Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Quick Spin: 2013 Subaru Outback Limited

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-13, 01:56 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Quick Spin: 2013 Subaru Outback Limited

2013 Subaru Outback Limited

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2013-...photo-5552687/

Engine: 2.5L H4
Power: 173 HP / 174 LB-FT
Transmission: CVT
Drivetrain: AWD
Curb Weight: 3,459 LBS
Towing: 2,700 LBS
Seating: 2+3
Cargo: 34.3 CU-FT
MPG: 24 City / 30 HWY
MSRP: $29,095 (Limited)

Subaru has given the 2013 Outback a host of detail changes and updates, though you'd hardly know from looking at it. The mild exterior changes mostly go unnoticed, and if you're comparing on a numbers basis, the new 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine is bang-on what the old engine would do. The biggest news is EyeSight, Subaru's new stereo camera-based system that drives lane-departure warning, active cruise control, automatic emergency braking and forward collision alert functions.

The 2013 Outback spent some time in my driveway, and as far as jacked-up wagons with off-road cladding go, this is one of the most affordable of the lot. That doesn't mean it's cheap; the Outback I tried was a Limited model with moonroof, navigation, EyeSight, leather and CVT added on. That takes the Outback from its roughly $25,000 starting point and adds nearly $10,000, landing solidly in the mid-$30,000 range. Still, against its most natural competitors like the Volvo XC70 and Audi A6 Avant, the Outback is a better value.

DRIVING NOTES
  • The new 2.5-liter four-cylinder is surprisingly happy in this big wagon. It never felt underpowered, though it also never felt abundantly strong. Adequate.
  • Even more shocking, the CVT and four-cylinder combo proved smooth and refined most of the time. Hard acceleration, like merging on the highway, was really the only time the slippy-revvy characteristic of the CVT appeared. Most of the time it was as unobtrusive as the smoothest automatic transmission.
  • This is a very nice car in Limited trim, and the interior materials are better than I remember them being in the last Outback I sampled. The leather seats are very comfortable for long hauls, the interior is acceptably quiet, and the car is a perfect match for climates that see lots of inclement weather. Driving through rain and snow quickly points out what the buzz is all about with these cars. The Outback is comfy and confident in the slop.
  • When it's dry, you pay a price for the increased ride height and chunky tires. Still, sporty handling is not this car's forte unless you're competing in winter rallies.
  • The navigation system is fiddly to use, the screen is now on the small side compared to the competition and it generally just isn't that good. It took a lot more active babysitting of the nav to get it to display useful information and get me to a destination when a clogged highway changed my route. The key to a successful arrival turned out to be 70-percent my own wits and 30-percent the navigation system's capabilities.
  • The EyeSight system is mostly annoying. It's really sensitive and alerts at the slightest provocation. The first thing I did every time I got into the Outback was hold down the two overhead buttons to shut the EyeSight system up.
  • The fuel economy I saw was better than you'll get out of a CUV or SUV with comparable space, though given the ride height and size, the Outback is practically a crossover anyway, so the solid mid-to-high 20s I was able to squeeze from each gallon of fuel are mostly due to having a small engine and a transmission programmed to reach for the sky as fast as possible.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/01/09/2...k-spin-review/
Old 01-09-13, 06:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Subaru has given the 2013 Outback a host of detail changes and updates, though you'd hardly know from looking at it.
One thing the article did not mention (but Consumer Reports did when they tested the 2013 Outback) was the suspension change for this year, which sharpened the handling a little but made for a stiffer ride. I test-drove a couple of 2012 versions and, IMO, the change was not needed.
Old 01-09-13, 07:03 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I've always liked the Subaru Outback. It's AWD, can go past 200k easily, even the new ones, and it's always been kind of stylish. If I was in the market for a wagon, I would gladly pay $30,000 for this one.
Old 01-09-13, 07:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SC400slide
I've always liked the Subaru Outback. It's AWD, can go past 200k easily, even the new ones, and it's always been kind of stylish. If I was in the market for a wagon, I would gladly pay $30,000 for this one.
I had a four-cylinder Outback I bought new in 2005 (an early-production 2006) and kept for almost seven years, and was quite pleased with it, although around the 40,000 mile mark I had to replace a couple of things I wasn't expecting to, like the engine cooling-fan and a power-window-regulator. They are excellent snow cars, and quite versatile with their high ground clearance and wagon-body cargo area.

One thing on the new ones (2010 and later) that is annoying is that, like on the newer non-turbo Imprezas and Foresters, Subaru used red/blue idiot-lights for engine temperature instead of a proper gauge. The nice two-tone paint options were also dropped.
Old 01-09-13, 07:19 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Subaru used red/blue idiot-lights for engine temperature instead of proper gauge.
I didn't know that. That is idiotic! lol
Old 01-09-13, 07:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SC400slide
I didn't know that. That is idiotic! lol
The WRX, STi, and the Forester Touring package kept the gauge...but most of the other Subarus, at least in the Ameerican market, get the red/blue engne-lights instead. I don't know this for a fact, but, from what I hear, all Japanese home-market Subarus get the gauge.

On the newer Legacy/Outbacks, an MPG / vaccum-gauge, to the left of the speedometer, takes the place of the former temperature gauge. It essentially shows you, in analog form, what the trip-computer shows in digits.....how much gas you are using and what kind of mileage you're getting. Complete waste of dash space, IMO.