Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The Tesla discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-09, 01:48 AM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

It looks like they're using a Jag body with modifications..
Old 03-27-09, 07:01 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

goodbye GS

hello Tesla!!

$50000. I'm there!

holy cow

i hope the center stack software doesn't freeze in the middle of driving, and need a reboot. imagine that eh
Old 03-27-09, 07:07 AM
Cabinetman
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Yes, gas stations are a waste of time. I keep a compressor in the garage so I can top off my tires to minimize visits to gas stations.
I used to do this too, but now I'm spoiled by nitrogen. My local dealer only used nitrogen because they have less issues with folks coming in complaining about the TPMS light being on. It doesn't help that this time of year it will be 80 degrees one day and then 35 the next.
Old 03-28-09, 09:16 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Lexus needs to learn a few things from tesla.

make the wheels and tires fit the wheel well without a huge gap
and make the wheels flush with body.

Old 03-28-09, 01:33 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

I really would like Tesla to tell us why making an electric Elise costs over 100K to buy but making a new from the ground up 4 door sedan electric can be sold for $50K?
Old 03-28-09, 01:50 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am really loving this but will have to see it to believe.

$50k, 300-mile range and 0-60 in 5.5 sec are just a bit too good to believe.
Old 03-28-09, 02:43 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ffpowerLN

No argument from me. Very similar to the claims and pricing of the Fisker. If they pull these things off at the price point they are talking about, the traditional auto makers need to get religion quick. At least Tesla is just up the road a piece from where I am (for now) so I won't have service issues. I am no greenie but to cut the need to visit the friendly guy in the gun turret at my local gas station, I would go for either one too.
Old 03-28-09, 03:54 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ffpowerLN

I too am keeping tabs on this (and the company too.)
Old 03-28-09, 05:07 PM
ren495
Pole Position

$50k gets you 160 mile range. 300 miles are extra. But whatever, I'd pay $70k for such a car.
Old 03-28-09, 05:52 PM
ren495
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dunnojack
Lexus needs to learn a few things from tesla.

make the wheels and tires fit the wheel well without a huge gap
and make the wheels flush with body.

that's the least of what lexus needs to learn from tesla. the 300 mile all electric range for $50-65k is what Lexus really needs to learn.

It will take a car like this to kick all the major auto manufacturers in the *****. You're telling me Toyota could not have done this? I think they're not doing it on purpose. I bet the oil companies give them something under the table. Cars like the Prius is like sort-of giving something to people while still keeping the oil companies happy.

Tesla says F*** that! I love Tesla.

Since March 26 2009 Lexus is no longer my favorite brand.
Old 03-28-09, 06:56 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by JessePS
362 km on a full charge is pretty awesome for a 5 person sports car, plus the $60k is pretty nice also.
yeah right. 12k mi./yr in a 40mpg Civic costs $600 / YEAR for gas. since that car costs, what, $20K?

that means for $40K LESS than the Tesla I can pay at most $600/yr more for gas (not even counting all the electric bills for the Tesla).

ergo, the Tesla is too expensive, and pointless. oh and where is it? the economics don't work.

NEXT!!!!!!!
Old 03-28-09, 07:04 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Reminds me of the old saying, "if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is"...
Old 03-28-09, 07:09 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ren495
that's the least of what lexus needs to learn from tesla. the 300 mile all electric range for $50-65k is what Lexus really needs to learn.

It will take a car like this to kick all the major auto manufacturers in the *****. You're telling me Toyota could not have done this? I think they're not doing it on purpose. I bet the oil companies give them something under the table. Cars like the Prius is like sort-of giving something to people while still keeping the oil companies happy.

Tesla says F*** that! I love Tesla.

Since March 26 2009 Lexus is no longer my favorite brand.
Of course Toyota could have done this. But they choose not to for the same reason GM crushed all of the EV1s that they produced earlier this decade - because EVs are not nearly as profitable as those running on ICE. Trust that Toyota STILL wants to sell many more Camrys and Corollas than Priuses. They do not advertise the Prius or any of their hybrids for a reason - because they would much rather sell the ICE version of those vehicles than the ones that cost them more to make and put less $$ in their pockets.

The good thing is, however, that Tesla will now force Toyota/Lexus and others to produce EVs with similar range/performance because they will simply not let Tesla and others take away too much of their potential business. Either way, it's a win/win for us. If Toyota/Lexus does not follow suit or comes up with something similar to the Volt with its poor excuse of an AER of 40 miles/charge, those of us interested in real EVs/Luxury EVs will have no choice but to turn to a brand that is willing to offer it to us.
Old 03-29-09, 05:58 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by f=ma
Its convenient. Rather than going to gas station, you drive home, park car, remove work stuff from car, plug car in, close garage, go inside, open beer. And when you wake up in the morning its all recharge. Think of it like cell phone. I'd get one not for emissions but for convenience.
convenient, except if you have to go out that evening after work. and can't. because it's recharging.
Old 03-29-09, 06:00 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ren495
OK thats it. This is my next car. Buh bye Lexus. 225 all electric miles, no dirty stinky middle east oil...for 50K...and it looks like that?...wow...

And they said it has a 440v capability. Meaning if you install the system it can probably charge the batteries full in a couple hours. Maybe even less.

Now all I want is for MIT to develop those nano solar panels with 40+% efficiency and anyone could live running 100% on green energy.

C'mon MIT get it done! and nano ultracapasitors that charge in 5 minutes and last 100 years to replace the lithium ion batteries would be great too!
yeah c'mon MIT - i'll have a mr. fusion too while you're at it.

Quick Reply: The Tesla discussion