Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

C&D Lightning Lap 2013 results

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-13, 05:22 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Default C&D Lightning Lap 2013 results

Full List by Times

Ferrari 458 - 2.49.9
Lexus LFA - 2.55.1
Chevy Camaro ZL1 - 2.57.5
Merc C63 Black Series - 2.58.0
Porsche 911 S - 2.58.9
Ford Shelby GT500 - 3.00.6
Chevy Camaro SS 1LE - 3.01.5
Jaguar XKR-S - 3.02.1
Porsche Boxster S - 3.04.2
Audi RS5 - 3.04.3
BMW M6 - 3.04.7
BMW M5 - 3.05.2
Lexus IS-F - 3.05.4 (from last years test for reference)
Audi S6 - 3.09.8
BMW 335i sedan - 3.13.2
Hyundai Genesis 3.8 R - 3.13.9
Dodge Charger Pursuit - 3.17.8
Subaru BRZ - 3.18.6
Ford Focus St - 3.21.4
Chevy Caprice PPV - 3.23.0
Fiat 500 Abarth - 3.27.3
Old 01-01-13, 06:26 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Awesome job to Lexus and the LFA. What a wonderful feat. Only behind the awesome 458 from Ferrari. I have to wonder if the LFA had two more cogs or a DCT if it would perform better than it's 6-speed sequential. Either way, now bring on an LFA II

I also want to note that the Mclaren MP4-12C is not on this list and sometimes beats out the 458 in comparo tests, so it is possible that it could also beat the LFA.
Old 01-02-13, 08:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I also want to note that the Mclaren MP4-12C is not on this list
Neither are the Nissan Skyline GT-R or Cadillac CTS-V, both known to do killer lap-times.
Old 01-02-13, 09:49 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Awesome job to Lexus and the LFA. What a wonderful feat. Only behind the awesome 458 from Ferrari. I have to wonder if the LFA had two more cogs or a DCT if it would perform better than it's 6-speed sequential. Either way, now bring on an LFA II

I also want to note that the Mclaren MP4-12C is not on this list and sometimes beats out the 458 in comparo tests, so it is possible that it could also beat the LFA.
more aggressive tires would probably do most improvement...
Old 01-02-13, 12:52 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Neither are the Nissan Skyline GT-R or Cadillac CTS-V, both known to do killer lap-times.

or ZR1 or Z06
Old 01-02-13, 01:04 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
or ZR1 or Z06
Why would they be?
Old 01-02-13, 05:07 PM
Ap1_Alan
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting list of cars. Although the LFA only lost to the 458, none of the other cars are really in the same class.
Old 01-02-13, 05:33 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only two seconds ahead of the Camaro lets you know just what tires will do for a car.
Old 01-02-13, 05:43 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

The old ACR Viper still beats everything except the Mosler MT900S, and it beats them all for a lot less money. It's almost 10 seconds quicker than the LFA. I could have a few Vipers for the price of the Ferrari or the LFA.

I guess I'm just not that impressed by the exotics when it gets down to pure lap times and they're beaten soundly by a Dodge.
Old 01-02-13, 07:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I could have a few Vipers for the price of the Ferrari or the LFA.
True, but that doesn't mean a Viper is cheap. They can easily run over 100K...especially the racing versions.

I guess I'm just not that impressed by the exotics when it gets down to pure lap times and they're beaten soundly by a Dodge.
I share your view here, at least to an extent. Though the Viper's steering/suspension may not have the same sophistication as that of a typical exotic, it is still far better then the Vipers of 20 years ago, which essentially drove like low-slung trucks. And there is no denying the Viper's sheer torque, which will handily dust off some competitors on the straightaway...in fact, the massive torque level, for many driving-modes, makes gears and shifting almost redundant.
Old 01-02-13, 07:19 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

The old ACR Viper still beats everything except the Mosler MT900S, and it beats them all for a lot less money. It's almost 10 seconds quicker than the LFA. I could have a few Vipers for the price of the Ferrari or the LFA.

True, but that doesn't mean a Viper is cheap. They can easily run over 100K...especially the racing versions.

I share your view here, at least to an extent. Though the Viper's steering/suspension may not have the same sophistication as that of a typical exotic, it is still far better then the Vipers of 20 years ago, which essentially drove like low-slung trucks. And there is no denying the Viper's sheer torque, which will handily dust off some competitors on the straightaway...in fact, the massive torque level, for many driving-modes, makes gears and shifting almost redundant.
Sure a Viper, ZR1, GT-R are bargain super cars, but part of the Stigma of buying a $300,000 Ferrari, Lambo etc.. is the exclusivity not to mention some better materials and a little more luxury. You pay for the badge. Whether it be bargain or more exotic in price, they all have pedigree (look at the Viper, Vette, and GT-R/Skyline heritage), but Exotics like Lambo and Ferrari have a thoroughbred pedigree.

Also, the way you phrase "A Dodge" is a bit condescending. Are you saying Dodge, Chevy, and Ford can't make good cars? Only a Tier 1 or Exotic make can? Just because of their badges or history doesn't mean they make bad cars. Most every Make has improved significantly in the reliability department because they all know they can't produce "crap" anymore and still be in business. Consumerism has shown that we enjoy good cars full of safety, tech, efficiency, frugality, and power. /endrant
Old 01-02-13, 08:09 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Why would they be?
Because the entry of any of them could significantly change the ranking.
Old 01-02-13, 09:53 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Yes, I am saying Dodge can't make good cars. I grew up in the 60's and 70's with my dad building Chevy and Dodge 1/4 and 1/2 mile dirt track racers. Workmanship on any Chrysler product is just pathetic, and always has been. The Chevys were not a lot better, but still definitely better, and if it weren't for the 426 Hemi, no one would know Chrysler ever produced a performance product.

Case in point - the Viper that kicked everyone's butt at VIR needs a $10k oil pan right off the showroom floor if you actually plan to track the car...pretty sad commentary for your ultimate performance vehicle.
Old 01-02-13, 10:28 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh, that ACR? You mean the one with borderline-legal racing tires?

Please, spare me the humor. Throw such sticky tires on an LFA and it will easily out-handle, out-corner, and out-lap the ACR.

And how about apples to apples shall we? If you're going to compare a highly modified production Viper variant, then compare it to the TOP LFA production variant, which is the Nurburgring Edition.

Throw some super sticky tires on an LFA Nurburgring Edition, and you'd be looking at a new lap record at the 'Ring for a closed-wheel, closed-roof street legal production car.

The LFA Nurburgring Edition in totally stock form by the way still holds the lap record at the Nurburgring for a street legal production car running regular street tires.

And if we put aside the discussion of performance, the LFA blows away the ACR Viper in almost every other way objectively, it's not even funny. To start, the LFA gets the full Lexus warranty, which is way more warranty than the ACR Viper gets.
Old 01-03-13, 02:59 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Why the hate on sequentials? All pro racing vehicles use them (ie F1).

Quick Reply: C&D Lightning Lap 2013 results