Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

In Development? Lexus GS F & GS 300h

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-13, 05:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
i drove gs250 and when i pressed gas up to 4500 rpm nothing happened so i quit thinking that in this car, it is not natural to chase high rpms (i loved the speed of my previous old gs350). It is completely not good enough for GS.

Now with GS300h, you get extra electric 40hp shove anytime you press gas, no need to wait, that will make a big difference in feel, even if in pure 0-60, they might end up being the same... since GS250 isnt that slow in 0-60, but it requires you to launch it at 6k RPM probably :-)
sounds like that will be a mad car on the road with all the engine noise
Old 01-07-13, 05:47 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i drove gs250 and when i pressed gas up to 4500 rpm nothing happened so i quit thinking that in this car, it is not natural to chase high rpms (i loved the speed of my previous old gs350). It is completely not good enough for GS.

Now with GS300h, you get extra electric 40hp shove anytime you press gas, no need to wait, that will make a big difference in feel, even if in pure 0-60, they might end up being the same... since GS250 isnt that slow in 0-60, but it requires you to launch it at 6k RPM probably :-)
You know what's funny? GS250 makes more sense in US than it does in EU. Now if only blind executives could see that.

Yes, GS250 has smaller displacement engine so it's easier on your taxes but it sips a lot of gas for EU consumer standards and when compared to competition with smaller engines it does not even come close to them in either performance or efficiency, well maybe in refinement cause it's a good ol' sixer. Contrary in US that would not be a problem nor would it be considered inefficient car.
Old 01-07-13, 09:19 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
You know what's funny? GS250 makes more sense in US than it does in EU. Now if only blind executives could see that.

Yes, GS250 has smaller displacement engine so it's easier on your taxes but it sips a lot of gas for EU consumer standards and when compared to competition with smaller engines it does not even come close to them in either performance or efficiency, well maybe in refinement cause it's a good ol' sixer. Contrary in US that would not be a problem nor would it be considered inefficient car.
GS 250 for Europe should have been the 2AR-FSE instead of using 4GR-FSE. I'm sure TMC had their reasons for not doing that...most likely because 2AR-FSE was just introduced in the new Crown.

4th Gen GS should be:

GS 300h - Decent power, high mileage.
GS 350 - Good power, good mileage
GS 450h - Great power, great mileage
GS F - High power, decent mileage

Done!
Old 01-07-13, 09:28 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by flipside909
GS 250 for Europe should have been the 2AR-FSE instead of using 4GR-FSE. I'm sure TMC had their reasons for not doing that...most likely because 2AR-FSE was just introduced in the new Crown.

4th Gen GS should be:

Done!
I agree and here is smiley face for nice post.

"I believe our children are the future...teach them well and lead the way.. Show them all the beauty they posses insiiiiiide... Give then a sense... Of pride!"

Sexual chocolate!

Old 01-07-13, 09:45 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

"to make it easier... Let the children's laughter remind us how we used to be...Everybody searching for a hero...People need someone to look up to"

Lexus please expand the GS line with the GS 300h and GS F!!!
Old 01-07-13, 10:06 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

4th Gen GS should be:

Done!

That sounds about right to me.
Old 01-07-13, 11:09 PM
Diemellz
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

4th Gen GS should be:

GS 300h - Decent power, great mileage.
GS 460 - v8 power, decent mileage

Done!
fixed..............
Old 01-07-13, 11:58 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Considering the Infiniti M35h is faster than the Infiniti M56 and how ridiculously fast the Porsche KERS system is, and the fact that hybrid can develop max torque at 0 rpm

Potentially hybrid >> V8
Old 01-08-13, 02:49 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

4th Gen GS should be:

Done!
300h was simply not finished at the time BUT, GS250 will keep selling due to the price - GS300h will be significantly more expensive, so GS250 will be left as entry option for people who dont like hybrids and/or who dont want to pay more.
Old 01-08-13, 03:39 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
sounds like that will be a mad car on the road with all the engine noise
nope, didnt hear anything, just saw rpm gauge racing upwards, but felt and heard nothing else :-).
It was as if the car was held by a rope or something, hehe.
Old 01-08-13, 05:00 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

If they do decide to make the GS300h.... Do you guys think it will be a RWD only, just like its bigger brother 450h?
Old 01-08-13, 06:12 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

300h was simply not finished at the time BUT, GS250 will keep selling due to the price - GS300h will be significantly more expensive, so GS250 will be left as entry option for people who dont like hybrids and/or who dont want to pay more.
Very true...
Old 01-08-13, 06:14 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
If they do decide to make the GS300h.... Do you guys think it will be a RWD only, just like its bigger brother 450h?
Most probably, cos even the RX450h is really only front wheel drive with two electric motors at the back, but no propeller shaft running to the rear wheels, nor a center or rear differential.
Probably because AWD and a hybrid engine is too many parts, hence too much weight, but it is certainly possible to combine a hybrid with AWD...

Last edited by peteharvey; 01-08-13 at 07:43 AM.
Old 01-08-13, 06:28 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, any idea on when we would actually see a GS F?
Old 01-09-13, 03:02 PM
DrKeith
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GS-F Surfaces In Japanese Publication

I didn't see this posted in the forum already. If so, sorry for the duplication:

GS-F Surfaces In Japanese Publication - Is Lexus FINALLY Creating A GS That Can Take A Bite Out Of The M5?

http://www.autospies.com/news/GS-F-S...-The-M5-74130/

-----------------
To many aficionados the GS has been a more of a oxymoron to the Lexus line up.
Good looking and aggressive, but never coming close to stacking up to the hard core Germans in a side by side match. In a nutshell it was an excellent boulevard cruiser but nothing you would take to the track. That is exactly why I steered my 82 year father into one over a BMW 5-Series. At his age comfort overrode pedal to the metal performance and the overall upkeep for the GS would be less.

But what about the rest of us? Well all know Lexus makes a fine vehicle (yeah I just said that), but if you have more testosterone in your blood than the average male the GS simply doesn't have the power to make you happy.

BUT WHAT IF?

What if the fabled 5 liter GS-F was indeed under development? According to one Japanese source below this may be happening NOW!

What if it could compete head to head with a M5? Would the hardcore enthusiast be won over? Weirder things have happened. Look at the IS-F and the LFA. If the LF-CC Concept is indeed the new IS, then I would say you might want to hold off on the next purchase a while to see if the GS-F could be your one guilty pleasure that satisfies both the adrenaline and the wallet.

Quick Reply: In Development? Lexus GS F & GS 300h