Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The Tesla discussion

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-14, 08:01 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Created for the 2014 World Energy Innovation Forum, this short video showcases all things Tesla in just under two minutes.
Old 05-17-14, 10:55 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default What happens when you completely run out of battery in your Tesla Model S?

So it’s the question everyone seems to want to ask following our recent Tesla racing story where we made a small mention that we … ahem, got stranded on the side of the road with no battery range left. How does one possibly run out of power in an 85 kWh Tesla Model S rated for 260 miles of range?

I’m sure some of you would suggest that the headline to this story should read “Only dummies run out of battery in their Tesla Model S”, especially considering Model S owners have done record breaking 12,000 mile journeys across four corners of the nation, not to mention that one Model S owner even crossed the country, and back, in a 60 kWh version.

We’ve received a lot of questions via emails, comments and even through media coverage on the topic, despite the story’s main intent of showcasing our Las Vegas Motor Speedway racing conquests, so we’ll go ahead and try to address them all here.

Battery Range and Trip Planning

The Tesla Model S provides you with a read out on the range (in miles or km) that’s remaining given the battery’s current state of charge. The rated range is formulaic and based on Tesla’s proprietary algorithms which attempt to estimate range by determining how much energy is stored in the battery. As its label implies, it’s truly just a rating. Tesla’s rated range does not account for elevation changes or wind conditions. We find the site EVTripPlanner does an excellent job with estimating power consumption by taking into account speed, climate control usage and elevation changes.

This graph shows the correlation of speed with available driving range. The slower you travel, the less amount of air drag and therefore the more range you’ll be able to squeeze out of your Tesla.

That said, there are factors you can’t predict upfront, such as wind conditions. While not a big concern in most cases, it should be taken seriously in areas that are prone to high wind conditions and strong gusts. A strong head wind can almost double the Model S power requirements. Even slowing down does not render a substantial improvement. With that in mind, get as much extra charge as possible and drive extra conservative well before crossing into high wind territory. It’s easy for us to say that now having just learned from our Las Vegas to Barstow experience.

So how did you run out of battery?

I wish I could tell you that it was due to an act of heroism where by we veered our Model S off the freeway and onto a narrow dirt road, in pursuit of a big-headed green Martian that needed our help getting back to its space transporter. After all, we’re driving an Intergalactic SpaceBoat of Light and Wonder so it would only make sense that we assisted.

Unfortunately the truth is far less mind blowing.

We ran out of charge because we severely underestimated the strength of the wind and didn’t leave enough buffer early into the drive to account for these unforeseen weather conditions.

We left the Las Vegas Tesla Supercharger with approximately 240 miles in range thinking it would be more than enough power to reach the Barstow Supercharger station that was 160 miles away.

A sand storm with strong headwinds of 35 mph, combined with the steep elevation changes and our usual keeping-up-with-traffic speed of 75 mph, well before reaching the sand storm, all culminated into one of the most stressful situations we’ve ever experienced in our Tesla Model S. We ended up 3 miles shy of reaching our destination, taking into account the additional 10 – 20 miles of reserve range that we were able to tap into. This equates to an additional power consumption of roughly 60%.

What happens with the Tesla Model S when it’s out of charge?

The estimated range on the driver’s dash will read 0 however it’s not the end. There is an extra reserve good for another 10 – 20 miles, depending on your power consumption, after reaching the 0 mark.

Not that you should be taking this for granted and let this ever happen, but it’s good to know that if you do end up in a situation where you’re at 0 miles remaining, you’ll likely reach your destination if it’s within 10 miles.

Once the reserve is depleted, the next event is a message that displays across the center console indicating that the car is shutting down, pull over safely. Needless to say you should do this immediately.

Like the Terminator, this is still not the end. The car will have enough battery to power the displays and other auxiliary functions, followed by the final-final stage that occurs approximately half an hour later. Everything will shut down. You’ll be able to open the doors and the emergency lights will continue flashing, but both the center console and dashboard will be completely dark.

What should you do?

Should you find yourself in this situation, put the car into the Tow Mode before everything begins shutting down. Make sure to block the wheels before putting the car into Tow Mode to prevent it from rolling off. The car will also need to be in neutral before it can be loaded onto a flatbed. Towing companies that work with Tesla know how to jumpstart the Model S battery, but you’ll save everyone time and energy by shifting the car into neutral before it’s completely dead.

We got a lift to the Barstow Supercharger station and began charging up the car again. Once charged it’s important to power off and reset the car. Make sure the doors are closed and use the Power Off button on the control panel (Controls -> E-Brake & Power Off). To start the car back up, press the brake pedal (you may also need to open a door if it does not start). If you don’t Power Off, the Model S will still think it’s in a depleted power mode and not allow more than 20 kw of power consumption. Regenerative braking will also be disabled.

Sorry, Tesla Motors

Keep in mind that running out of power in a Tesla Model S is something that rarely ever happens. It’s 100% the owner’s responsibility to plan accordingly so that faux pas like this do not occur. Bailing an owner out of this type of situation is not something Tesla Motors has to cover, so as you can imagine we were extra thankful that they came to our rescue and towed us out.

Sorry.
http://www.teslarati.com/what-happen...tesla-model-s/
Old 05-18-14, 12:45 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

We left the Las Vegas Tesla Supercharger with approximately 240 miles in range thinking it would be more than enough power to reach the Barstow Supercharger station that was 160 miles away.

A sand storm with strong headwinds of 35 mph, combined with the steep elevation changes and our usual keeping-up-with-traffic speed of 75 mph, well before reaching the sand storm, all culminated into one of the most stressful situations we’ve ever experienced in our Tesla Model S. We ended up 3 miles shy of reaching our destination, taking into account the additional 10 – 20 miles of reserve range that we were able to tap into. This equates to an additional power consumption of roughly 60%.
yikes, that sure is a variance, losing so much battery charge due to those conditions.
Old 05-18-14, 01:11 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

If you don’t Power Off, the Model S will still think it’s in a depleted power mode and not allow more than 20 kw of power consumption. Regenerative braking will also be disabled.
does this make sense? Regen braking will be disabled if the car thinks it is depleted? I would think it would want to capture back as much as possible
Old 05-18-14, 05:51 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,703 Likes on 2,288 Posts

From the comments:

Q:
My biggest questions after reading this is: even after this experience, did it sour you in any way about owning your Model S?

A:
It did not sour the experience whatsoever especially since it was mainly due to our own oversight. The way we see it, we would have experienced the same type of effect in a high performance gas car with the main difference being that the gas pump infrastructure is more readily available than EV chargers (for now). The experience has made us appreciate the Model S all that much more especially knowing how much thought and design detail went into each facet of the car - even helping stranded knuckle heads like us.
Old 05-18-14, 09:38 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
yikes, that sure is a variance, losing so much battery charge due to those conditions.
It's absolutely crazy - basically only 63% of expected range, and that's only if factoring in the lower end of reserve mileage (10 miles). I used to drive my '08 IS-F on lengthy commutes very frequently when I was back in the midwest, and I would get ~23mpg on the freeway at ~70mph, so 63% of that would be a shockingly low 14.5mpg and I never got anywhere even remotely close to that low on the highway, even in adverse weather conditions, in snow tires, and when I was lead-footing it. Heck, even in pure city driving I don't think I ever managed anything as low as 14.5mpg.

I'm not sure I buy the elevation change issue for pure battery vehicles in this case either, because Las Vegas and Barstow are about the same altitude - so even with the elevation changes causing lower mpg on the uphill, the battery should be getting charges sometimes on the downhill (contrast to hybrids, where the hybrid management system doesn't know the upcoming topography so often will store too much energy during lengthy downhill runs, adversely affecting fuel economy). I might check out that EV trip planning website just to see how much they think that actually affects fuel economy.
Old 05-18-14, 11:16 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
From the comments:

Q:
My biggest questions after reading this is: even after this experience, did it sour you in any way about owning your Model S?

A:
It did not sour the experience whatsoever especially since it was mainly due to our own oversight. The way we see it, we would have experienced the same type of effect in a high performance gas car with the main difference being that the gas pump infrastructure is more readily available than EV chargers (for now). The experience has made us appreciate the Model S all that much more especially knowing how much thought and design detail went into each facet of the car - even helping stranded knuckle heads like us.
well, if my Lexus told me I had 240 miles of range and then I ended up without gas after 160, i sure would be mad... but since it was cool Tesla, i would persuade myself it is all my error (for buying the car, lol).

That got me thinking - i remember that Tesla and Toyota had different range for Rav4 EV in the press materials - with Tesla had a lot longer and Toyota had smaller range for the same car... Thay should lower their estimates a bit so people can calculate their trips properly.
Old 05-18-14, 11:24 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Sorry, late to the discussion here... Not to sidetrack anything, but I honestly LOVE the looks of the Model S, but when I sat in it, all I thought to myself was "where's the $70,000 car...?" The seats seemed thin and cheap, and I wasn't very comfortable. I'm a pretty large guy (6'4", 215lbs), so a lot of cars give me simar issues, but I'm not sold just yet. What I do love is how Tesla is making the electric car exciting. For now, I'll stick to my GS460, but I'm definitely intrigued with the talk of a cheaper Tesla.
Old 05-18-14, 11:45 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by TRD_Power
Sorry, late to the discussion here... Not to sidetrack anything, but I honestly LOVE the looks of the Model S, but when I sat in it, all I thought to myself was "where's the $70,000 car...?" The seats seemed thin and cheap, and I wasn't very comfortable. I'm a pretty large guy (6'4", 215lbs), so a lot of cars give me simar issues, but I'm not sold just yet. What I do love is how Tesla is making the electric car exciting. For now, I'll stick to my GS460, but I'm definitely intrigued with the talk of a cheaper Tesla.
keep in mind that Tesla is selling them at loss right now, so we cant expect to get higher quality interior... but thats why powertrain cool factor is through the roof.
Old 05-19-14, 04:23 PM
Hoovey689

Default FTC staff comes out in favor of Tesla, direct vehicle sales

Official Press:

FTC Staff: Missouri and New Jersey Should Repeal Their Prohibitions on Direct-to-Consumer Auto Sales by Manufacturers

May 16

Federal Trade Commission staff submitted written comments to Missouri State Representative Michael J. Colona and New Jersey State Assemblyman Paul D. Moriarty in response to requests for comment on legislative proposals that would alter the ability of automobile manufacturers to sell their cars directly to consumers. The proposed Missouri bill would expand current prohibitions of such sales by franchisors to also include sales by any manufacturer, regardless of whether they use independent dealers. In New Jersey, several bills would create limited exceptions to state law that, as currently interpreted, requires motor vehicles to be sold only through independent auto dealers.

According to the comments by staff from the FTC's Office of Policy Planning, Bureau of Competition, and Bureau of Economics, current laws in both jurisdictions "operate as a special protection for [independent motor vehicle dealers] – a protection that is likely harming both competition and consumers." The comments note the staff's strong opposition to state laws that mandate a single method of distributing automobiles to consumers.

In Missouri, proposed amendments to current law would expand the scope of the existing restrictions on direct sales. Under the bill, all new motor vehicles in Missouri would have to be sold through independent dealers. As the staff comment states, current law limits franchising auto manufacturers' ability "to innovate in their methods of sale in ways that might be more cost-effective and responsive to consumer demand" and "is very likely harming both competition and consumers. By expanding the scope of the existing prohibition to include manufacturers that do not currently use, or even desire to sell through independent dealers, HB 1124 [the proposed amendments] would amplify the adverse effects of the current prohibition" and "discourage innovation."

In contrast, each of the legislative proposals in New Jersey would permit some manufacturers, under limited circumstances, to sell cars directly to consumers, and so would likely increase competition relative to the current blanket ban on all other methods of selling cars. But in the staff's view, the bills "do not go far enough. . . ." "New Jersey's consumers would more fully benefit from a complete repeal of the prohibition on direct sales by all manufacturers, rather than any limited, selective set of exceptions," the staff comment states, noting that "current New Jersey law . . . is very likely anticompetitive and harmful to consumers."

The prohibitions on direct sales in Missouri and New Jersey particularly affect Tesla Motors, a relatively new entrant in the auto market that has been prevented from selling directly to consumers, the staff comment states. But their effects are likely more far-reaching.

The staff comments encourage the Missouri and New Jersey legislatures to consider abandoning existing law and to "permit manufacturers and consumers to reengage the normal competitive process that prevails in most other industries." Such changes "would facilitate the development of new methods of distribution and possibly . . . the arrival of new motor vehicle manufacturers," benefitting motor vehicle buyers of Missouri and New Jersey.

"FTC staff offer no opinion on whether automobile distribution through independent dealerships is superior or inferior to direct distribution by manufacturers. . . .[C]onsumers are the ones best situated to choose for themselves both the cars they want to buy and how they want to buy them," the staff states.

The Commission vote to issue each of the staff comments was 5-0 . (FTC File Nos. V140010 and V140008; the staff contact is Patrick J. Roach, Office of Policy Planning, 202-326-2793).

The FTC's Office of Policy Planning works with the Commission and its staff to develop long-range competition and consumer policy initiatives, consistent with the FTC's unique mission to conduct research and engage in advocacy on issues that affect competition, consumers, and the U.S. economy. The Office of Policy Planning submits advocacy filings; conducts research and studies; organizes public workshops; issues reports; and advises staff on cases raising new or complex policy and legal issues. To reach the Office of Policy Planning, send an e-mail to opp@ftc.gov. Like the FTC on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, read our blogs, and subscribe to press releases for the latest FTC news and resources.
http://green.autoblog.com/2014/05/19...vehicle-sales/
Old 06-04-14, 12:11 PM
Hoovey689

Default Production Tesla Model X designed for women, looks 'better'

A recent study found that men and women drive their electric vehicles differently. That might help explain why there is a male bias towards Tesla's electric offerings while the more practical Nissan Leaf get the attention of female drivers. Well, according to Tesla CEO Elon Musk, who spoke with investors yesterday during the company's annual shareholder meeting, the upcoming Tesla Model X could shift the paradigm of the gendered EV.

Musk didn't get into details, but responding to a question from the audience, Musk said that "we're certainly paying more attention to the needs of women in the Model X. ... We probably got a little too guy-centric on the S. So, we're hoping to correct that with the X." Musk also said that the "production version of the Model X actually looks different from [what we've seen before], it looks better."

When we think about the design of the Model X, the first thing that comes to mind are those falcon-wing doors, which Tesla repeatedly promises are sticking around in the production version. Perhaps the feel of opening them is what he meant when he said the design is meant to appeal to women?

So in the case of Model X that's just taken a bit longer than we would have liked. In particular, getting the falcon-wing door right is extremely difficult. Things that you maybe wouldn't expect are also very difficult, things like the second row seats are quite a challenge because what we're aiming for with the Model X is that when you open the falcon-wing door, you have the second row seats essentially framed and we want that to feel like a work of art. If you open up the door it should be this amazing experience. I mean, it may sound a bit silly, but it should just feel like "ahh!" [laughs] And then the seat, I mean it's just the seat but we want the seat to be like feel like a work of art like something you could have in a museum. Anyway, that's where we're going for with the Model X, and it's bloody hard.

Whatever the case, Model X pre-orders are rolling in. Once the EV arrives in customer driveways some time next year (Musk said he expects volume production to kick in during the second quarter of 2015), we'll have a better idea if it's the soccer moms or the soccer dads who like the AWD-only Model X more.
http://green.autoblog.com/2014/06/04...-looks-better/

Old 06-04-14, 01:03 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

post title a bit misleading - he didn't say x is designed for women, he said they're "paying more attention to the needs of women" because they've been "guy-centric" so far.
Old 06-09-14, 06:30 PM
Hoovey689

Default Elon Musk hints at opening Tesla's EV patents

Right Hand Drive Model S Arrives in the UK

LONDON, June 7, 2014

First RHD customer deliveries in the world presented by Tesla CEO Elon Musk

Tesla CEO Elon Musk delivered five new cars to customers in London today at an event to mark the arrival of right hand drive (RHD) Model S in the UK. The occasion marks the beginning of a planned rapid expansion in the country in the coming two years.

Today, Tesla operates a store and a service centre in London. By the end of 2014, however, customers will be able to visit Tesla stores and service centres across the UK. Tesla will also continue to hold test-drive events around the country.

RHD MODEL S IN THE UK

Model S is an uncompromised electric car that delivers 502 kilometres of range on a single charge. With a 17-inch touchscreen, an outstanding safety record, and an acceleration of 0-100 km/h in 4.4 seconds, the fully electric Model S breaks the mould. Tesla is committed to giving customers the best possible Model S experience no matter where they live. With that in mind, the company has completed a country-specific validation programme to ensure the vehicles are optimised for every market in which they are sold. Right hand drive cars in the UK come with software specific to the country and a configuration that fits the needs of owners who drive on the left hand side of the road. Everything from the wipers to the braces in the front trunk has been re-fitted for RHD.

FIRST UK SUPERCHARGER

Tesla also energised the first Supercharger location in the UK at the delivery event. The Crystal site at London's Royal Victoria Docks represents the beginning of a route to Paris and then the rest of Europe, which will enable Model S drivers to travel long distances in the UK and on the continent for free.

"Superchargers enable long distance travel but also, in a city where off street parking is rare and expensive, Model S customers will be able to access a network of Superchargers across London to charge, quickly and for free, at their convenience," said Elon Musk. "We are looking at locations across the capital to place our first set of inner city Superchargers. Our plan for routes to other cities in the UK is still on target for the end of the year, but we are also announcing this new initiative in order to best serve our London-based customers. We expect customers to be able to travel the length of the UK for free using our Superchargers within the next 18 months".

Musk said that by the end of the year Model S drivers will be able to travel almost anywhere in Europe using Superchargers. The company is energising Superchargers at a rate of close to one per weekday. More than 125 Supercharger locations are energised worldwide, with 19 locations in Europe. Tesla Superchargers have so far offset more than 2.5 million litres of petrol.

Forward-Looking Statements

Certain statements in this press release, including statements regarding future store, service centre and Supercharger locations and capabilities as well as statements regarding sales expectations in Europe, are "forward-looking statements" that are subject to risks and uncertainties. These forward-looking statements are based on management's current expectations, and as a result of certain risks and uncertainties, actual results may differ materially from those projected. Various important factors could cause actual results to differ materially from those in the forward-looking statements, including potential difficulties in finding suitable store, service centre and Supercharger sites, negotiating leases or obtaining required permits for such locations and customer acceptance of our brand and vehicles in Europe and Asia, as well as the risks and uncertainties identified under the sections captioned "Risk Factors" and "Management's Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results Of Operations" in Tesla's Form 10-K filed on February 26, 2014. Tesla disclaims any obligation to update information contained in these forward-looking statements.

http://green.autoblog.com/2014/06/09...la-ev-patents/
Old 06-09-14, 10:33 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Elon is a brilliant man, even before Tesla. However, not a great speaker...lol...sounds like he didn't prepare much for the presentation
Old 06-10-14, 12:07 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Five slippery cars enter a wind tunnel; one slinks out a winner. 2014 Chevrolet Volt vs. 2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA250, 2012 Nissan Leaf SL, 2012 Tesla Model S P85, 2014 Toyota Prius.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 06-10-14 at 07:27 AM.

Quick Reply: The Tesla discussion