6 days to find out!

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/01/10/l...meback-w-poll/
Old 01-10-13, 09:20 PM
LexFather

Honestly I would think it gets raised like an Audi All-Road or have something truly different about it, like a hybrid. Otherwise I just don't see another Lexus wagon doing well unless they would be happy with the 300 or so sales a month the TSX wagon gets. The RX sold 12,000 units last month!

Old 01-10-13, 10:01 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm for it. I had a good friend buy the 1IS Sportcross and she loves it. If Lexus does it right we could also get an IS F sportcross to compete with the Audi RS4 Avant wagon...

More IS variants means more choices for everyone.

IS 300h (Europe)
IS 250/350 Sedan
IS 250/350 Wagon

IS F

Last edited by Trexus; 01-10-13 at 11:11 PM.
Old 01-10-13, 10:19 PM
stick
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd buy an IS-F SportCross.
Old 01-10-13, 10:48 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Right now I think a coupe is more important than a wagon...

But what the heck, I'd like to see one. (Long as a coupe comes out as well!)
Old 01-10-13, 11:07 PM
Trexus

A coupe is imminent and is more important than a wagon. Not sure if it'll be an IS coupe or RC coupe (since Lexus recently trademarked RC 350).
Old 01-10-13, 11:14 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Oh for god's sake! Seriously Lexus?

I have nothing against a new IS Sportcross model being offered, but enough already Lexus! Show us the IS COUPE! The IS model SO MANY of us have been waiting for going on many years now. A TRUE IS COUPE!
Old 01-10-13, 11:34 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

I have nothing against them doing this, but I don't think they are. I think they're punking us, partially because the PR folks running the FB post ran out of Throwback Thursday posts.
Old 01-11-13, 06:47 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like Mike said, Lexus would need to beef up the fenders and bumpers and create something similar to Audi's "Allroad" models for this to be successful in the U.S., IMO. I am certainly for it, but I also wonder if it might be shown at NAIAS because the 3IS is debuting there, but only available in Europe? Lexus does need more wagons in Europe - badly. IS 300h Sport Cross would be cool and probably very successful there.

I really struggle with the fact that Lexus is not planning to bring the IS 300h here. They claimed that between the CT and ESh, there was no need for an ISh. I hope that is a weak excuse and the reality is that they don't think they can cover production of that car for Europe, other markets AND the U.S. CT is a very small and slow hatchback. ES is even larger than the GS, and much more "executive". No ISh leaves a gaping hole in their lineup for a small, sporty, fun to drive hybrid. Quite frankly, it's the model I was most excited about and would have considered buying. 217hp and ~39-41MPG? Are you kidding? They'd never be able to keep them on the lot! I think they could realistically sell 1,000 - 1,500 IS 300hs a month and never have a problem.

Last edited by MPLexus301; 01-11-13 at 06:50 AM.
Old 01-11-13, 08:41 AM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I love the idea of wagons, but they never seem to catch on. Personally I would prefer to see a strategy that brings the next generation ISF sooner, along with a 3 row crossover to compete with Audi Q and Infiniti JX. I would buy a wagon, but it would have to be at least GS-sized.
Old 01-11-13, 09:23 AM
Trexus

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I really struggle with the fact that Lexus is not planning to bring the IS 300h here. They claimed that between the CT and ESh, there was no need for an ISh. I hope that is a weak excuse and the reality is that they don't think they can cover production of that car for Europe, other markets AND the U.S. CT is a very small and slow hatchback. ES is even larger than the GS, and much more "executive". No ISh leaves a gaping hole in their lineup for a small, sporty, fun to drive hybrid. Quite frankly, it's the model I was most excited about and would have considered buying. 217hp and ~39-41MPG? Are you kidding? They'd never be able to keep them on the lot! I think they could realistically sell 1,000 - 1,500 IS 300hs a month and never have a problem.
I agree with you regarding the IS 300h. My girlfriend's co-worker is very much interested in a hybrid IS. The IS has the "youthful" projection as oppose to "executive". The CT is a much smaller entry level vehicle and the ES is much larger so the IS hybrid would fill the gap nicely. The fwd HS would also fill that gap as well but styling wise just would not cut it here in the U.S.

Lexus please bring the IS 300h to the United States!

As far as an IS wagon, Lexus could also bring in a hybrid sportcross. Imagine an IS 450h SportCross...

Last edited by Trexus; 01-11-13 at 12:24 PM.
Old 01-11-13, 10:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

When I bought my IS300 in April of 2001 (I had that car when I originally joined CL), the SportCross wasn't (yet) available. I would have seriously considered (and maybe bought one) if it had been. Of course, when it was introduced, almost nobody actually bought one...and, of course, that affected resale/residual values.
Old 01-11-13, 10:51 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Let the CT be the Sportcross.

The IS has a purpose and style of its own.
Old 01-11-13, 10:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Otherwise I just don't see another Lexus wagon doing well
By the term (other Lexus wagon), I assume you are referring to the CT's good sales?

I have to admit I may have been a little short-sided when I first reviewed the CT. I stated then (and still feel) that the CT, for several reasons, would have been better-marketed with a Toyota rather than Lexus badge. But there is no denying (by me or anyone else) the CT's success in the marketplace.....yes,even as a Lexus.
Old 01-11-13, 12:12 PM
Trexus

Here's a rendition (photoshop) of a 3IS SportCross.

Quick Reply: Lexus hints at possible IS SportCross comeback