Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Jeep Patriot and Compass ditch CVT for six-speed auto

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-13, 04:47 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default 2014 Jeep Patriot and Compass ditch CVT for six-speed auto

2014 Jeep Patriot and Compass ditch CVT for six-speed auto

It was reported in Automotive News a few months ago, but a new report on Allpar.com adds some details to news that the 2014 Jeep Compass and Patriot will get a six-speed automatic to replace the CVTs they currently use. According to a tip provided to Allpar, the 2014 models will begin production in March and be on sale sometime in the summer. The Jatco-sourced CVT in use until now – Jatco is owned by Nissan and Mitsubishi – has been often criticized, and many won't be sad to see it go.

The incoming six-speed automatic is said to be an all-wheel-drive cog-swapper that's the work of Hyundai and Magna and has been paired with the DynaMax AWD system used in the Hyundai ix35 and Kia Sportage. It won't be the only Chrysler product using a transmission with ties to Hyundai: the six-speed automatic in the Dodge Dart comes from Powertech, which is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Hyundai. With the Patriot and Compass said to be driving down the trail for the last time this year, it will be a short run for the new tranny and the rumored addition of a backup camera and power rear liftgate on the Compass.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/01/07/2...ix-speed-auto/
Old 01-08-13, 01:10 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Jatco-sourced CVT in use until now – Jatco is owned by Nissan and Mitsubishi – has been often criticized, and many won't be sad to see it go.
What on earth? Is there too much anti-CVT hatred in our world today? How can there be people who would go against such a well-executed transmission?

I mean, CVT gearboxes like the Jatco units are used from anything from a Mitsubishi Outlander Sport/ASX to a Nissan Murano with V6 and All-Wheel-Drive. It does extremely well.

Why so much hate and disapproval?
Old 01-08-13, 02:12 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
What on earth? Is there too much anti-CVT hatred in our world today? How can there be people who would go against such a well-executed transmission?

I mean, CVT gearboxes like the Jatco units are used from anything from a Mitsubishi Outlander Sport/ASX to a Nissan Murano with V6 and All-Wheel-Drive. It does extremely well.

I hate it because I live in Nissan country, the Nashville Metropolitan area. We sell a TON of Nissans here, because the factory is in Smyrna TN, about 28 miles southeast from the downtown core of Nashville. I have heard from numerous poeple who bought the Nissan coolaid about how their transmissions crapped out on them before 100k miles, and how it costs over $3,000 to rebuild one

Not to mention how they felt their Nissan vehicles, built right here in their neighborhood felt like a bucket of bolts, lots of squeaks/rattles, and generally junky interiors.

EDIT: To be honest, I'd much rather buy a new Honda, Mazda, Toyota, GM, Ford, Kia, or Hyundia over a new Nissan. I cannot argue about how much their products suck *** in terms of quality/reliability, when I know so many who own them. All this despite my mother being indirectly employed by a Nissan supplier, I still think their products suck ***.

Last edited by Aron9000; 01-08-13 at 02:16 AM.
Old 01-08-13, 04:38 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

To Nissan's credit, they extended the warranty on the problem models. We had a '09 Maxima (got it in summer of '08) in the family up until a few months ago an it never skipped a beat. I really liked that car, actually. It was only 3 years old when we sold it though.
Old 01-08-13, 12:24 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

A nice addition, but I'd rather they go with an 8-speed unit
Old 01-08-13, 03:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven

Actually, no hate at all for well-designed CVTs that operate well and are not annoying to drive (Nissan CVTs are arguably the best examples). Subaru, IMO, also did the CVTs on the newer 2010-2103 Legacy/Outback pretty well. But many other CVTs, including the ones Subaru itself uses on the new 2013 Impreza and XV Crosstrek models, leave quite a bit to be desired.
Old 01-08-13, 05:15 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
A nice addition, but I'd rather they go with an 8-speed unit
You're asking a lot from a car that's going to be replaced in a year :P. It's replacement will likely be using the 9-speed unit Fiat-Chrysler has coming.
Old 01-08-13, 10:29 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Wonder when we'll start seeing shift ***** like this pop up in passenger cars: