Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Comparo: Lexus vs. Hyundai. Who’s the sportier sport sedan?

Old 12-22-12, 12:27 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
The 300 is dimensionally within inches of the 7 series. If offers 6 cylinder and 8 cylinder versions just like the 7 series. It's RWD just like the 7 series. It also has luxury pretensions. But the two are not directly comparable, and neither are the Genesis and GS.
Thanks for getting my point. There's two different views one of which is the apples and oranges comparison (partly thanks to branding), and there's a generality ie someone says "car" it can apply to anything with 4 wheels.

Because this is Lexus vs Hyundai people jump at the gun to compare them based on badge, quality etc.. The title is "Who's the sportier sedan" which is a generality and therefore must be based on the vehicles merits of performance such as handling power etc.. So you can see why I've been trying to give the most objective opinion and not the old apples and oranges shtick.

That said, I gave the nod to the GS because it has the better chassis, suspension, balance of performance etc.. not because it's luxury or quality made it a better "sport sedan"
Old 12-22-12, 05:55 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I feel the Genesis is in the ES 350 class.The Genesis is even in the same price range except for the R-Spec which is $3K more than a loaded 300h.
Old 12-22-12, 08:53 AM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel like the upcoming Genesis will be much more inline with this class of cars seeing as how they are actually trying to make it a sport sedan for the next gen benchmarking the 5-series and A6.

Even with the V8 in the R-spec I expected the GS350 F-sport which is best in class in terms of dynamics to have the upper hand in every performance category minus acceleration.

However good showing by Hyundai seeing as how this is the last year for this current and very dated version.

Also they said half a second quicker. MT clocked the GS350 F-sport at 5.4 sec and 4.8 for the Genesis R-spec so I guess that's still right.

Last edited by Lexuslvr91; 12-22-12 at 09:01 AM.
Old 12-22-12, 10:26 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

After seeing my co workers 2010 Genesis sedan the ''lexus" quality type of refinement is there its just seeing that price at almost 55k for a Hyundai still surprises me.. Wouldn't the Equos be better comparison?
Old 12-23-12, 11:18 AM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tmf2004
After seeing my co workers 2010 Genesis sedan the ''lexus" quality type of refinement is there its just seeing that price at almost 55k for a Hyundai still surprises me.. Wouldn't the Equos be better comparison?
That would be an even worst comparison. The Equus is a fullsize/limo land yacht while the GS is a driver focused midsize luxury sport sedan.
Old 12-23-12, 11:26 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexuslvr91
That would be an even worst comparison. The Equus is a fullsize/limo land yacht while the GS is a driver focused midsize luxury sport sedan.
Would the LS460 be a better comparison?
Old 01-13-13, 04:57 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blueprint
It seems what the author is saying is that the R-spec has an over 120hp advantage with 2 more cylinders but is only 1/2 a sec faster. The gap should be larger he is alluding to.
I also agree 0.5-0.7 seconds is significant, especially when you consider that the 550 runs 4.8s. Real world times apparently run 4.8 (MT) - 5.1 (C&D) compared to the 5.5 (MT) - 5.6 (C&D) time for the GS.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...0_r_spec_test/

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...an-test-review

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...rt_first_test/

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...rt-test-review

The article the OP posted is actually a Canadian one and the price is a little misleading. Hyundai doesn't even charge you MSRP out of the box...lol. Not sure why but go to Hyundai's Canadian website and they will discount without even negotiating. Currently the '13 R-specs are discounted roughly $5K. So their true base price is $48 449.

The Lexus GS 350 AWD is a $69K vehicle up here fully loaded like the Genesis.

I'd hope it has better overall refinement and quality for $21K more.
Old 01-13-13, 05:10 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
I also agree 0.5-0.7 seconds is significant, especially when you consider that the 550 runs 4.8s. Real world times apparently run 4.8 (MT) - 5.1 (C&D) compared to the 5.5 (MT) - 5.6 (C&D) time for the GS.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...0_r_spec_test/

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...an-test-review

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...rt_first_test/

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...rt-test-review

The article the OP posted is actually a Canadian one and the price is a little misleading. Hyundai doesn't even charge you MSRP out of the box...lol. Not sure why but go to Hyundai's Canadian website and they will discount without even negotiating. Currently the '13 R-specs are discounted roughly $5K. So their true base price is $48 449.

The Lexus GS 350 AWD is a $69K vehicle up here fully loaded like the Genesis.

I'd hope it has better overall refinement and quality for $21K more.
BMW 5 series is even more expensive and handles worse... is it worth spending +25k more over Hyundai to buy similar BMW? You cant buy base 4cly 5 series for that price.
Old 01-13-13, 05:16 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Lexus definitely wins in the refinement department.

Just like the LFA, which is always criticized for being low in HP and straight line speed for its price, it is fantastically superior in driver control, feeling, refinement, performance, and experience.

Lexus is definitely on the right track, great business decisions, the right ones to get their sales numbers up, and in a few short years, be back on top once again.
Old 01-13-13, 05:23 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf
BMW 5 series is even more expensive and handles worse... is it worth spending +25k more over Hyundai to buy similar BMW? You cant buy base 4cly 5 series for that price.
Agreed.

Full load 528i is roughly $71K. 535i averages about $80K and goes up to $91K for the GT. The 550 averages around $90K and goes up to $95K. Of course, BMW is willing to discount, but they are still significantly more expensive than the GS and light years away from the Genesis.
Old 01-14-13, 05:55 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Apple to orange. Pointless comparison.

Cheap car with big engine vs. refined car with small engine

Although I have to say the drivetrain in the 5.0L R is very refined, only the rest of the car is cheap.
Old 01-14-13, 06:18 PM
805LS430UL
Driver School Candidate

Talking

Originally Posted by tmf2004
Would the LS460 be a better comparison?
I just test drove the Equus for kicks yesterday and it's definitely more of an LS type vehicle. The driver gets massaging seats in the Equos (unlike my LS 430 UL where the passengers get it and I don't; I need to let my wife drive and chaffeur me around!). In case the driver gets too relaxed though, there is a lane drifting safety mechanism (I think the LS460s have this too) that tightens the belt and beeps at you.

The Genesis & Equus look to be achieving what Lexus did in the late 80's / early 90's - bring in 90% of the luxury at ~70-80% of the price of the established luxury brands. They try to calm reliability fears with long warranties. The salesman told me that the Koreans love to outperform their Japanese neighbors. All in all, the new Hyundai MIGHT be a better over-all value than a new Lexus, but I don't think it can even approach the value of well-kept low mileage pre-owned LS 430.

My guess is that just as there were rich people that couldn't imagine buying a "glorified Toyota" over a MB, BMW, or Jag in years past, there will be proud Lexus loyalists that will similarly dismiss the high end Hyundais. I suspect that there will be a lot less of that though as I would profile the Lexus owner as more value/quality oriented than caught up with prestige/branding. I'll play the wait and see card to determine how these new Genesis / Equos vehicles measure up over the next 10 years for quality/reliability. They are out of my preferred price range for vehicle expense as is.

Last edited by 805LS430UL; 01-14-13 at 06:21 PM.
Old 01-14-13, 06:37 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
BMW 5 series is even more expensive...
always laugh at stuff like this because i bet the vast majority of 5 series are leased, so the vehicle cost actually isn't very relevant... only what it depreciates in the lease term / residual.
Old 01-14-13, 09:55 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by 805LS430UL
I just test drove the Equus for kicks yesterday and it's definitely more of an LS type vehicle. The driver gets massaging seats in the Equos (unlike my LS 430 UL where the passengers get it and I don't; I need to let my wife drive and chaffeur me around!). In case the driver gets too relaxed though, there is a lane drifting safety mechanism (I think the LS460s have this too) that tightens the belt and beeps at you.

The Genesis & Equus look to be achieving what Lexus did in the late 80's / early 90's - bring in 90% of the luxury at ~70-80% of the price of the established luxury brands. They try to calm reliability fears with long warranties. The salesman told me that the Koreans love to outperform their Japanese neighbors. All in all, the new Hyundai MIGHT be a better over-all value than a new Lexus, but I don't think it can even approach the value of well-kept low mileage pre-owned LS 430.

My guess is that just as there were rich people that couldn't imagine buying a "glorified Toyota" over a MB, BMW, or Jag in years past, there will be proud Lexus loyalists that will similarly dismiss the high end Hyundais. I suspect that there will be a lot less of that though as I would profile the Lexus owner as more value/quality oriented than caught up with prestige/branding. I'll play the wait and see card to determine how these new Genesis / Equos vehicles measure up over the next 10 years for quality/reliability. They are out of my preferred price range for vehicle expense as is.
Not really. When Lexus debuted they were completely changing luxury and the automobile and customer service. It was a giant wake up call. The cars led in many areas. Contrarily the Hyundai's don't lead in anything, they are nice but are not better than the current cars. They are cheaper and inoffensive.

Neither the Genesis or Equus came close to the impact of the original LS 400. Not even close. What they did was elevate the Hyundai brand.

Old 01-14-13, 10:36 PM
fly2low
Driver

Just curious, how many of you have actually driven both for sufficient time?

I need to drop by at a local Hyundai dealer for scientific purposes .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Comparo: Lexus vs. Hyundai. Who’s the sportier sport sedan?