Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2012 GX 460 Premium Review "The End of an Era"?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-13, 11:59 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
do not like 7 seat 'mid-size' suvs because you have to choose between people or cargo, and when you choose cargo, those 3rd row seats take up a lot of room, even if they fold 'flat', it still means the floor is higher. better off with a minivan if you're gonna take 6/7 people around a lot.
That's all true, but the 7 passenger SUVs are more intended for people with 2-3 kids who only sometimes need to use the 3rd row for, say, your kid's friends, or visiting family, and not intended to carry 7 people on a weekend trip.

You can, however, also store cargo on the roof rails, so it's not like these can't take 7 on a camping trip.
Old 01-15-13, 12:45 PM
fly2low
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious what CLers think as the competition of GX460 if you were in the market?
Old 01-15-13, 11:12 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent review Mike. Very well done as always. It's always good to see in depth PERSONAL reviews from guys like you and Mmarshall. I enjoy reviews from the perspective of guys here at CL.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The GX is nice, but very quirky in some usability like the barn door. I'd prefer to see a traditional rear hatch on a 7-passenger unibody chassis........ Had this car been out in 2008 it would have been very advanced for it's class. As it stands, the GX is pretty long in the tooth even being 3 years old. I fear they will neglect it even longer

Oh and the 303hp and 329lbft from the 4.6L..... you have a perfectly good 4.6L putting out 367/380/386hp and 360lbft....
Exactly!

Originally Posted by pbm317
While that's true, the tuning and torque curves etc for a heavy SUV that may need to tow are very different from the needs of a sedan..
Great point but why is it that Jaguar/Land Rover have been successful with their 4.2 V8 engines in the older XF and Range Rover? Not to mention their current 5.0 V8 in the XF/XJ and off road and high tow rated Range Rovers? I never understood why Lexus detuned that fantastic and fuel efficient motor in their newly designed GX? Instead of increasing the weight by nearly 400 lbs for the 2nd gen GX (when everyone else including Land Rover), they should have gone unibody like the GL and others and not worry with concerns about cannibalizing their highly successful smaller RX. The GX460 will need more than the spindle grille whenever they do decide to update it.
Old 01-16-13, 07:26 AM
LexFather

Thanks everyone, I appreciate it.

This week I've had time with the previous gen ML 450 and the 2013 ML 450. If I have time I'll do a review on the new one. Now the MSRP was 75k (it was already sold) but it drives significantly better than the previous model, the interior is very well done and there is more room than a GX, it is a much larger SUV. Like the GX the rear seats fold flat with the touch of button. I always forget the ML uses a column mounted shifter. Internetz gave that a pass

So far though the new Range Rover is the one that blew me away and I believe they will offer a 7 seat version but the price was 95k on the one I drove.

While I am no fan of the looks, the Infiniit QX56 is clearly the big bargain here and a reason they sell very well for such a big SUV.

Old 01-16-13, 08:06 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 160 Posts

When I was in the market for a new SUV to replace our 08 GX470 (which I actually loved) I considered the GL, X5, Q7, QX56 and LR4 or RR Sport. I wanted something with some luxury including NAV, heated /cooled seats, third row seating, heated steering wheel, etc. My budget was $60k +/- a couple thousand. The GL and the RR Sport were way more than I wanted to spend with all of the options I wanted and the QX56 was also more but I couldn't get over the exterior looks of it. That left me with the Q7, LR4, X5 and GX. I didn't care for the Q7 at all but I really liked the LR4 and the X5. The issues I had with these two were reliability. Even though they would be under warranty I don't want to see my dealer that much and I knew with the GX I only would need to see the dealer for oil changes (at least from my personal experience). The X5 is a better driving car for sure and the tech seemed top notch but it doesn't really do well in bad weather (not that we have had a lot recently anyway). The LR4 was my wife's favorite and we may get that next but it get really bad gas mileage, maintenance seems more expensive (brakes/rotors/tires don't last long and aren't cheap) and even the salesman couldn't give me confidence in the reliability of this truck. That left us with the GX460 which while not the best looking or best driving SUV, it was exactly $60k for the premium model with rear seat entertainment and we knew it was reliable and was a good bad weather performer. There are some things that we don't like about it but it met our needs. Had the GL been around the same price I probably would have gone with that.
Old 01-16-13, 09:02 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
This week I've had time with the previous gen ML 450 and the 2013 ML 450. If I have time I'll do a review on the new one. Now the MSRP was 75k (it was already sold) but it drives significantly better than the previous model, the interior is very well done and there is more room than a GX, it is a much larger SUV.
good info. surprised a bit that the ML has more room than a GX, although the GX is very narrow and probably its body on frame design and sophisticated high travel suspension eat into interior room too.

I always forget the ML uses a column mounted shifter. Internetz gave that a pass
in an suv i think a column shifter is awesome, to provide more storage/other space on the center console area.

While I am no fan of the looks, the Infiniit QX56 is clearly the big bargain here and a reason they sell very well for such a big SUV.
QX is definitely fugly, but lovable.
Old 01-16-13, 06:56 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Thanks everyone, I appreciate it.

This week I've had time with the previous gen ML 450 and the 2013 ML 450. If I have time I'll do a review on the new one. Now the MSRP was 75k (it was already sold) but it drives significantly better than the previous model, the interior is very well done and there is more room than a GX, it is a much larger SUV. Like the GX the rear seats fold flat with the touch of button. I always forget the ML uses a column mounted shifter. Internetz gave that a pass

So far though the new Range Rover is the one that blew me away and I believe they will offer a 7 seat version but the price was 95k on the one I drove.

I think you mean GL Mike.

No third row and no 450 in the ML.
Old 01-16-13, 10:42 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES

No sir, you are wrong

The ML450 Hybrid SUV generates 335 hp 38lb·ft 21 city / 24 highway. Had a short run starting late 09

Old 01-16-13, 10:54 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

No sir, you are wrong
You might want to re-read what he posted.

There is no '13 ML 450 that Mike referenced and there was also no third row in the ML. The hybrid was a limited release, lease only as well, but that's besides the point.
Old 01-16-13, 11:05 PM
Hoovey689

You might want to re-read what he posted.

There is no '13 ML 450 that Mike referenced and there was also no third row in the ML. The hybrid was a limited release, lease only as well, but that's besides the point.
my mistake. I read you denied the ML450's existence
Old 01-17-13, 09:22 AM
LexFather

Egads .....I need a drink

Old 01-17-13, 09:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Egads .....I need a drink

Relax, Mike. We all make technical mistakes once in a while when posting. I'm no different.
Old 02-22-13, 08:01 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Does anyone know when the 2014 GX 460 will arrive with the new spindle grill?
Old 02-22-13, 11:15 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Trexus
Does anyone know when the 2014 GX 460 will arrive with the new spindle grill?
We don't know yet, but best bet is in 3rd quarter of this year
Old 02-23-13, 09:25 AM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

We don't know yet, but best bet is in 3rd quarter of this year
Thanks Hoovey! I'm seriously thinking of getting one around that time period (July-September) of this year...

Quick Reply: 2012 GX 460 Premium Review "The End of an Era"?