Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The Tesla discussion

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-08, 11:59 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i dont know what the big deal is about electric cars, sure they put out less emissions than a reg car but when it comes time to dump the car, those batteries are way more harmful to the environment... so while yes it is an alternative to fossil fuels lets not kid ourselves by saying its more 'green'...
Old 07-08-08, 03:26 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
i dont know what the big deal is about electric cars, sure they put out less emissions than a reg car but when it comes time to dump the car, those batteries are way more harmful to the environment... so while yes it is an alternative to fossil fuels lets not kid ourselves by saying its more 'green'...
also, since most places dont have a 'green' way of producing electricity, it's really just a way of trading one type of emission for another

forgive my ignorance for just a moment, but aren't most of you guys on coal or something similar? (we have hydro dams in bc)
Old 07-09-08, 01:13 AM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
Its convenient. Rather than going to gas station, you drive home, park car, remove work stuff from car, plug car in, close garage, go inside, open beer. And when you wake up in the morning its all recharge. Think of it like cell phone. I'd get one not for emissions but for convenience.
Old 07-09-08, 12:55 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a really nice looking sporty sedan. I'm waiting to see a full-size luxury concept..
Old 03-26-09, 12:25 PM
nn432100
Lead Lap

unofficial pictures

http://www.engadget.com/photos/tesla...eiled/1454579/
Old 03-26-09, 12:29 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by f=ma
Its convenient. Rather than going to gas station, you drive home, park car, remove work stuff from car, plug car in, close garage, go inside, open beer. And when you wake up in the morning its all recharge. Think of it like cell phone. I'd get one not for emissions but for convenience.
Yes, gas stations are a waste of time. I keep a compressor in the garage so I can top off my tires to minimize visits to gas stations.
Old 03-26-09, 12:31 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Faymester
also, since most places dont have a 'green' way of producing electricity, it's really just a way of trading one type of emission for another

forgive my ignorance for just a moment, but aren't most of you guys on coal or something similar? (we have hydro dams in bc)
No significant production via coal in CA. Natural gas, hydro, wind, nuclear generates most.
Old 03-26-09, 01:25 PM
ren495
Pole Position

OK thats it. This is my next car. Buh bye Lexus. 225 all electric miles, no dirty stinky middle east oil...for 50K...and it looks like that?...wow...

And they said it has a 440v capability. Meaning if you install the system it can probably charge the batteries full in a couple hours. Maybe even less.

Now all I want is for MIT to develop those nano solar panels with 40+% efficiency and anyone could live running 100% on green energy.

C'mon MIT get it done! and nano ultracapasitors that charge in 5 minutes and last 100 years to replace the lithium ion batteries would be great too!
Old 03-26-09, 01:27 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 574 Likes on 394 Posts

Better get on the waiting list then...
Old 03-26-09, 01:36 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

seems like the new design trend is a wavy character line.

e.g infiniti Essence, fisker, this.....

pretty good bargain at $50k. depending on performance.

i'd wait till the tech matures fully though.

Last edited by dunnojack; 03-26-09 at 01:41 PM.
Old 03-26-09, 04:38 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Really not that bad.

Tesla unveils its all-electric, seven-seat sedan

HAWTHORNE, Calif. (AP) — Tesla Motors gave the world a glimpse of what it hopes will be the family friendly car of the future.

CEO Elon Musk unveiled a prototype of the company's all-electric, 5-door sedan Thursday at the futuristic SpaceX rocket factory where it was designed.

Tesla hopes to start manufacturing and selling the car in 2011.

The car will carry as many as seven people — five adults and two children — as far as 300 miles on a single battery charge, Musk said.

The sticker price of the Model S will be $49,900 after a $7,500 federal rebate for buying an electric vehicle.

The prototype was displayed nearly a year after Tesla brought its sleek, pricey, two-seat Roadster sports car to the market.

Both models can be charged by plugging into wall sockets.

Tesla called the less flashy Model S the world's first "mass-produced, highway-capable electric vehicle ... with the versatility and practicality of a conventional car."

The fledgling Silicon Valley carmaker named for Nikola Tesla, the pioneer in developing practical, efficient uses for electricity, has yet to make money.

It was founded in 2003 with $40 million in venture capital from investors like Google co-founders Larry Page and Sergey Brin.

Last month, Musk said Tesla had secured another $40 million in financing from investors, putting it on track to become profitable by midyear.

Tesla is still awaiting a response to its application for a $350 million loan from the U.S. Department of Energy, which the company said is necessary for Model S production to go forward.

The Model S prototype was unveiled at Space Exploration Technologies' futuristic Rocket Factory, an enterprise founded by Musk to develop and manufacture low-cost space vehicles.

Tesla's first all-electric car, the Roadster, has so far been a hit with the critics, with the high-end buyers' guide The Robb Report declaring it "the literal and figurative buzz of the industry."

But with a base price of $109,000, the sports car is largely a niche model for the wealthy.

"The first thing to note is that the Roadster is not a car for most people, or even your typical Porsche enthusiast. It is a car for technology buffs who relish being on the cutting edge," Associated Press Auto Writer Dan Strumpf reported earlier this month after a test drive.

Tesla said it has delivered about 250 Roadsters and has a waiting list of about 1,000 customers who have placed deposits.

Wait time for delivery is currently about six months, said Jeremy Snyder, general manager for Tesla Motors, Southern California.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...n_N.htm?csp=34
Attached Thumbnails The Tesla discussion-teslax-topper-medium.jpg  
Old 03-26-09, 06:07 PM
nn432100
Lead Lap

Pictures of the HUGE haptic touchscreen

http://i.gizmodo.com/5185966/first-l...ch-lcd-console

I think im in love with this car!
Old 03-26-09, 06:35 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

more pics

More pics at source
http://jalopnik.com/5185844/tesla-mo...treets-in-2011
Old 03-26-09, 08:08 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

the pics I have seen the lines look similar to the new jag ( if I am thinking of the right car)
Old 03-27-09, 12:20 AM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Gorgeous vehicle, cool tech. Amazing how it makes even the XF look old and dated.

Quick Reply: The Tesla discussion