Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > General Forums > Car Chat
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

The Tesla discussion

Closed Thread
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-29-09, 07:03 AM   #46
bitkahuna
resisting entropy
Trader Score: (16)
 
bitkahuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Present
Posts: 45,481
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnojack View Post
Lexus needs to learn a few things from tesla.

make the wheels and tires fit the wheel well without a huge gap
and make the wheels flush with body.
it's easy to do when the vehicle doesn't actually move.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
__________________
TLN #911 * Stop Global Whining
9/11- never forget
nosce te ipsum
bitkahuna is offline  
Old 03-29-09, 11:10 AM   #47
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 543
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitkahuna View Post
convenient, except if you have to go out that evening after work. and can't. because it's recharging.
Um, did you not read the specs on this car? It has a 45 minute quick charger. Your constant attacks against this car and pretty much all EVs/hybrids is rather alarming. One can only assume you must have some ties to oil companies.

Anyway, charging your vehicle while you sleep in the same manner you would charge your cell phone is not going to ruin your evening. But lets say for arguments sake that you depleted your batteries by the time you got home from work. Well, according to Tesla, the quick charge feature will allow you to charge up in 45 minutes (or do a 5 minute battery swap) - during that time you can make yourself look beautiful for the evening, ok?

Here is what Tesla is claiming regarding the Model S:

* - Up to 300 mile range
* - 45 minute QuickCharge
* - Charges from 120V, 240V or 480V
* - 5 minute battery swap
* - 0-60 mph in 5.6 seconds
* - Seats 7 people
* - More Cargo space than station wagons
* - 2X as efficient as hybrids
* - 17 inch infotainment touchscreen

With a range up to 300 miles and 45-minute QuickCharge, the $49,900 Model S can carry five adults and two children in quiet comfort – and you can charge it from any outlet, without ever stopping for gas. World’s first mass-produced electric vehicle offers performance, efficiency and unrivaled utility, making it the only car you’ll ever need.

Three battery pack options offer a range of 160, 230 or 300 miles per charge. With the 45 minute QuickCharge or a 5 minute battery swap, you can drive from LA to San Francisco, Washington to New York or take even longer road trips in about the same time as in a conventional car.

With seating for five adults and two children, plus an additional trunk under the hood, Model S has passenger carrying capacity and versatility rivaling SUVs and minivans. Rear seats fold flat, and the hatch gives way to a roomy opening, so you can stow a mountain bike, 50-inch flat-screen TV, full drum set or futon frame – more than ample for the entire family and their gear.

Model S offers 100 percent torque, 100 percent of the time without jerky shifting and a fraction of the noise and harshness of internal combustion engines. This smooth and constant power delivery, combined with the sporty handling of the chassis and suspension, leads to a superior driving experience.

The Model S powertrain features a liquid-cooled, floor-mounted battery pack and a single-speed gearbox, delivering effortless acceleration, responsive handling and quiet simplicity -- no fancy clutchwork or gear-shifting required. Model S costs about $4 to fully charge – a bargain even when gasoline is $1 per gallon. You can listen to Pandora Radio or consult Google Maps on the 17 inch touchscreen with in-car 3G connectivity.
Sens4Miles is offline  
Old 03-29-09, 11:38 AM   #48
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: californication
Posts: 6,847
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitkahuna View Post
yeah right. 12k mi./yr in a 40mpg Civic costs $600 / YEAR for gas. since that car costs, what, $20K?

that means for $40K LESS than the Tesla I can pay at most $600/yr more for gas (not even counting all the electric bills for the Tesla).

ergo, the Tesla is too expensive, and pointless. oh and where is it? the economics don't work.

NEXT!!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitkahuna View Post
it's easy to do when the vehicle doesn't actually move.

civic vs tesla? that's apples to oranges.

why buy a civic when you can have a Yaris? even cheaper!


the car doesn't just sit there. It was driven out on the road already:
Click the image to open in full size.
dunnojack is offline  
Old 03-29-09, 02:25 PM   #49
ren495
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: WA
Posts: 257
Default

ROFL comparing a civic to a Tesla? Epic....

What's next? Someone will stop by and tell us that buying a Mercedes S400 hybrid is stupid because you can get a Prius for third of the price with better gas mileage?

Or wait....why buy an Aston Martin when you can get a Chevy Aveo for like 1/20 the price?
ren495 is offline  
Old 03-29-09, 02:26 PM   #50
ren495
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: WA
Posts: 257
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitkahuna View Post
it's easy to do when the vehicle doesn't actually move.
the car runs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfttX...e=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8YN3MAHmhY
ren495 is offline  
Old 03-29-09, 02:29 PM   #51
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: CA
Posts: 1,676
Send a message via AIM to ffpowerLN Send a message via MSN to ffpowerLN
Default

I don't think the production version of the Model S is going to have that narrow of a wheel gap.

Take a look at the LF-A prototype, that thing has almost no wheel gap at all...
ffpowerLN is offline  
Old 03-29-09, 02:32 PM   #52
ren495
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: WA
Posts: 257
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitkahuna View Post
convenient, except if you have to go out that evening after work. and can't. because it's recharging.
300 miles is a LOT. even 160 is. and with the 480v system it charges in 45 minutes.

But haters will keep on hating. You don't hate the car because it is inconvenient. You hate it because you hate progress.

But it's OK. there always are people who oppose progress. Heck, there were people who a hundred years ago laughed at cars and said tha horses will be #1 transport for humans for ever and that cars are a stupid inconvenient temporary fashion statement.

You're one of those people.
ren495 is offline  
Old 03-29-09, 04:02 PM   #53
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: californication
Posts: 6,847
Default

they need to change some of those touch screen graphics.

make it looks sleeker. like actual buttons.

and that night-time glare must be horrible.
dunnojack is offline  
Old 03-29-09, 04:02 PM   #54
bitkahuna
resisting entropy
Trader Score: (16)
 
bitkahuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Present
Posts: 45,481
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ren495 View Post
You don't hate the car because it is inconvenient. You hate it because you hate progress.
thanks for the good laugh. you don't know me, but i embrace all kinds of change and progress, but i am skeptical about tesla's claims. plus, even if EVERYTHING is true, economically it STILL doesn't make ANY sense.

also, how can that sedan shown seat 7!?

Quote:
But it's OK. there always are people who oppose progress. Heck, there were people who a hundred years ago laughed at cars and said tha horses will be #1 transport for humans for ever and that cars are a stupid inconvenient temporary fashion statement.

You're one of those people.
and you're a "true believer" and kool-aid drinker, believing all the PR that tesla wants to publish. but nice finger pointing and judgment even though you don't know me.

i *do* believe electric cars have a future, although i prefer hydrogen.

by the way, if recharging an electric car is cheap, as it appears to be now, but states end up losing significant tax revenue due to decreased gasoline use, guess what's going to happen... yup, higher taxes/rates for electricity, making the economic aspect of electric vehicles even weaker.

anyway, bottom line, are YOU going to put your money where your keyboard is and buy one of these supposedly $50K tesla S's?
__________________
TLN #911 * Stop Global Whining
9/11- never forget
nosce te ipsum
bitkahuna is offline  
Old 03-29-09, 04:05 PM   #55
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: californication
Posts: 6,847
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitkahuna View Post
by the way, if recharging an electric car is cheap, as it appears to be now, but states end up losing significant tax revenue due to decreased gasoline use, guess what's going to happen... yup, higher taxes/rates for electricity, making the economic aspect of electric vehicles even weaker.
that won't happen in the next 50 years, as the majority of cars will still run on gas or diesel.

transition to electric will take a long long time.
dunnojack is offline  
Old 03-29-09, 04:09 PM   #56
bitkahuna
resisting entropy
Trader Score: (16)
 
bitkahuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Present
Posts: 45,481
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens4Miles View Post
Um, did you not read the specs on this car? It has a 45 minute quick charger.
probably with 480V which almost no homes have. great.

Quote:
Your constant attacks against this car and pretty much all EVs/hybrids is rather alarming. One can only assume you must have some ties to oil companies.
you know what they say about 'assume' and you're wrong.

Quote:
* - 5 minute battery swap
how do you think that is possible? and that assumes someone has TWO sets of batteries - wonder how much the second set will add to the $50K cost.

Quote:
* - 17 inch infotainment touchscreen
i am concerned with the distraction factor of such a huge screen near the driver.
__________________
TLN #911 * Stop Global Whining
9/11- never forget
nosce te ipsum
bitkahuna is offline  
Old 03-29-09, 04:09 PM   #57
bitkahuna
resisting entropy
Trader Score: (16)
 
bitkahuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Present
Posts: 45,481
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnojack View Post
that won't happen in the next 50 years, as the majority of cars will still run on gas or diesel.

transition to electric will take a long long time.
depends if envirofascists force us to switch.
__________________
TLN #911 * Stop Global Whining
9/11- never forget
nosce te ipsum
bitkahuna is offline  
Old 03-29-09, 05:23 PM   #58
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 543
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitkahuna View Post
thanks for the good laugh. you don't know me, but i embrace all kinds of change and progress, but i am skeptical about tesla's claims. plus, even if EVERYTHING is true, economically it STILL doesn't make ANY sense.

also, how can that sedan shown seat 7!?



and you're a "true believer" and kool-aid drinker, believing all the PR that tesla wants to publish.
What exactly makes you doubt Tesla's claims? They have already produced and delivered over 200 roadsters that achieve a combined 200 miles/charge. These are REAL cars in the hands of REAL drivers. Being skeptical that in 2 years time, they could not roll their technology into a 4 door sedan is pretty ridiculous. They have already proven that they can create a vehicle that runs on Lithium Ion batteries and achieve over 200 miles on a single charge. They are simply adding another vehicle to their lineup and offering more choices for the consumer by having 3 different battery packs available to choose from. I see no reason for your skepticism. The "seating 7 passengers" thing maybe, but not the technology behind their claims.
Sens4Miles is offline  
Old 03-29-09, 11:22 PM   #59
bitkahuna
resisting entropy
Trader Score: (16)
 
bitkahuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Present
Posts: 45,481
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens4Miles View Post
I see no reason for your skepticism.
well we'll just have to wait and see.
__________________
TLN #911 * Stop Global Whining
9/11- never forget
nosce te ipsum
bitkahuna is offline  
Old 03-30-09, 12:01 AM   #60
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: californication
Posts: 6,847
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitkahuna View Post
well we'll just have to wait and see.
first round, 15 years ago, didn't work

let's see about this round
dunnojack is offline  
Old 03-30-09, 12:01 AM
 
 
 
 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Schwarzenegger buys a tank, wants you to crush things with him for charity Hoovey2411 The Clubhouse 13 03-25-14 05:49 PM
TOTAL RECALL: Remake (trailer inside now) TXSTYLE The Clubhouse 52 08-06-12 12:00 PM
CA: Mount a GPS on Your Windshield, Get Fined $108 Zephyr CL of Southern California 31 08-11-08 03:33 AM
Schwarzenegger to lobby Toyota for hybrid Prius Gojirra99 Car Chat 15 10-21-04 12:10 PM
Governor Davis takes dig at Alnold's accent EmeraldLexuSC3 The Clubhouse 47 09-15-03 03:24 PM


Tags
137, alpha, cars, cheap, clublexus, compared, comparison, discussion, elon, groups, httpwwwautoblogcom20130507teslamodelssecretmenushowspossibleupcomingfeatures, lexus, linkts, model, musk, nice, paris, people, pictures, powered, report, robb, s, skateboarding, tela, tesla, vbulletin

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:23 PM.

Join ClubLexus
Advertising


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Use | JOBS


Get all contact info