Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What do you think of Infiniti's branding? (Q & QX names)

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-12, 12:07 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So the image they built with the G sedans and coupes, and the FX "bioinc cheetah" is being flushed away. Great idea. Their Q sedans were/are a bust and they decide to do a naming scheme after that... ok. I guess they are really at the end of their wits at this point. New nomenclature with the same products is very poor concept.

They should have brought out a new flagship with the nomenclature of Q90. THen redesign the M and bring that out as the Q70 and so on. Just renaming the same car is just dumb. The SUV side of inifinit has always been a complete mess, so I'm not even going to address that one.
Old 12-20-12, 12:13 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by T0ked
So the image they built with the G sedans and coupes, and the FX "bioinc cheetah" is being flushed away. Great idea. Their Q sedans were/are a bust and they decide to do a naming scheme after that... ok. I guess they are really at the end of their wits at this point. New nomenclature with the same products is very poor concept.

They should have brought out a new flagship with the nomenclature of Q90. THen redesign the M and bring that out as the Q70 and so on. Just renaming the same car is just dumb. The SUV side of inifinit has always been a complete mess, so I'm not even going to address that one.
Totally agreed. They should make a good Q first if they really insist on pulling the stunt of renaming everything the Q. Otherwise they're just throwing what good brand equities they currently have away for ones that were never well received. Simply a dumb move.
Old 12-20-12, 01:03 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by *Batman*
The Infiniti president's response is also pretty dumb.

There were many ways to solve the problem he is describing. One is to create a separate branding scheme for performance flagship like BMW has with the M5 or Lexus has with the ISF. The ISF is not an IS500 is it? He didn't mention the problem of how to label non performance forced inducion/hybrid plants, but again he could take a leaf out of BMW, Lexus and Mercedes book and not tie hybrid/turbo numbering to engine size but to engine size equivalence. So in this case a M35h could be a M50h to reflect its performance relative to an M56 and an M37.

There were many ways to solve the issue he is raising, but their solution was probably the worst way. He could equally have just moved to acura or jaguar style model and have letters without engine sizing designation.
Totally agreed too. The prospect of a GT-R-powered M sedan is exciting but ditching the entire portfolio just over this reason is silly. They could've stuck to their existing names by calling it the M IPL like the IS-F and M5, or the M55t to reflect its performance potential and its position relative to the lesser M models.

Last edited by ydooby; 12-20-12 at 01:14 PM.
Old 12-20-12, 03:46 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

LOL. What a total joke. At first I thought this literally was a joke, but that official statement from Infiniti seals it.

Infiniti fans now have no right to bash Lexus. Infiniti will soon become a laughing stock brand, right down there with Acura.

I totally agree that they have cemented themselves at Tier 2/Tier 3 luxury with this move. Combine that with their alienating, polarizing wavy styling of their new models and you have a recipe for failure.
Old 12-21-12, 07:55 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

This is indeed a head-scratcher. How well it works remains to be seem but I think what this is is one of the first tangible examples of Johan de Nysschen's influence. The naming structure they are going to is very similar to that of Audi who's sedans all have the "A" moniker while the Crossovers are designated with "Q".

Probably de Nysschen knows that the only way Infiniti will advance and grow is with dramatic, top-bottom revisions like this. Basically deconstructing the way they work and rebuilding them.
Old 12-21-12, 08:36 AM
Stormwind
Racer

That's a great idea.
Attached Thumbnails What do you think of Infiniti's branding? (Q & QX names)-steve-ballmer-2-3.jpg  
Old 12-21-12, 08:43 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't mind the model letters.With the exception of maybe the G coupe,I've just never been a Infiniti fan.
Old 12-22-12, 11:33 AM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I give it a big fat "facepalm". What the quack.
Old 12-23-12, 10:27 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by speedflex
The naming structure they are going to is very similar to that of Audi who's sedans all have the "A" moniker while the Crossovers are designated with "Q".
Yes, very similar to Audi. In my opinion, Audi has the best naming structure by far.
Old 12-23-12, 10:54 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The "luxury" idea of letters over names was already lazy and stupid to begin with becaise i don't think people can equate letters and numbers easily. Say Camry, Corvette, Mustang, or Accord to anyone and instantly a car in that make comes to mind. Q7, RS8, RSX, S550,LS460... what gives? Now, throw in just a Q and some crqzy mish mash of nomenclature of numbers and BLAH... FAIL!!!! Did George Foreman just take over at Nissan branding? I'm going to name all my cars Q.
Old 12-23-12, 02:00 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Prestige and history also contribute to a luxury makers identity. When Lexus first arrived to the scene the LS 400 made waves. The ES came a long way and is the highest selling Lexus sedan, the RX is the highest selling Lexus vehicle of all time.

When the Infiniti Q45 first arrived hell no one knew what it was in their commercial then Inifiniti discontinued the Q45, I30, J30, M30, G20, G25, QX4...now that is a long list of discontinued models...also Infiniti changed the QX56 from the Nissan Armada to the Nissan Patrol...

Last edited by Trexus; 12-23-12 at 03:54 PM.
Old 12-23-12, 06:32 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
The "luxury" idea of letters over names was already lazy and stupid to begin with becaise i don't think people can equate letters and numbers easily. Say Camry, Corvette, Mustang, or Accord to anyone and instantly a car in that make comes to mind. Q7, RS8, RSX, S550,LS460... what gives? Now, throw in just a Q and some crqzy mish mash of nomenclature of numbers and BLAH... FAIL!!!! Did George Foreman just take over at Nissan branding? I'm going to name all my cars Q.
Branding with the luxury cars is essential that there are no names. The only exceptions are the Escalade and Navigator which are so well known that changing the name would be fatal to the model.

Branding is very important as Lexus wants youu to buy "into" the brand where as Toyota wants you to buy into the "model"

For example, saying to someone "I drive a Lexus" is totally different that saying "I drive a Toyota"...

Branding is essential to the luxury car makers.
Old 12-23-12, 10:07 PM
BornDriver
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Either their big head full of dip ****, or their top manage level got competitor infiltration
Old 12-24-12, 02:07 AM
Mr2KiEu
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Horrible horrible idea!!! Did Infiniti's CEO do any market research before he came up with this naming scheme? What are they going to name their new halo sport car than? Q99? lol, As of right now its known as the Essence which I think is a GREAT name. Please don't change that.
Old 12-24-12, 07:43 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BornDriver
Either their big head full of dip ****, or their top manage level got competitor infiltration
This.

Quick Reply: What do you think of Infiniti's branding? (Q & QX names)