Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

C&D Lightning Lap 2013 results

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-13, 10:44 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Sport Cups are DOT legal. End of discussion.

Saying the LFA holds the record is just plain wrong. Pagani and Radical completely PWN the LFA at the 'Ring. So does the ACR.

Saying all the LFA needs is PSCs and it will beat all comers at VIR is also just wrong. Mosler's cars and the Viper ACR leave it so far behind there's no point in discussing it.

There's a saying in racing - when the green flag drops the BS stops. So let's stop the BS. The LFA isn't as fast as the competition even in full race trim. Is it a great car? Sure, but it's far from a world beater.
The LFA held the record momentarily. Period. The acr beats it the next day, mind you the car is no longer sold at dealerships. The cars you are mentioning are either not street legal or are go-karts like a radical. The LfA is still on par or faster than the competition as its 7:14 run still is among the beat times and the "ring" is the standard all others are judged.

Sticker tires help and the ACR has super sticky cups. Now I'm not going to argue "what if" but I am curious what a LFA would run on semi-slicks.

Geez what did the LFA do to people?!?!

Old 01-03-13, 10:47 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
the shift time on the lfa is on the slow side for today's high end sports car. i am comparing it to say the aventador. i wouldn't really compare it to dct. there are good things about the sequential tranny that the dct can't provide to the driver.
Ok, sounds like pros and cons with either transmission then
Old 01-03-13, 10:48 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Geez what did the LFA do to people?!?!
It made people make excuses for what should have been THE DEFINITIVE world beater. With all the time and technology put into it, it should not be second to Ferrari, Mosler, or Dodge in a head to head get around the track fastest comparison. It pains me to see it fare as poorly as it did, and if anyone is a Lexus fan, you of all people know I am.
Old 01-04-13, 12:59 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Ok, sounds like pros and cons with either transmission then
yes, most definitely. people can argue all day long which one is better, but imho it just comes down to choices. of course faster shift time translates to better performance, but in this specific case, it wouldn't bring the lfa very close to the 458
Old 01-04-13, 06:53 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Guys going to ask to cease all the personal commentary immediately.

It's absolutely OK to be a uber-Lexus fan here and it's also OK to post constructive criticism of Lexus. Toyota and Lexus are NOT perfect (by their own admission, not just observation) and if they don't hear what enthusiasts and owner's concerns and thoughts are then they lose their most valuable channel for improvement ideas. Let's knock off the "woe is me, somebody posted something negative again" running commentary. If you disagree with another member's comments, respond with compelling facts why (politely and maturely) but don't expect everyone to always align with your perspective.
Old 01-04-13, 07:25 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sure a Viper, ZR1, GT-R are bargain super cars, but part of the Stigma of buying a $300,000 Ferrari, Lambo etc.. is the exclusivity not to mention some better materials and a little more luxury. You pay for the badge. Whether it be bargain or more exotic in price, they all have pedigree (look at the Viper, Vette, and GT-R/Skyline heritage), but Exotics like Lambo and Ferrari have a thoroughbred pedigree.
"Pedigree" and "exclusivity" are two of the stupidest reasons people buy crazy expensive cars (or crazy expensive anything, when it comes down to it).

No matter what you want, you run into the law of diminishing returns well before you even hit $100K.

Last edited by RocketGuy3; 01-04-13 at 07:31 PM.
Old 01-04-13, 07:57 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
"Pedigree" and "exclusivity" are two of the stupidest reasons people buy crazy expensive cars (or crazy expensive anything, when it comes down to it).

No matter what you want, you run into the law of diminishing returns well before you even hit $100K.

But its not stupid to the people that buy them. Should we all drive turbo swapped Civics and claim "oh its faster and its $$$$$$ cheaper"? To some people that is an admirable point and to others they could care less.

The Porsche 918 is a $750,000 super exotic that ran a 7:14 at the Ring, slower than the LFA by the slimmest of margins. The internetz and "enthusiasts" have not had threads all over the universe explaining how overpriced it is how slow it is, yadda yadda. There has barely been a peep about it.

Me personally I could care less, the car seems to be brilliant. But again the LFA seems to have to have to fight tooth and nail for credit even as the vehicle has been showered with praise by the automotive press.

In this test the 458 continues to prove that it is a "bargain" and with the LFA two of the best driving cars around.

Old 01-04-13, 08:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

the LFA is spectacular, and like a ferrari, it is also unique, and not without quirks and limitations. but that doesn't diminish the achievement.

about its overall performance, while the lfa is stupid fast and great handling/brakes, i think lexus still must have at some point said 'ok, enough' especially since they wouldn't want to compromise quality/reliability. i wouldn't trust a lambo to be anything like as reliable for example. and i certainly couldn't care less if some tarted up camaro is 'almost as fast'. that really isn't the point.
Old 01-04-13, 09:14 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Blueprint
But its not stupid to the people that buy them. Should we all drive turbo swapped Civics and claim "oh its faster and its $$$$$$ cheaper"? To some people that is an admirable point and to others they could care less.

The Porsche 918 is a $750,000 super exotic that ran a 7:14 at the Ring, slower than the LFA by the slimmest of margins. The internetz and "enthusiasts" have not had threads all over the universe explaining how overpriced it is how slow it is, yadda yadda. There has barely been a peep about it.

Me personally I could care less, the car seems to be brilliant. But again the LFA seems to have to have to fight tooth and nail for credit even as the vehicle has been showered with praise by the automotive press.

In this test the 458 continues to prove that it is a "bargain" and with the LFA two of the best driving cars around.
I think both the LFA and the Porsche are "meh" for that reason. I think they're cool from an engineering and/or car enthusiast standpoint, but they're honestly not cars I would ever buy, no matter how much money I had.

I don't know why you bring up a turbo Civic, though. I wasn't even thinking about mods. Factory performance >>> aftermarket performance, IMO, but even stock for stock, you can get 95% (to even 100%) of the performance by almost any objective measure for 10-20% of the price with some of these exotics. Sure, an LFA or a Porsche may have better interiors or build quality, but it's not like you're going to be driving either very much, let alone taking your family, friends, or clients on any long trips. And I'm sorry, but the desire for "exclusivity" is a shallow reason to buy them IMO.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
and i certainly couldn't care less if some tarted up camaro is 'almost as fast'. that really isn't the point.
You're right -- there IS no point, so far as I can tell. It's just another exercise in excess and overindulgence.

Last edited by RocketGuy3; 01-04-13 at 09:22 PM.
Old 01-04-13, 09:18 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

maybe so, but people do it. They care about status and the badge. And if they can afford those kind of cars they probably don't care about diminishing returns lol!

But yeah a smart enthusiast would just buy a GT-R you can easily mod to uber amounts of power and smash everything from 458's and Aventador's and Veyron's.

Of course part of the reason I'd (not saying I'd get one but more as an example or generality) a 458, is for the driving experience. One thing about a Ferrari or Porsche is the driving spirit. Sure they are technology laden but still some of the most pure road going cars built to follow their origins tread marks
Old 01-04-13, 09:25 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

maybe so, but people do it. They care about status and the badge. And if they can afford those kind of cars they probably don't care about diminishing returns lol!

But yeah a smart enthusiast would just buy a GT-R you can easily mod to uber amounts of power and smash everything from 458's and Aventador's and Veyron's.
Yeah, this I understand and agree with. There are a lot of people with more money than sense out there who buy things for IMO the wrong reasons. I'm not trying to say they're bad people or anything, but...

... I'll just step off my soapbox/high horse now before I say too much.
Old 01-04-13, 10:53 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some interesting information from the LFA forum which raises serious doubts regarding the validity and credibility of the lap times in this test:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/7683147-post10.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/7684821-post17.html

Last edited by TRDFantasy; 01-05-13 at 02:14 AM.
Old 01-05-13, 12:56 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

you are talking about your IS as well, because to a lot of people it's a pretty darn expensive car

i personally think being logical is one of the stupidest reasons in choosing or shopping a luxury / expensive car
Old 01-05-13, 01:59 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
It pains me to see it fare as poorly as it did, and if anyone is a Lexus fan, you of all people know I am.
I never knew LFA was so horrible, thank you for telling us!
Old 01-05-13, 05:42 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i personally think being logical is one of the stupidest reasons in choosing or shopping a luxury / expensive car
LOL... that was good!

Quick Reply: C&D Lightning Lap 2013 results