Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2013 Fiat 500 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-13, 09:27 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Review: 2013 Fiat 500 Turbo

2013 Fiat 500 Turbo

"Diet Abarth"

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2013-...photo-5889625/

Try as I might, I just can't bring myself to stick to a routine of drinking diet soda. Nevermind the fact that I'm trying to cut soda out of my life altogether – every now and then, I just want the high-octane stuff, and diet simply won't do. If I'm already going to subject myself to the sweeteners and caffeine, I'm going to take the calories that go along with it.

Some people feel the same way about cars (go big or go home!), but I'm not one of them – I often see the merit in less-potent machines that automakers offer. For example, while I simply adored the Mini John Cooper Works GP that I recently tested, I still said I'd rather have a Cooper S Hardtop every day. And while the Ford Focus ST may have been crowned the winner in my hot hatch comparison test from last year, my experience in the Fiesta ST a couple of months ago reminded me yet again that less can indeed be more.

So when Fiat introduced this 500 Turbo – a sort of Diet Abarth – I was prepared for the possibility of similar conclusions. But with the range-topping Abarth proving to be an incredibly delicious concoction, would this tall glass of diet quench my thirst just the same?

Our friends in Europe have been able to buy the 500 Turbo for a few years now... because it's called the Abarth in the Old Country. That's right, the standard European-spec Fiat 500 Abarth is pretty much the same thing that we get in the States with a Turbo badge (or, rather, without any badges). Our Abarth, on the other hand, is better known elsewhere as the 595 Turismo or 595 Competizione.

It should come as no surprise, then, to learn that the 500 Turbo is far closer to the Abarth than it is to the standard 500 when you look at the numbers. Under the hood is the same 1.4-liter MultiAir turbocharged inline four-cylinder engine, tuned here to deliver 135 horsepower at 5,500 rpm and 150 pound-feet of torque from 2,500 to 4,000 rpm. These numbers fall short of the Abarth by 25 hp and 20 lb-ft (assuming you've pressed the Sport button in the Abarth, that is – in standard tune, it produces the exact same 150 lb-ft), but represent increases of 34 hp and 52 lb-ft over the naturally aspirated 500 hatchback. Likewise, on-paper performance puts the Turbo more on the Abarth side of the spectrum. Hitting 60 miles per hour takes 8.1 seconds in the Turbo, compared to 6.9 seconds in the Abarth and nearly ten seconds in the base car.

Visually, the Turbo falls somewhere in the middle, looking like a slightly more steroid-enhanced version of the non-turbo Sport trim. The hatchback's front fascia has been extended by 2.7 inches to accommodate the larger turbocharged engine, and larger air intakes, smoked headlamps and repositioned foglamps are all visual cues to the car's more performance-oriented demeanor. Along the sides, the Sport's 16-inch alloy wheels remain intact, wrapped in 195/45R16 Pirelli Cinturato P7 tires, hiding larger brakes (11.1 inches in front and 9.4 inches out back – an increase of one inch up front, but exactly the same as the standard 500 at the rear. Calipers get red paint, too). Speaking of the rear, the Abarth's dual exhaust has been ditched in favor of a single outlet here on the Turbo, though the more pronounced diffuser remains, as does the Sport's smaller hatch-topping spoiler.

Stepping inside, however, reveals an interior that's very much devoid of Abarth-ness. You don't get the beefier, flat-bottomed steering wheel of the Scorpion, and you don't get the more supportive sport seats with their fixed headrests. Instead, everything is nearly the same as what's offered on the Sport – the only performance cue is the larger five-speed manual shift **** that's found in the most potent of these little Italians. And like the Abarth, the Turbo is only available with this do-it-yourself shifter.

All of my original complaints about the 500 haven't changed here in the Turbo – the seating position is too high (and while this could largely be due to the fact that I'm on the shorter side, I simply cannot find a comfortable driving position), the materials used throughout the cabin are hardly premium, and all of the switchgear is merely a reminder of the fact that the 500 is, essentially, a six-year-old car.

Again, the Turbo uses the same engine as the Abarth, just detuned slightly in terms of horsepower. But because the torque number is the same as the Abarth when it isn't in Sport mode, you don't really notice a huge loss in low-end power for off-the-line acceleration. When I drove the Abarth last year, I basically never took it out of Sport mode, meaning I had the full 170 pound-feet of twist on hand at all times, but here in the Turbo, less grunt at the low end means there's less torque steer to manage, and when the full torque thrust hits, it's not as sudden.

There isn't a huge weight difference between the Turbo and the Abarth, either. The former weighs a sprightly 2,477 pounds, and the latter only adds 35 pounds to that. To boot, both cars have the exact same fuel economy rating – 28 miles per gallon in the city and 34 mpg on the highway.

What you lose in the Turbo model is the sort of hilarious fun that comes with the full-on Scorpion package. Many drivers will likely appreciate the more linear, better-balanced demeanor of the Turbo, but it just doesn't pull on the heart strings the way the Abarth does. That seriously sinister exhaust burble from the Abarth doesn't completely carry over, largely thanks to the single exhaust versus the more powerful car's dual pipes, but the low, grumbly tones are still there. Rev the engine on the Turbo and you can still hear plenty of Abarth aural cues, it just sort of sounds like the soundtrack is being smothered by a large pillow.

Compared to the standard 500, the Turbo's sport-tuned suspension is fitted with larger CV joints that provide a 53-percent improvement in overall torsional strength, meaning the car is better set up to handle the added power of the turbocharged MultiAir engine. On the road, the same bouncy characteristics of the short-wheelbase 500 are still present, but the added oomph is fun. As a daily driver, I can see why folks would appreciate the softer dynamics of the Turbo compared to the Abarth, but from where I sit, it simply feels like a quicker version of the cute little hatch rather than a detuned version of big brother Abarth.

Once again, my complaints with the Turbo are exactly the same as they are in the Abarth. Simply put, the steering feel isn't as direct and go-kart-like as you'd expect in a package this small, and the use of the five-speed manual transmission isn't as engaging as it should be. The action of the clutch pedal is light and linear with a clear engagement point, and the brakes work well with solid feel, but those looking for something to stand toe-to-toe with a Mini Cooper S will be disappointed, much like I was with the Abarth compared to a John Cooper Works (though the Fiat's seriously lower price point softens that blow quite a bit). And then there's the tippy feeling instilled by the aforementioned too-tall seats.

The Turbo model starts at $19,500 – a $900 increase over the Sport – and my tester was packed with optional goodies like the $650 comfort and convenience group (automatic air conditioning, heated front seats, satellite radio) as well as the $1,500 Beats by Dr. Dre audio system (that sounds awesome in such a little car, by the way). All in, that's just $22,350 – $1,800 less than a similarly equipped Abarth. And if you want the extra goodies that really make the Abarth an Abarth (larger 17-inch wheels and sport seats), you're looking at $26,550, or a $4,200 increase over the Turbo I drove.

Those looking for a properly quick Fiat will find the Abarth a charming little package – I love it endlessly, despite its considerable flaws. This softer Turbo model is still a pleasant little thing to drive, but just doesn't get you as emotionally involved in the whole driving process as the sportier, louder, faster, quicker 500.

If I were shopping 500s, the bang-for-the-buck budgeter inside me knows that the Turbo still provides lots of thrills for a cheaper price – like how I know that diet soda can be just as tasty without all those love-handle-inflating calories. But every time I drove the 500 Turbo, I just kept wanting more. And that full-strength Abarth formula was exactly what I craved.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/05/20/2...-turbo-review/
Old 05-20-13, 12:43 PM
Hoovey689

I dunno what it is, but I just don't like these things or anything roughly that size. I need something more substantial hah
Old 05-20-13, 12:45 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I dunno what it is, but I just don't like these things or anything roughly that size. I need something more substantial hah

I'm with you that.
I wouldn't want my kids driving one.
Old 05-20-13, 03:55 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

WOW drop a turbo and it still only makes that pathetic amount of power. No wonder these dont sell. Too expensive, small, not efficient enough, unproven reliability, AND no power. Thats a formula for a HUGE failure for sales
Old 03-03-14, 07:30 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2014MY Fiat 500 Gets Range-Topping Cult Version, 105PS TwinAir Engine [40 Pics]

Click here to view more photos

Fiat has operated styling and technological changes for the 2014 model year of the 500 city car, with the most important additions being a new engine and the top-of-the-range Cult version.

The most powerful variant of the two-cylinder 0.9-liter TwinAir turbocharged petrol engine, producing 105PS (104hp), is available from now on in the Fiat 500. Equipped with this engine, the city car accelerates from 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) in 10 seconds and reaches a top speed of 188 km/h (117 mph). Combined fuel consumption is 4.2 l/100 km (56 mpg US), with CO2 emissions rated at 99 g/km.

Mated to a six-speed manual gearbox, the new 105PS TwinAir engine is the most powerful engine in the 500 lineup, adding to the 95PS 1.3 MultiJet II, 69PS 1.2, 85PS 0.9 TwinAir Turbo and 69PS 1.2 dual-fuel.

The Fiat 500 also gets a new trim level for the 2014 model year, the Cult. Available in saloon or cabrio configurations, the top-of-the-range Fiat 500 Cult features a roof with one part fixed glass and the other glossy black paintwork.

Door mirror covers are either chrome or glossy black, while the characteristic front ‘whiskers’ and tailgate handle, in addition to the glossy black surround for the rear light clusters and the new 16-inch alloy wheels feature a chrome finish. On the inside, the highlights are the new leather seats (available in black, tobacco or red leather) and the dashboard painted the same color as the body.

Standard equipment includes an instrument panel with 7-inch TFT display, automatic climate control, rear parking sensors, fixed glass roof with sun blind, leather seats, leather steering wheel with Blue&MeTM controls and Dualdrive electric power steering.

Besides the Fiat 500 Cult, the rest of the lineup gets three new body colors (Lattementa Green, Three-layer White and Italia Blue), three new alloy wheels (15- or 16-inch) and new interiors in fabric or leather, with specific combinations for each version. There’s also a new instrument panel with 7-inch TFT display developed in collaboration with Magneti Marelli.

The entire Fiat 500 MY 2014 range will be in showrooms starting from the second quarter of 2014. The world premiere of the updated models will take place at the Geneva Motor Show.
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/03/201...ping-cult.html
Old 03-03-14, 10:07 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Contrary to currently presented opinions.

I love these things!!

Old 03-03-14, 11:09 AM
Hoovey689

Fiat 500 Cult
Because the 500 has a Cult following