Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Car and Driver gets a deeper look at the 2014 Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-12, 12:32 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Car and Driver gets a deeper look at the 2014 Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG

Car and Driver gets a deeper look at the 2014 Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG

It's still under a suit of camouflage, but Mercedes-Benz brought an E63 AMG to Southern California and invited Car and Driver columnist and former Editor-in-Chief Csaba Csere to ride shotgun. Before clicking in, Csere does a walkaround and notes the changes, most of which we've seen on the refreshed standard E-Class. He then takes a ride with the head of AMG, Olla Källenius, and asks questions that Källenius spends much of his time not exactly answering.

Things get more informative when Csere hops in the car with Tobias Moers, AMG's head of vehicle development, to find out exactly what separates the AMG E-Class from its less-heated brother. Csere especially wanted to know if the addition of 4MATIC killed the sporting intentions of the AMG sedan, and was pleased to find out that that wasn't – well, not exactly – the case.

Car and Driver also puts numbers to the coming sedan, pegging the 5.5-liter, twin-turbo V8 at 550 horsepower and 531 foot-pounds of torque, for 32 more horses and 15 more torques than the outgoing model. In Csere's written piece for the magazine, he predicts a sub-3.5-second time for the 0-to-60 mile-per-hour sprint (in the video it's predicted to be 3.3 seconds), with the run to 100 mph needing another 4.3 seconds. The quarter-mile is estimated to take 11.7 seconds, and gas mileage is expected to remain the same: 16 miles per gallon in the city, 24 mpg on the highway. For context, Car and Driver's split for the 2012 E63 AMG was 3.8 seconds for the sprint from naught to 60 mph, and a 12-second quarter mile.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/12/26/c...rcedes-benz-e/
Old 12-26-12, 08:38 PM
Hoovey689

If BMW's 4.4L TT V8 is pumping out 560hp, I'd expect this 5.5L TT V8 unit to push 600 at least. MBZ missed an opportunity here
Old 12-27-12, 06:09 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

sub-3.5 0-60?
Old 12-27-12, 08:15 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Clearly this car will beat the M5 0-60, but we all know that is not a measure of how fun a car is to drive. I think this is a gimmick to make up for the fact that they have a pretty poor product these days.

Mercedes really is the most backward of luxury automakers these days. They have a single clutch transmission, no active differential, their smartphone integration is extremely primitive, they have a retro 7" nav screen, no HUD, gear shift lever on the steering column, low quality leather, plastic dash trim, etc.

Audi, Lexus and BMW all crush Mercedes in terms of handling, product features and functionality.
Old 12-27-12, 12:06 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by *Batman*
Clearly this car will beat the M5 0-60, but we all know that is not a measure of how fun a car is to drive. I think this is a gimmick to make up for the fact that they have a pretty poor product these days.

Mercedes really is the most backward of luxury automakers these days. They have a single clutch transmission, no active differential, their smartphone integration is extremely primitive, they have a retro 7" nav screen, no HUD, gear shift lever on the steering column, low quality leather, plastic dash trim, etc.

Audi, Lexus and BMW all crush Mercedes in terms of handling, product features and functionality.
Yeah, sounds like you're hating a bit too much. Read the review below. It mimics just about any other review of the current E63- it's an absolute riot to drive and in fact very entertaining. I can tell you're not paying attention because the E63 doesn't even have a gearshift on the column or low quality leather. The tech things you mentioned will be addressed in the facelift. The dash will be available in leather, even though I'd hardly call the plastics low-rent in the current model. To each their own of course, but give the car a fair shake.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test
Old 12-27-12, 01:28 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

WOW MB actaully let BMW win the HP war on this model. WOW!! That hasnt happened in a while
Old 12-31-12, 07:09 PM
LexFather

The E63 actually was lauded for handling better than the M5 in a few places and Mercedes makes quite a few cars that BMW has no answer to, SLS, Black Series cars, etc. Honestly most are not driven at the limits, they are awesome cars all in their own right and offer rarity and heritage and image and panache.

AWD will surely give it a better launch and make it easier to drive, Porsche learned that a long time ago.

Panamera Turbo, M5, E63, S6 and RS6 are all just amazing sedans...

Old 12-31-12, 07:49 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

The new E class looks great with the luxury grill but with the sport grill, that hood line just above the grill is killing it for me
Old 12-31-12, 09:29 PM
Hoovey689

really dislike the headlights. Miss the old quad look which gave it a unique look
Old 01-10-13, 06:06 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

2014 Mercedes-Benz E 63 AMG Sedan And Wagon Now With More Powerrr

Two days after seeing the first photo of the all-wheel drive E 63 AMG coming next year, Mercedes-Benz was kind enough to give us all the details about their newest muscle cars. Yes, we appear to be getting the wagon.

The big news is that while the saloon (sedan) can be ordered with the classic rear-wheel drive setup, the estate comes with the 4MATIC all-wheel drive as standard. Of course, the saloon can be ordered the extra grip as well, which comes in handy when somebody orders the top of the line S version. While the "normal" E 63 AMGs get 557 horses and 531 pound-feet of torque from the 5461 cc hand-built biturbo V8, the S-Model has 585 hp and 590 lb·ft. All-wheel drive or not, since 67 percent of the kraft is going to the rear, those figures can melt the 285/30 rear tires without breaking a sweat. Doing 0-62 in an big estate car in 3.7 seconds must be a lot of fun, and since the maximum torque is available between 1750-5000 rpm, the 7-speed automatic can do its job as without having to look for the power.

While the Sport, Sport+ or Manual modes are probably more entertaining, the "Controlled Efficiency" settings can help the E 63 achieve around 22 mpg depending on the body style and the tune with start/stop and lower gear changes. The 4MATICS only makes the car 154 pounds heavier, but it gives you selective braking intervention on individual wheels, which is something you want while hooning on country roads. The S-Model also gets a proper differential lock on the rear axle, which means the E 63 AMG will perform much better on occasional track-duty. Since the front track is 1.88 wider than the rear, cornering speeds should be fine as well. Carbon brakes are also optional on the S-Models.

In terms of the styling and the interior, expect everything you already knew from the standard 2014 E-Class, plus more, since we are talking about AMG. For carbon fiber everywhere, you will have to pay more, but luckily, the "V8 BITURBO" badges come as standard.

So, you want a wagon in S. I know.
*source
http://jalopnik.com/5974772/2014-mer...errr/gallery/1
Old 01-10-13, 06:15 AM
gilberjj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who actually buys these cars? It's fun to read about, but that is a TON of money for a car that's just ugly.... Plus I hate automatics. I don't care how fast they are, it's not all about stats. I doubt this car would be as engaging and fun to drive as an old m3 or m5.
Old 01-10-13, 06:30 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something about this design looks a lot less expensive and aggressive to me.
Old 01-10-13, 07:11 AM
LexFather

557hp or 585hp Utterly awesome

Old 01-10-13, 09:53 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

doesn't appeal to me much. front is soft and round, rear is square and hard lines.

power is ridiculous... sub 3.5....
Old 01-10-13, 10:28 AM
Hoovey689

kind of a tiny navi/multi media screen for this class anymore

Quick Reply: Car and Driver gets a deeper look at the 2014 Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG