Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Accord Better than Specs

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-14, 12:35 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Accord Better than Specs

While I had my wife's 2011 Accord coupe in for service I drove a new Accord EXL V-6 sedan. I was amazed! The car is much faster than the engine rating would imply. This car is quick! The interior measurements would imply mid-pack interior room, but it is much larger in real life. Plenty of rear seat room, near that of the new ES. The car is really near luxury with nice interiors, great room, and excellent performance. If the new TLX improves on this Accord, Acura will be back.

The dealer had a Touring model with the tires and wheels from the V-6 coupe. Lots of grip an a sporty drive, but noise and rough riding.

Steve
Old 06-29-14, 02:50 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes that's what we call an Understatement
Old 06-29-14, 02:56 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

And it's crazy to think that's Honda's V6 still has much more untapped potential; DOHC, DI, and dual valve timing..

Last edited by yowps3; 06-29-14 at 03:35 AM.
Old 06-29-14, 05:50 AM
LexFather

The V-6 has always pulled strong. The Accord still sells well. Acura hadn't invested enough to differentiate their products from their own Accord. There is barely a reason to buy their top of the line product over a loaded Accord and the market agrees. Heck they look nearly identical.

The hybrid and plug in are awesome and a loaded accord at 35/40k has great features. It's also handsome and offered seperate leds with led lights as an option.

What isn't being mentioned on the internetz is the Accord hasn't faired well in reviews where it used to dominate and Honda dropped it's previous sporty more sophisticated suspension for a more mundane one.

The tlx should be able to meet it's modest 44k sales goal, I wouldn't call it some amazing comeback when they used to sell 70k.

Last edited by LexFather; 06-29-14 at 05:56 AM.

Old 06-29-14, 12:20 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
The V-6 has always pulled strong. The Accord still sells well. Acura hadn't invested enough to differentiate their products from their own Accord. There is barely a reason to buy their top of the line product over a loaded Accord and the market agrees. Heck they look nearly identical.

What isn't being mentioned on the internetz is the Accord hasn't faired well in reviews where it used to dominate and Honda dropped it's previous sporty more sophisticated suspension for a more mundane one.

The tlx should be able to meet it's modest 44k sales goal, I wouldn't call it some amazing comeback when they used to sell 70k.
Honestly IMO all Honda has to do with the TLX is take the Accord and make it sportier with a new front fascia and tails + a couple more features...I thought the prototype looked great....but I know handling will be subpar and conservative. Also, IMO the V6 should be the only motor (to keep costs down) + a later hybrid version....don't even bother with the 2.4L.

Last edited by bagwell; 06-29-14 at 12:24 PM.
Old 06-29-14, 01:08 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
..don't even bother with the 2.4L.
[/IMG]

Good thing you are not a product planner. Honda has been offering the 2.4 four cylinder for eons. To not offer it would be stupid.
Old 06-29-14, 01:28 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
While I had my wife's 2011 Accord coupe in for service I drove a new Accord EXL V-6 sedan. I was amazed! The car is much faster than the engine rating would imply. This car is quick! The interior measurements would imply mid-pack interior room, but it is much larger in real life. Plenty of rear seat room, near that of the new ES. The car is really near luxury with nice interiors, great room, and excellent performance. If the new TLX improves on this Accord, Acura will be back.

The dealer had a Touring model with the tires and wheels from the V-6 coupe. Lots of grip an a sporty drive, but noise and rough riding.

Steve
The new V6 Accords I have read about put on dyno's have been shown to be really putting out around 290hp, a nice bump up from the rated 278hp. They can do 0-60 in 5.5 seconds with a automatic which is very impressive, top of class, even better then many sports sedans, and still get decent fuel economy. I don't even see why the new TLX really needs a new 9 speed auto when the Accord's performance is so good unless it will significantly enhance fuel economy and performance.
Old 06-29-14, 01:31 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Good thing you are not a product planner. Honda has been offering the 2.4 four cylinder for eons. To not offer it would be stupid.
I think he is talking about putting the 2.4 in the new TLX which I agree is not a very good idea and kind of pointless though it will be mated to a DSG which should be interesting.
Old 06-29-14, 01:52 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Originally Posted by UDel
I think he is talking about putting the 2.4 in the new TLX which I agree is not a very good idea and kind of pointless though it will be mated to a DSG which should be interesting.
exactly....and where has that 2.4 gotten Acura?

Last edited by bagwell; 07-01-14 at 01:42 PM.
Old 06-29-14, 02:15 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bagwell
Honestly IMO all Honda has to do with the TLX is take the Accord and make it sportier with a new front fascia and tails + a couple more features...I thought the prototype looked great....but I know handling will be subpar and conservative. Also, IMO the V6 should be the only motor (to keep costs down) + a later hybrid version....don't even bother with the 2.4L.

[IM576.jpg[/IMG]
That is a pic of the concept. Here is the vanilla production car clearly going after the ES/Buick crowd. Which is fine.

Perfectly safe interior

Old 06-29-14, 02:49 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by ClassicSC3
You can call the drive amazing until you weigh in the noise and rough riding to the drive experience. I had a 2006 Accord and although I loved the smooth engine, the ride sucked. If it is rough now, it will just get worse as the shock, struts and tires wear out so this is the BEST it will ever be.
The new car rides much better than the 2011 with a lot less road noise. Handling might not be quite as sharp, but it seems to me a good trade. The ride is now smoother than a Camry SE and very close to the Camry XLE. As I said, the one with the 18" wheels from the coupe was much louder and stiffer.
Steve
Old 06-29-14, 05:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by ClassicSC3

Hondas I4s are a few grand over priced and the V6s are about 304 grand over priced when you consider you feel every bump and crack or oblong pavement. This was a 2006 model so I would really have to test drive a 2014 to see if they improved. I bet they did tho but I can only speak for the 2006-2007s.
Unfortunately, the government's CAFE laws are making V6s harder and harder to find in mid-size sedans. I doubt if even the Accord and Camry will offer them much longer.....even on their upmarket trim-levels.

I'm with you, though, on one thing. I also like a higher-power/softer-suspension combination, but most automakers tend to stiffen things up with more power....sometimes even without. Kia doesn't offer a V6 in the Optima, but, until last year, DID offer the EX Turbo model without the stiffer SX suspension. Since then, though, turbos only come in the more stiffly-sprung SX form. I reviewed an EX Turbo a while back and was very impressed with the ride comfort compared to the much stiffer SX. Now, though, you can find EX Turbos used....and there weren't that many of them built.

One interesting prospect, though, is the new Chrysler 200C with the V6, a nice fairly soft suspension, and soft-riding 17" wheels/55-series tires. I recently reviewed one and was impressed with it.....but it is a totally new design, and doesn't have the Accord's previous stellar reliability record to fall back on.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-29-14 at 06:00 PM.
Old 06-29-14, 06:12 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

That car would look 10X better if it had dual chrome exhaust tips..
Old 06-30-14, 06:07 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by yowps3
That car would look 10X better if it had dual chrome exhaust tips..

all photo-s'd of course

Last edited by bagwell; 06-30-14 at 08:51 AM.