Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The Tesla discussion

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-11, 08:26 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
Even if it's not vaporware, will they be able to sell more than the handful of Roadsters they sell in the US per month? It's kind of embarrassing Toyota is involved with the company at all, even if only on paper.
huh? i dont think you have any idea what you are talking about.
Old 06-06-11, 10:03 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vladi
You'll see Karmas being delievered this August. Model S is coming no worries.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11106033...elayed---again

It was supposed to come out in 2009 and 2010. The latest release says Q3 2011. Let's just hope that this new delay would be the last.

I do hope I'm wrong though because the Fisker does have promise as a solid product.
Old 06-06-11, 11:47 AM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am wondering the same as well, although there hasn't any more info on it that I can find.

Can't wait until TG test one of those sedans and find out what's wrong with it and most importantly...it's true mileage range.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
tesla is an epic failure. wonder how their lawsuit against top gear is going?
Old 06-06-11, 01:18 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
huh? i dont think you have any idea what you are talking about.
Tesla doesn't publish US-specific sales numbers, but based on year over year demand, Tesla would have been pretty lucky to sell more than 10 or so units per month here in the first quarter of this year, and that's probably generous given a significant chunk of new revenue is primarily being drawn from areas they have recently expanded their stores into (Japan, Italy, etc.).

What I think is most alarming about Tesla is that, as of the most recent quarter, nearly 1/3 of their revenue comes directly from other companies in the form of pet projects - like their deal with Toyota - and not from Roadster sales. Meanwhile, they are burning through cash faster than ever and taking taxpayer money faster than ever. Tesla in their SEC filings even admit that their business relationship with Toyota is unique and that investors should not expect that Tesla can build revenue through similar business deals with other companies, or even that their current relationship with Toyota can be maintained.

There's still an outside chance that Tesla's new vehicle will be vaporware, but that's hardly the biggest hurdle they have.

Last edited by gengar; 06-06-11 at 01:45 PM.
Old 06-06-11, 01:38 PM
Milan
Pole Position

Very nice from every angle except the headlights look like they were taken almost straight from the Chrysler 200.
Old 02-12-12, 03:20 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Tesla Model X revealed

Tesla Model X revealed

Here it is, the Tesla Model X, the CUV prototype version of the Model S.

We'll have more details live from California soon, but here's what we know at the moment. The Model X can hit 0-60 in 4.4 seconds, will cost around the same as the Model S, and it has those cool "falcon" gullwing-like doors.

With the batteries housed in the same low skateboard as the S, the X has a lot of space. Since the CUV doesn't need a combustion engine, there are actually two trunks: one in front and one in the back. This means, Elon Musk said at the unveiling today, that the Model X can fit seven people and their luggage. The X will also feature all-wheel drive and come with a range of battery options, but we knew this already. The X is heavier than the S and will therefore offer around 10 percent less range from the same 40-, 60- and 85-kWh battery packs that the S uses. It's price will begin around $50k after tax credits, but will rise close to $90k with the largest battery pack and all the trimmings ordered. *UPDATE: There is no 40-kWh pack option.

Tesla will start taking reservations at noon PST February 10th (i.e., later today). Oh, and Tesla is going to offer a fourth model, to be revealed in around two years. More to come.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/02/10/t...el-x-revealed/
Old 02-12-12, 03:21 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default More on Tesla Model X crossover EV unveiled, set for late '13 launch

More on Tesla Model X crossover EV unveiled, set for late '13 launch

Gallery:
http://green.autoblog.com/photos/elo...photo-4809160/

The all-electric Tesla Model X crossover was unveiled at a red-carpet, velvet-rope style event at the Tesla Design Studios in Hawthorne, CA tonight, with company co-founder Elon Musk confirming that the Model X will start production late next year and that full production is expected in 2013.

With luminaries such as California Gov. Jerry Brown in attendance and a post-announcement concert by Foster the People, Musk presented a CUV that, as rumored, has so-called "falcon-wing" doors that are similar to those of the old gull-wing vehicles but bend in the middle, allowing them to be opened in tight spaces while offering better access to the rear and third row of seats. Musk said the Model X, which is expected to be priced similar to the $57,500 Model S sedan set to debut this summer, can go from 0 to 60 miles per hour in 4.4 seconds, or 0.2 seconds quicker than a Porsche 911. The vehicle, which Musk says can seat "seven real adults," actually has front and rear electric motors that instantaneously shift power from one to the other to maximize traction, Musk said. He added that the CUV's turning radius was comparable to that of a Mini Cooper.

Musk, speaking to an enthusiastic crowd of about 1,000 people, touted the Model X as having, "more room than a minivan, more style than an SUV and more performance than a sports car." Indeed, with no internal combustion engine, the vehicle has substantial rear cargo space behind the third row of seats as well as a "frunk" in front of the car (which provided the evening's only glitch with a sticky latch. See video of that after the jump). Musk said that the "frunk" has the same storage space as the rear cargo area of an Audi Q7. Musk should know, since he owns one.

Musk also said Telsa will start deliveries of the Model S sedan – upon which the X is based – "no later than July" and will start taking online reservations for the Model X at noon Pacific time Friday. Tesla is expected to produce between 10,000 and 15,000 Model X units a year starting in 2014.

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=SA0uwQqyGCw

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/02/10/m...or-late-13-la/
Old 02-12-12, 05:07 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess having the batteries in the floor means they wont have to worry about people flipping over and getting stuck in the car lol
Old 02-12-12, 05:08 PM
LexFather

Some cars shouldn't be posted The trick rear doors are awesome though.

Old 02-12-12, 05:30 PM
Stormwind
Racer

I wonder if they will send a few over to Top Gear to review.
Old 02-12-12, 06:03 PM
JessePS

I don't think those doors will fly, no pun intended.
Old 02-12-12, 08:19 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

they haven't even shipped the 's' yet have they?
Old 12-17-12, 07:02 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Default The Tesla discussion

what do you make of Tesla?

Elon Musk is an interesting guy. wealthy (one of the founders of PayPal). extremely opinionated about the world. he's now running 3 big companies:

tesla motors
spacex
solar city

you probably know the first two, but the third is interesting in that (as i understand it) this company will setup your home with solar for free, and you then pay solarcity after that for the electricity it generates that you use. the idea being that you become green and in theory the solar electric is cheaper (or may be in time) than utility power.

but back to tesla, since this is Car Chat after all.

strategy
in a recent speech, elon musk commented on the tesla strategy, that the initial roadster was the "high price, low volume" model. the s sedan is the "mid price, mid volume" model. and beyond that they want to get to "low price, high volume" models. not sure if this last class includes the announced 'x' SUV.

unconventional in many ways
there's many interesting things about what they're doing... very unconventional.

commodity batteries
one was using arrays of commodity batteries to make an electric vehicle, like those found in laptops. this provided huge supply at reasonable cost.

huge screen and software updates
another is using a giant (17") high contrast LCD touch display for the center control stack, and having the car's software update constantly to add new features and improve usability. this update capability is something i've wanted to see for ages... normal car companies are just so lame when it comes to technology. as musk says... why buy a new car that's more antiquated than your phone right away?

california
another is doing everything in california. cost has got to be high, but they're doing it, so far.

money
speaking of cost and money, i still don't entirely understand the investment appeal in tesla but it sure has got some big backers including google, and toyota. they went public too which no doubt raised a lot of money. the stock, to me at least, is absurdly high priced, but that's been said about many things that went on to prove everyone wrong (like amazon).

dealerships
tesla dealers are tesla owned and run. there are laws in most if not all states that prevent car makers from having company-owned dealerships that would compete with independent dealers (NADA is powerful), and dealers are suing tesla for their model, but tesla argues that they've never had independent dealers, so they're not violating the law! interesting. i hope they're successful, as i'd like to see an 'apple store' approach to car dealers. most consumers pretty much know what they want before they even get to a dealer these days via internet which brings us to...

internet ordering
you can pre-order your tesla through their website.

questions...
i've got a lot of questions about tesla, like
- how could they make high quality car structures so quickly from nothing?
- are their vehicles reliable?
- are they going to make it? will they be bought by someone?
- how many have they sold?
- what's the ownership experience really like?
- if you have to go somewhere, are you constantly worried about where you can plug it in to recharge?

anyway, since the tesla s just won 2013 MotorTrend COTY, that's a big ******* deal (as our Veep would say ) and so i thought it was time to have a chat about them.
Old 12-17-12, 07:10 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

about elon musk:
http://elonmusk.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elon_Musk

good q&a on usage:
http://www.teslamotors.com/goelectric#range

great video on model x reveal
http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/tesla-unveils-model-x

musk responds to critics and dealer lawsuits
http://www.thecarconnection.com/news...ealer-lawsuits
Old 12-17-12, 07:45 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

1. Tesla introduced first model in 2006, started delivering them in 2008.
2. In today's world, a lot of work is done by suppliers... and automakers are integrators.

I dont think that the dealership thing will fly. It basically forbids free market and competition. In EU, they cant operate like that. While it provides for better customer service, it also means no discounting and no competition between dealers to get your new car or servicing business. Its one of those things that sounds great but in reality, no.

Otherwise, I wish i was in US and I would get Tesla right away.

Quick Reply: The Tesla discussion