Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

C&D Lightning Lap 2013 results

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-13, 09:35 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by speedflex
Because the entry of any of them could significantly change the ranking.
Gotcha, but that's not really how the point of lightning lap. But I see what you're saying.
Old 01-03-13, 09:47 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

The GTR in 2012 got 2:53 in the lightning lap. Different days but wow...impressive car for $100k
Old 01-03-13, 10:19 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430
Why the hate on sequentials? All pro racing vehicles use them (ie F1).
Perhaps it's not as refined as the competition's
Old 01-03-13, 03:03 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Perhaps it's not as refined as the competition's
I'm a little confused as how refinement would equate to a better time? Not dissing you, just curious about the statement...
Old 01-03-13, 05:45 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430
I'm a little confused as how refinement would equate to a better time? Not dissing you, just curious about the statement...
I'm no expert nor pretend to be. Just seems from some of the earlier reviews I've read, the transmission was a sore spot, not in the sense of the R8 and its R-tronic, but just some other ones shift quicker and are smoother (less jerky) through the gears. My guess is refinement would help with reaction time especially during power delivery. Gearing could also play a big role I suppose
Old 01-03-13, 06:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

the shift time on the lfa is on the slow side for today's high end sports car. i am comparing it to say the aventador. i wouldn't really compare it to dct. there are good things about the sequential tranny that the dct can't provide to the driver.
Old 01-03-13, 08:03 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like less weight and the 'feel' that gears are changing. but .15 second shifts aren't 'slow' by any means. The LFA didn't get those cut slick tires that cars like the 458 has. But that's fine. Not every car is going to the track.
Old 01-03-13, 08:09 PM
LexFather

The 458 is just a beast... Glad to see the LFA included!

IS F as quick as M5!! And the R spec time is not impressive at all

Old 01-03-13, 09:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Yes, I am saying Dodge can't make good cars. I grew up in the 60's and 70's with my dad building Chevy and Dodge 1/4 and 1/2 mile dirt track racers. Workmanship on any Chrysler product is just pathetic, and always has been. The Chevys were not a lot better, but still definitely better, and if it weren't for the 426 Hemi, no one would know Chrysler ever produced a performance product.
I grew up in the same 60s muscle-car age, with the same Detroit cars, and I agree that the workmanship on some Chrysler products, starting about 1968 or so, was not only pathetic, but beyond pathetic (but AMC would shortly thereafter, in the early 70s, replace Chrysler as Detroit's prime quality-control bad example).

But, in the early-to-mid 60s, Chrysler did build durable cars (they dropped very quickly in quality from 1966-1969), and their Slant-Six, most of the V8s, and the RWD Torqueflite automatic were always durable.

The 60s-vintage 426 Hemi, BTW, wasn't Chrysler's only performance engine of the period. The 413 Wedge of the 50s and early 60s, and the later 340 four-barrel, 383 four-barrel, and 440 four barrel and "Six-Pack" triple-deuce carbs all packed quite a punch, though the 426 dual-quad (which required a driver-certification for purchase) was arguably the fastest of the lot. Chrysler, for a time, for liability reasons, wouldn't sell the 426 dual-quad out of the showroom unless one presented written evidence of some training in high-performance driving.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-03-13 at 09:29 PM.
Old 01-03-13, 09:53 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Oh, that ACR? You mean the one with borderline-legal racing tires?

Please, spare me the humor. Throw such sticky tires on an LFA and it will easily out-handle, out-corner, and out-lap the ACR.

And how about apples to apples shall we? If you're going to compare a highly modified production Viper variant, then compare it to the TOP LFA production variant, which is the Nurburgring Edition.

Throw some super sticky tires on an LFA Nurburgring Edition, and you'd be looking at a new lap record at the 'Ring for a closed-wheel, closed-roof street legal production car.

The LFA Nurburgring Edition in totally stock form by the way still holds the lap record at the Nurburgring for a street legal production car running regular street tires.

And if we put aside the discussion of performance, the LFA blows away the ACR Viper in almost every other way objectively, it's not even funny. To start, the LFA gets the full Lexus warranty, which is way more warranty than the ACR Viper gets.
Please. 10 seconds is an ETERNITY on a less than three mile lap. NO, the LFA will NOT beat the Viper, and unfortunately, the Viper ACR is still quicker around Nordschliefe. Then we have the Paganis and the Radicals (street legal in Europe) very soundly trouncing the LFA at under 7 minutes on the Nordschliefe.

Put the fanboi hat down for a minute, do a little research, and you'll see the LFA isn't the fastest thing out there by quite a margin. It's a great car but it's not a world beater by any means.

And if you mean you could put a set of Pilot Sport Cups on the LFA and it would beat everything, you're quite mistaken. They're not worth 10 seconds a lap at VIR. The ACR tires are Pilot Sport Cups, not slicks. Yes, I have extreme insider info on the Viper....
Old 01-03-13, 10:13 PM
LexFather

Please. 10 seconds is an ETERNITY on a less than three mile lap. NO, the LFA will NOT beat the Viper, and unfortunately, the Viper ACR is still quicker around Nordschliefe. Then we have the Paganis and the Radicals (street legal in Europe) very soundly trouncing the LFA at under 7 minutes on the Nordschliefe.

Put the fanboi hat down for a minute, do a little research, and you'll see the LFA isn't the fastest thing out there by quite a margin. It's a great car but it's not a world beater by any means.

And if you mean you could put a set of Pilot Sport Cups on the LFA and it would beat everything, you're quite mistaken. They're not worth 10 seconds a lap at VIR. The ACR tires are Pilot Sport Cups, not slicks. Yes, I have extreme insider info on the Viper....
Sport Cups are barely street legal tires. It has nothing with him being a fanboi and not sure why he is chastised in multiple threads for being a Lexus fan on a Lexus forum.

Of course there is a quicker car out there and mentioning them does not take any merit away from the LfA, a car people *****ed about from day one for being overpriced until it broke the Ring record. Then all of the sudden the "ring" was a stupid measuring stick overnight.

The Acr is a blistering fast car and not LFA competition at all. Not the first time a cheaper car was faster.

Now excuse my grammar as I'm posting from the phone

Old 01-03-13, 10:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by TF109B
Like less weight and the 'feel' that gears are changing. but .15 second shifts aren't 'slow' by any means. The LFA didn't get those cut slick tires that cars like the 458 has. But that's fine. Not every car is going to the track.
150ms is the ring car. regular lfa is 200ms. and for today's supercars? yes, 200ms isn't really that fast at all, there isn't much of an argument on that. you have to compare cars in the same segment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shift_time

you want to see super fast sequential shift in production car? look at the aventador, 50ms.

before anyone gets too sensitive, i love the lfa a lot. it's easily one of the best i have driven, as a driver's car. even more so than lamborghini. but that doesn't make it perfect
Old 01-03-13, 10:33 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Sport Cups are DOT legal. End of discussion.

Saying the LFA holds the record is just plain wrong. Pagani and Radical completely PWN the LFA at the 'Ring. So does the ACR.

Saying all the LFA needs is PSCs and it will beat all comers at VIR is also just wrong. Mosler's cars and the Viper ACR leave it so far behind there's no point in discussing it.

There's a saying in racing - when the green flag drops the BS stops. So let's stop the BS. The LFA isn't as fast as the competition even in full race trim. Is it a great car? Sure, but it's far from a world beater.
Old 01-03-13, 10:33 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not going to argue this. Clearly you have no concept of an apples to apples comparison, when you're mentioning quasi-legal cars only legal in certain countries, and also mentioning road-illegal race cars. The fact that you mentioned Radical (again) and the Zonda R's time shows me you can't be objective in this discussion.

And no, the world does not revolve around VIR lap times. That is but one track. I was specifically talking about Nurburgring lap times.

My previous point that excluding performance, the LFA obliterates the Viper in almost EVERY other object way ... still stands true. Refinement, reliability, quality, luxury, you name it.

I'm done here, thanks. Oh and maybe you should tone down the "anti-fanboy" hate there. Just to remind you, we're on a Lexus forum here, with yes, lots of LEXUS fans.
Old 01-03-13, 10:43 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Lap times are apples to apples, and the discussion is about LIGHTNING LAP, not luxury, refinement, or anything else unrelated to getting around VIR more quickly than all other comers. Without regard for manufacturer or price, the watch does not lie. How do you know the LFA they used for the 'Ring test was US legal? How about let's bet a lot of money it's not. Ever look at the weight specs on the LFA? I have. They vary pretty dramatically with the US versions being heavier than my '93 Supra. Pretty sad for all the technology and carbon fiber they put in the car. Other market versions are competitive with Corvettes for weight.

So at the end of the day - when it comes to lap times at VIR, the original subject of the thread - the reader must take unrelated elements into account if the LFA is to be the "winner". The simple fact remains, Ferrari, Mosler and Viper have posted better times on the same track. Apples to apples.

Quick Reply: C&D Lightning Lap 2013 results