Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Car and Driver gets a deeper look at the 2014 Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-13, 10:35 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is that ORANGE lighting in the interior? Gahhhh
Old 01-10-13, 10:57 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gilberjj
Who actually buys these cars? It's fun to read about, but that is a TON of money for a car that's just ugly.... Plus I hate automatics. I don't care how fast they are, it's not all about stats. I doubt this car would be as engaging and fun to drive as an old m3 or m5.

A lot of people.

To the douchiest douche to the classiest grandmother.
Old 01-10-13, 12:57 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 01-10-13, 01:08 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
doesn't appeal to me much. front is soft and round, rear is square and hard lines.

power is ridiculous... sub 3.5....
It is actually appealing to me, I like the front and rear end, but the side is really blahhhh..........same thing as E350

The 585 hp + 4WD traction is tasty..........an old man EVO

But I'll wait for the 4WD S63, or that TMG 650 thing. The future is bright I am tired of getting smoked in my 430 Lexi I want to hang with a R35 in my luxury boat

Last edited by BNR34; 01-10-13 at 01:11 PM.
Old 01-10-13, 01:16 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by gilberjj
Who actually buys these cars? It's fun to read about, but that is a TON of money for a car that's just ugly.... Plus I hate automatics. I don't care how fast they are, it's not all about stats. I doubt this car would be as engaging and fun to drive as an old m3 or m5.
People like me buy these cars. Now I am old and graduated from the rice rocket GTR, I want a daily driver in complete comfort with some decent image, but still don't want to lose to a GTR at the stop light.

We want these cars to commute in, is not for engaging fun. That's what the weekend sports car is for.
Old 01-10-13, 01:25 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
It is actually appealing to me, I like the front and rear end, but the side is really blahhhh..........same thing as E350

The 585 hp + 4WD traction is tasty..........an old man EVO

But I'll wait for the 4WD S63, or that TMG 650 thing. The future is bright I am tired of getting smoked in my 430 Lexi I want to hang with a R35 in my luxury boat
as much as i don't like the current front end, i think it's a better match to the rear
Old 01-10-13, 03:33 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

as much as i don't like the current front end, i think it's a better match to the rear
I agreed the current front end is a better match. I just can't stand the current E63 looking 98% identical to a E350 Sport. Call me a poser, but if I am paying twice as much for a car, I want it to look different then the thousands of E350 driven by soccer moms. Looks like MB heard my complain.

Old 01-10-13, 05:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

I agreed the current front end is a better match. I just can't stand the current E63 looking 98% identical to a E350 Sport. Call me a poser, but if I am paying twice as much for a car, I want it to look different then the thousands of E350 driven by soccer moms. Looks like MB heard my complain.
i see your point in a more different front bumper design between the regular and AMG models
Old 01-10-13, 06:06 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Is that ORANGE lighting in the interior? Gahhhh
thats not new, they have been using orange lighting for a while now but that picture seems to be enhanced so that the ambient lighting is brighter than reality
Old 01-10-13, 06:14 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

i see your point in a more different front bumper design between the regular and AMG models
That's what they did this time, you can spot this front bumper from a mile away.......like the good old days.
Old 01-10-13, 06:19 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

That's what they did this time, you can spot this front bumper from a mile away.......like the good old days.
Like the good ole days? The AMG version of the E-class has always had an incredibly discreet bumper. This is the biggest departure from that yet.
Old 01-10-13, 06:32 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Like the good ole days? The AMG version of the E-class has always had an incredibly discreet bumper. This is the biggest departure from that yet.
I wasn't just talking about the bumper, in the days of the E210 and early E211 E55, the entire car got a very different feel and look to them from the lesser version, where you can spot them from a mile away without looking.

As times goes by, the lesser version with the AMG package got more and more aggressive, on the W212, the E550 sport and E63 is pretty much identical looking, is so lame.

This apply to most other cars too. The E30 M3 was a completely different car then the 325i. Now the E90 M3 looks 90% identical to a 335i M-Sport. The ZR1.........., the 1st ZR-1 looks really different, now you can't tell it from a Grand Sport.......etc.

Last edited by BNR34; 01-10-13 at 06:36 PM.
Old 01-10-13, 06:48 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Yeah, sounds like you're hating a bit too much. Read the review below. It mimics just about any other review of the current E63- it's an absolute riot to drive and in fact very entertaining. I can tell you're not paying attention because the E63 doesn't even have a gearshift on the column or low quality leather. The tech things you mentioned will be addressed in the facelift. The dash will be available in leather, even though I'd hardly call the plastics low-rent in the current model. To each their own of course, but give the car a fair shake.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test
It still has a 7" nav screen.

Either they have it right and Lexus is idiotic with its 12" screen, or they are still selling outdated product. I bet the latter. Until I see a HUD and a decent nav, it doesn't matter what is under the hood.

Also all wheel drive is interesting if you live in the arctic or you have weak driving skills, but as an accomplished driver in Florida. I would much rather have the more dynamic experience of rear wheel drive even if that means I lose a couple of tenths zero to sixty. The fun isn't at the traffic lights, the fun is in the corners. And yes the plastics are low rent in the current model. It even has a plastic dash when everyone else has leather.

BTW I think I am pretty objective. I am currently looking for my 2014 daily driver which I will pick up in this fall. But I know it won't be a Mercedes. Maybe another M5, and M6GC, or an updated Panny if they add some Audi tech to it.

Last edited by *Batman*; 01-10-13 at 06:52 PM.
Old 01-10-13, 07:54 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I wasn't just talking about the bumper, in the days of the E210 and early E211 E55, the entire car got a very different feel and look to them from the lesser version, where you can spot them from a mile away without looking.

As times goes by, the lesser version with the AMG package got more and more aggressive, on the W212, the E550 sport and E63 is pretty much identical looking, is so lame..
The bumper on the late-model E430 sport and E55 were almost identical. This was not a new thing.

W210 E55

W210 E430 Sport

Originally Posted by *Batman*
It still has a 7" nav screen.

Either they have it right and Lexus is idiotic with its 12" screen, or they are still selling outdated product. I bet the latter. Until I see a HUD and a decent nav, it doesn't matter what is under the hood.

Also all wheel drive is interesting if you live in the arctic or you have weak driving skills, but as an accomplished driver in Florida. I would much rather have the more dynamic experience of rear wheel drive even if that means I lose a couple of tenths zero to sixty. The fun isn't at the traffic lights, the fun is in the corners. And yes the plastics are low rent in the current model. It even has a plastic dash when everyone else has leather.

BTW I think I am pretty objective. I am currently looking for my 2014 daily driver which I will pick up in this fall. But I know it won't be a Mercedes. Maybe another M5, and M6GC, or an updated Panny if they add some Audi tech to it.
I will certainly give you the HUD/7" nav screen comments, but we'll have to agree to disagree on the rest. I don't think you can call yourself a pretty objective person then turn around and call the the E63 a poor product, especially with that misinformation in your first post. I'd also venture to say the rear-biased AWD system will not sap out the driving fun, though that still remains to be seen. The competition has plastic dashes too, but with a leather option. Once again I'll say MB was late to that party, but it is available with the facelift model. I find it comical you say you don't care what's under the hood, even though that is a major engineering feat in itself worthy of credit. But whatever, I'd choose a Panamera turbo if I had the money for one .
Old 01-10-13, 08:38 PM
xuserx04
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

E63 with almost 600 HP wow. I'm on the look out for next gen lambo to top veyron in HP.

Quick Reply: Car and Driver gets a deeper look at the 2014 Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG