Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Google exec proves his identity on car forum in most hilarious way possible

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-12, 06:35 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Google exec proves his identity on car forum in most hilarious way possible

I read through part of the orginal thread. Its pretty funny!

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/google-e...214208480.html

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...reynor-20.html

Benjamin Sloss Treynor is the Vice President of Engineering at Google. He's smart. He's rich. And he loves cars.

He's also very active on car forums, where he has garnered equal amounts of reverence for and doubt of his wealth. So when a forum member asked him to prove he owns a Raptor, a 458 Italia, and a McLaren 12C Spyder by taking pictures of them with pieces of bread, Treynor was more than happy to oblige.

We were told the Treynor has been called into question in the past, and has responded by posting a picture of his kid holding a sign that has the name of the SVT Performance forum where he posts under the username Treynor. Ford_racer's call for proof by putting bread in the photos was more of a joke than serious.

hankfully, Treynor has a sense of humor about himself and complied to the request... and then some.

On his Ford Raptor, he out a nice hearty loaf of New York Rye Bread.

On the Ferrari 458, he went Italian bread to complement the Italian leather.

And finally, on the McLaren 12C Spyder, nothing goes with an English car like English crumpets.

This is so much win in so many ways. First, Treynor has awesome taste in cars. Secondly, he obviously has a sense of humor about himself because he's posting pictures of bread on supercars. More evidence of that humor is available in his Google+ profile picture.

Treynor is also the same Google exec who won the auction for a Ferrari 599XX Evo that was being sold to benefit victims of the Italian earthquake.

Old 12-27-12, 07:33 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

He's cool.
Old 12-27-12, 09:07 AM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very nice. Its great to see wealthy people who aren't to stuck up to have a good laugh.
Old 12-27-12, 09:27 AM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That deserves a raise of a glass, well played sir, well played.
Old 12-27-12, 09:31 AM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Huh, interesting. Kind of surprised that a mere VP can afford this kind of lifestyle. My uncle was a former Senior VP (of research) at Hewlett Packard (now CTO of ABB) and only pulled in around $1M/year - not enough to afford a car like a 458 Italia, let alone two comparable cars (Italia + McLaren).

I can't imagine Treynor pulling in more than $600k-$700k/year, bonuses and stock options included.

Anyways, funny story nonetheless.
Old 12-27-12, 09:34 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

that's just flippin' awesome.
Old 12-27-12, 09:50 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by syzygy
Huh, interesting. Kind of surprised that a mere VP can afford this kind of lifestyle. My uncle was a former Senior VP (of research) at Hewlett Packard (now CTO of ABB) and only pulled in around $1M/year - not enough to afford a car like a 458 Italia, let alone two comparable cars (Italia + McLaren).

I can't imagine Treynor pulling in more than $600k-$700k/year, bonuses and stock options included.

600 -700 K PLUS bonus and stock options as well as possibly stock based comp. Is the norm in most growth tech companies for C level execs.
Old 12-27-12, 10:09 AM
Yanz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by syzygy

lol, pretty funny story. can't wait to see a post like that on clublexus for proof, except a bit more ridiculous. like that chapelle's show episode:
"PROSECUTOR: Mr. Chappelle, what would it take to convince you that R. Kelly is guilty?

DAVE CHAPPELLE: Okay, I'd have to see a video of him singing "Pee On You," two forms of government ID, a police officer there to verify the whole thing, four or five of my buddies and Neal taking notes, and R. Kelly's grandma to confirm his identity.'

On the other point, hard to say with these tech guys on compensation. If this guy was active around dot com bubble, who knows how much he could have made before google. Also, he could be holding stock from pre-IPO days (depending on how long he's been there, not sure), could be worth a lot. Very hard to guess b/c of stock options/grants. Like how govt was trying to make wall street executive compensation tied to stock in 09, that really backfired for most of those big banks.
Old 12-27-12, 10:37 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I love it !!!!!!!!!
Old 12-27-12, 12:30 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

crumpets!!!! what a baller, well played
Old 12-27-12, 02:53 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

What a cool guy!
Old 12-27-12, 03:28 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Very cool story :-)
Old 12-27-12, 04:06 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 583 Likes on 402 Posts

Crumpets are awesome
Old 12-27-12, 08:09 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Yanz
lol, pretty funny story. can't wait to see a post like that on clublexus for proof, except a bit more ridiculous. like that chapelle's show episode:
"PROSECUTOR: Mr. Chappelle, what would it take to convince you that R. Kelly is guilty?

DAVE CHAPPELLE: Okay, I'd have to see a video of him singing "Pee On You," two forms of government ID, a police officer there to verify the whole thing, four or five of my buddies and Neal taking notes, and R. Kelly's grandma to confirm his identity.'

On the other point, hard to say with these tech guys on compensation. If this guy was active around dot com bubble, who knows how much he could have made before google. Also, he could be holding stock from pre-IPO days (depending on how long he's been there, not sure), could be worth a lot. Very hard to guess b/c of stock options/grants. Like how govt was trying to make wall street executive compensation tied to stock in 09, that really backfired for most of those big banks.
Yeah good point on the stock options. They're really the wild card in the equation.

And, now that I think of it, HP's stock has been floundering over the years. It's what - 1/20 the value of Google stock right now? Even VP level stock options at a place like Google might be enough to push him over the edge.
Old 12-28-12, 02:42 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

haha this is great