Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What would YOU do??? Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-12, 10:17 AM
Joeitaly
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would YOU do??? Please help!

I am in the market for a used lexus. My first thought was a 06 or 07 GS 350. I found a CPO with the exact specs I like. Dark gray exterior with light interior and the dark silver/gray accents. Navi is in there too - back up camera etc etc.. Has 70k miles and 2007 model, and they are asking 25k at dealer. Thoughts? Fair price? Here is the link...

http://www.lexusoftampabay.com/Vehic...-FL/1893911003

Then, there is the whole LS430 situation... Because of this fantastic forum and all the educated members sharing great info, I now kinda want the LS. Found a dark gray one with light gray interior and the cherry wood accents. Does not have Navi. It is certified like the GS is. 2006 is the model. Price is around 22k, which was lowered temporarily (not sure how much) through Jan 2nd. Here is link to this one...

http://www.lexusoftampabay.com/Vehic...-FL/1894921013

The only drawbacks I can think of are that the LS does not have Navi and I am not a huge fan of the cherry wood thing... But, would you look past all that b/c of the overall quality of the LS? I have another car that goes fast, so that is not my major concern. I am 29 years old - finance type and want a solid reliable luxury daily driver. A couple friends told me that the LS is too much of an "old man's car" for what thats worth... I do not agree and personally could care less about other peoples opinions. However, members here I would like to know your opinions, so any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated. I look forward to officially joining the lex fam!!!

Cheers,

Joe
Old 12-28-12, 10:20 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Personally, I would go for the GS. The LS is certainly more reliable, but I'm a tech guy and even though the GS navi isn't the best, it does have navi which I think Lexus's with it are more aesthetically pleasing interior wise
Old 12-28-12, 10:24 AM
Ap1_Alan
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Go with the GS, but the price seems a little high.
Old 12-28-12, 10:28 AM
Joeitaly
Driver School Candidate

What price should it be at? Maybe I can get him down then? Did they add extra money b/c of the CPO aspect?
Old 12-28-12, 10:28 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd go with the LS.Bulletproof model.Smooth ride and better quality,IMO.
The GS350 had rattle issues.
Old 12-28-12, 10:29 AM
Joeitaly
Driver School Candidate

Hoovey - If I did find an LS with navi around same price would you still recommend the GS?
Old 12-28-12, 10:30 AM
Joeitaly
Driver School Candidate

Joeb - that was my concern - and I only have these concerns b/c of my obsession with reading this forum the last few days... You would go with LS even without Navi? at this price too?
Old 12-28-12, 10:35 AM
Ap1_Alan
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeitaly
What price should it be at? Maybe I can get him down then? Did they add extra money b/c of the CPO aspect?
Skipped right over that, i didn't notice it was CPO. That does add a little to the price

2007's with similar mileage are listed for around 20-22k in my area. Obviously prices vary by region, but it shouldn't be too far off.

My insurance company just paid me $25k for my totaled 2006 GS with 75k miles, so maybe I'm underestimating their value.

I had zero rattle issues with my GS btw.
Old 12-28-12, 10:38 AM
Joeitaly
Driver School Candidate

So is this something I should jump on then? Or wait it out to find a better deal? I love that combo on this GS - not sure how rare that is to find... What would make this a screaming buy? If I could get them down to 24K for everything (tax/tag/title) out the door? Also, I plan on paying cash for the car... Does this help in negotiating at all?
Old 12-28-12, 10:40 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

So is this something I should jump on then? Or wait it out to find a better deal? I love that combo on this GS - not sure how rare that is to find... What would make this a screaming buy? If I could get them down to 24K for everything (tax/tag/title) out the door? Also, I plan on paying cash for the car... Does this help in negotiating at all?
You should easily be able to pick that GS at least 10% lower easily with haggling.
A dealer would rather finance because they make money on that too.A small mount usually but something.
Old 12-28-12, 10:44 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ap1_Alan

I had zero rattle issues with my GS btw.

The GS had a dash rattle issue for a long time.I had an '08.
Now in FL,there may be no issue due to warm weather.
Old 12-28-12, 10:46 AM
Joeitaly
Driver School Candidate

So, if I can get that GS for 22.5K go ahead and pull the trigger? What about the rattling issues that people complain about? Long term this car will last another 5 years without too many other problems? The CPO is good for three years or 100k miles I believe... Thank you again for your help.
Old 12-28-12, 10:48 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

So, if I can get that GS for 22.5K go ahead and pull the trigger? What about the rattling issues that people complain about? Long term this car will last another 5 years without too many other problems? The CPO is good for three years or 100k miles I believe... Thank you again for your help.

Drive it.If you don't have any rattles,you're fine.
$22.5K is a decent price to me.I'd go lower but if you're happy at that number,buy it.

Do some reading here before you buy.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...eneration-153/

Last edited by Joeb427; 12-28-12 at 10:53 AM.
Old 12-28-12, 10:52 AM
Joeitaly
Driver School Candidate

I will test drive it as soon as I get back to Tampa. I am happy at that number if you all think it is good. Otherwise, I will wait it out to find another deal... I do not want to get hosed. All the other fees will add a bunch to overall out the door amount. What would your price be that would not allow you to walk away from it?
Old 12-28-12, 10:58 AM
Joeitaly
Driver School Candidate

Also, the GS350 rear-wheel-drive comes with a 3.5-liter V6 engine and a six-speed sequential-shift automatic transmission. Was this updated for 06 from the 05 model? I can look at earlier years if not. Additionally, is the CPO really worth it for the piece of mind or are pretty much all Lexus GS and LS solid? Should I get greedy and go for a private seller and pick one up for 15-17K with 90K or 100K miles on it to save 10K plus??

Quick Reply: What would YOU do??? Please help!