Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The Tesla discussion

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-08, 02:00 PM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tesla announces the Model S

Our favorite Terminator (and Governor of California) Arnold Schwarzenegger has just helped Tesla Motors make an announcement that's probably sending chills through traditional automaker's boardrooms. The company has just introduced a fully-electric, five passenger sports sedan dubbed the Model S, which will be selling for $60,000, and will manage 225 miles on a full charge. The carmaker says it will produce the vehicles in a brand new manufacturing plant it's opening in Northern California. We're on the ground at the announcement right now -- no pictures or release date have surfaced yet, but you'll know more as soon as we do.
(Courtesy of Engadget)
Old 06-30-08, 02:01 PM
JessePS

362 km on a full charge is pretty awesome for a 5 person sports car, plus the $60k is pretty nice also.

Not sure how well it would function in the snow though.
Old 06-30-08, 03:11 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

I thought Cali was doing the rolling blackout thing again this summer? This promises to be wonderful.
Old 06-30-08, 03:33 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I thought Cali was doing the rolling blackout thing again this summer? This promises to be wonderful.
Where did you hear that? We haven't had any indications in NoCal of any rolling blackouts. I haven't heard a word about any blockouts in SoCal either so I think your source may be out of touch.
Old 06-30-08, 03:35 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Right here on CL. Member said he was at a party at a "mansion" and they had a rolling blackout for 2 hours...
Old 06-30-08, 03:45 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Right here on CL. Member said he was at a party at a "mansion" and they had a rolling blackout for 2 hours...
Might want to get a better source than right here. I don't know where he was but there's no rolling blackouts being talked about. Not to defend anyone but Gray Davis spent like a drunken sailor trying to get the state out of its problems with energy when Enron took advantage of the deregulation to steal billions but the contracts he put in place have put Cali in good shape at least as far as availability is concerned. Combine that with the offshoring that started years ago, server farms were a major draw, and we have at least two gas fired generation plants up here that aren't close to capacity.
Old 06-30-08, 04:06 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

GM says they can only do less than 40 miles on a single charge on their Volt?

so whats this amazing technology that Tesla has that the big manufacturers dont have?
Old 06-30-08, 05:33 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

I think Tesla should work on making actual deliveries of fully functional roadsters before they go making claims about sports sedans. Their roadster is basically a Lotus Elise with an electric powertrain and they have still yet to deliver a 100% functional version, I wouldn't put too much faith in an all-new sports sedan with incredible range coming out any time soon
Old 06-30-08, 05:54 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Tesla is in a race, and litigation, with their ex consultant and now competitor Fisker. The Fisker four seater is supposed to be out next year for around 80K. Both of them may be just trying to out vapor ware each other.
Old 07-01-08, 12:25 AM
yusef
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RON430
Where did you hear that? We haven't had any indications in NoCal of any rolling blackouts. I haven't heard a word about any blockouts in SoCal either so I think your source may be out of touch.
yup no blackouts here in socal, havent heard of any as well.

oh and i cant wait to see pictures of this Model S
Old 07-01-08, 03:00 AM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Can't wait to see one of these rolling around the streets of Cali... The Tesla roadster too.
Old 07-06-08, 01:14 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by thetopdog
I think Tesla should work on making actual deliveries of fully functional roadsters before they go making claims about sports sedans. Their roadster is basically a Lotus Elise with an electric powertrain and they have still yet to deliver a 100% functional version, I wouldn't put too much faith in an all-new sports sedan with incredible range coming out any time soon
Tesla has already made several deliveries of fully functioning roadsters about three months ago.
Old 07-06-08, 05:29 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by herbvdh
Tesla has already made several deliveries of fully functioning roadsters about three months ago.
Haven't all the roadsters delivered so far been delivered with 1 speed trannies? I seem to remember reading that they still haven't solved the tranny problems
Old 07-08-08, 07:11 AM
JessePS

There has been a prototype spotted sort of. They are using a Dodge Magnum, guess it be similar dimensions.
Old 07-08-08, 11:47 AM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by thetopdog
Haven't all the roadsters delivered so far been delivered with 1 speed trannies? I seem to remember reading that they still haven't solved the tranny problems
The production model is supposed to be 2 speed though right?

Quick Reply: The Tesla discussion