Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Car and Driver Magazine offers conflicting advice on the new VW Golf.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-12, 05:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Car and Driver Magazine offers conflicting advice on the new VW Golf.

I have a lot of respect for Car and Driver magazine (especially since Brock Yates left, who I could not stomach), although I admit the magazine has gone downhill some since long-timers Csaba Csere and Patrick Bedard, who were, IMO both good auto-journalists, also left. I read the publication regularly each month (along with Road and Track and Top Gear), and enjoy it. But one thing in the new January issue was quite unusual. On page 49 of the issue, they list the current 2013 Golf as one of the annual Ten Best....which obviously means they wholeheartedly endorse its purchase. Then, elsewhere in the very same issue, on page 88, in the "Drivelines" /"First-Drives" section, writer Jeff Sabatini writes about driving the new version (now on sale in Europe) that will replace the existing Golf as the new American-market 2015 model late next year. Jeff starts the article by actually telling readers NOT to buy the current 2013 American-market Golf (which was just named on page 49 as one of the Ten Best), but to (absolutely) wait for the upcoming 2015 model to reach American shores next year. He closes the article by telling older Golf owners to, if necessary, put money into their old cars with new tires, parts, etc....if necessary to keep them running until the new model is here. He is just so raptured with the new upcoming model that he considers the current 2013 Ten-Best" model, by comparison, a waste of money.

C&D references the article on its web-site, but doesn't provide a link, so I couldn't post the specific article (I read the paper copy), but here is the title's summary:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...le-of-contents

2015 Volkswagen Golf TDI Diesel
Don’t buy the Golf. Buy this Golf.
(I would have loved to post this entire article, but C&D and R&T are annoying in that respect.....both magazines post some of the articles from their latest issues on-line, but not others, instead refering you to the magazine itself).

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-17-12 at 05:46 PM.
Old 12-18-12, 09:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

And here's some info on the upcoming Golf R:

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...py-photos-news
Old 12-18-12, 03:17 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

New Golf is one of the best yet. Of course with the debut of the new Focus/Focus ST, VW has no choice but to step up their game. This includes beefing up the GTI/R which can't hardly run with a ST