Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The Tesla discussion

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-13, 09:57 PM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for posting the BBC interview of Musk. Good stuff.
Old 11-05-13, 10:59 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,494 Likes on 1,639 Posts

in q3, they sold 5500 vehicles, and lost $38 MILLION.

that's a loss of about $7000 per car.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...arter/3445745/
Old 11-07-13, 01:25 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Third Tesla fire is a Tennessee CarBQ

Third Tesla fire is a Tennessee CarBQ

It's been a pretty hot year for Tesla. Car of the Year awards, crazy stock price rise, and lots of media attention. Now, though, it may be getting a little too hot. As in, cars-going-up-in-flames hot.

We saw it happen in Washington when a Model S had its battery pack pierced by a metallic piece of road debris, and again in Mexico, when a driver (accidentally) tried his best to destroy a concrete wall, then a tree.

Well, it's happened again, this time in Tennessee, just outside of Smyrna. Yesterday afternoon, A Twitter user witnessed a scene, the likes of which is sure to break the heart of any Tesla fan: a Model S CarBQ. The fire seems a little less dramatic than the two previous incidents and Reuters is now reporting that, according to the Tennessee Highway Patrol, the driver "ran over a tow hitch" that "hit the undercarriage of the vehicle causing an electrical fire." We can't say at this time whether the battery or high voltage systems were involved, or whether it was contained to the 12-volt system.

Tesla said the blaze occurred following an accident and has issued the following statement:
We have been in contact with the driver, who was not injured and believes the car saved his life. Our team is on its way to Tennessee to learn more about what happened. We will provide more information when we're able to do so.

While we still feel this is a pretty ordinary sort of event for an automobile – thousands of cars burn every year in the US – it may still have an out-sized effect on Tesla, since appearances oftentimes count for more than they ought to. Although it's hard to be certain how this might be affecting Tesla's (TSLA) stock, especially after yesterday's dramatic fall, we note that it is down -6.81 percent further today at $140.87 as of this writing.

http://green.autoblog.com/2013/11/07...ire-tennessee/
Old 11-07-13, 03:44 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
in q3, they sold 5500 vehicles, and lost $38 MILLION.

that's a loss of about $7000 per car.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...arter/3445745/
That isn't all that bad compared to Fisker.
Old 11-07-13, 04:54 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

While we still feel this is a pretty ordinary sort of event for an automobile – thousands of cars burn every year in the US
this has passed the point where it can be simply justified by "it is common for any car".. It is not like there are 2 million Tesla's around.

they need to strengthen the battery pack as it is obviously a problem.
Old 11-07-13, 05:09 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by spwolf
this has passed the point where it can be simply justified by "it is common for any car".. It is not like there are 2 million Tesla's around.

Could happen to a lot of vehicles. This tow hitch they ran over or whatever. We have a family friend who had a Miata and was driving on the freeway when all of a sudden a metal stake shot up through the passenger floor. He was so happy he didn't have family or a passenger in there as they could of been really hurt.
Old 11-07-13, 05:10 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Agreed. I thought North American sales through 3Q 2013 were just 18,000 units? So this is 3 out of 18,000 - and only the ones we know about.

I did a quick google search and while there are figures for fire department responses to vehicles on fire, this includes vehicle arson, so that data is not useful for determining rates of accidental vehicular fires. Maybe when I have more time, I'll try to look some more into it.

Either way, what worries me is the fact that the battery pack appears to be quite vulnerable to damage from road debris.

It'll be interesting to see what Tesla does in response to this issue. Hopefully it's something more than their current MO of trying to dismiss it by saying that non-EVs catch fire too.
Old 11-07-13, 05:26 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gengar
Agreed. I thought North American sales through 3Q 2013 were just 18,000 units? So this is 3 out of 18,000 - and only the ones we know about.

I did a quick google search and while there are figures for fire department responses to vehicles on fire, this includes vehicle arson, so that data is not useful for determining rates of accidental vehicular fires. Maybe when I have more time, I'll try to look some more into it.

Either way, what worries me is the fact that the battery pack appears to be quite vulnerable to damage from road debris.

It'll be interesting to see what Tesla does in response to this issue. Hopefully it's something more than their current MO of trying to dismiss it by saying that non-EVs catch fire too.
if you go back a page or two, i posted how Tesla put the battery at the bottom of the car... so it is very exposed... it helps with the handling obviously but there seems to be a problem with battery protection.

One Volt went on fire, and GM recalled all Volts... at that point, they sold probably double what Tesla did.
Old 11-07-13, 05:29 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Could happen to a lot of vehicles. This tow hitch they ran over or whatever. We have a family friend who had a Miata and was driving on the freeway when all of a sudden a metal stake shot up through the passenger floor. He was so happy he didn't have family or a passenger in there as they could of been really hurt.
i agree that you can run over something easily and it happens a lot... but not every car will self combust after that.

It is not a big deal, companies recall cars all the time... putting your head into sand and claiming "customer believes his life was saved by Tesla" is not going to work forever.

there is a reason car companies over-engineer battery pack protection, sure it is heaver and it is more expensive but at the same time, problems like this dont happen.
Old 11-07-13, 06:00 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

i agree that you can run over something easily and it happens a lot... but not every car will self combust after that.

It is not a big deal, companies recall cars all the time... putting your head into sand and claiming "customer believes his life was saved by Tesla" is not going to work forever.

there is a reason car companies over-engineer battery pack protection, sure it is heaver and it is more expensive but at the same time, problems like this dont happen.
Which Tesla will learn over time.
Old 11-07-13, 10:06 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That's why you don't buy the first model year. Let them work out the bugs and then buy the 2nd generation. The Model S is still the only all electric car I would buy right now. As long as these fires are not instantaneous explosions and more like a slow burn giving occupants time to escape, I don't see it as a major problem. A problem yes, but nothing I can't see being sorted out soon. I've witnessed a couple of car fires on the side of the roadways. I've always wondered how it ignited while passing by since every one I saw so far was solo cars not in an accident.
Old 11-08-13, 12:51 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Which Tesla will learn over time.
sure, will they be Tesla after that though? Right now in a lot of things they are more advanced than anyone else, because they started with a clean sheet.... but they are finding a hard way why these car companies do what they do and how they do it.

there was an article in some big auto publication, forgot which one, on how first Tesla they tried was perfect and now other cars they tried are not so good build quality etc, and they wondered if first cars were simply checked a lot better than afterwards as now they produce 1800 per month and dont have time anymore.

Nevertheless, my point is that Tesla needs to change the way they address problems - previously Musk would publicly attack anyone that complained and now that you sell 25k cars per year, your owners wont always be electric car aficionados and you have to be proactive and fix problems.

In other words, just accept that you have a problem and fix it. it is not a common or normal for car to be so sensitive by road debris, which is plentiful. Sooner they fix it, sooner the press will move on and be forgot. And your owners will be happy about you being proactive.
Old 11-08-13, 01:26 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

sure, will they be Tesla after that though? Right now in a lot of things they are more advanced than anyone else, because they started with a clean sheet.... but they are finding a hard way why these car companies do what they do and how they do it.

there was an article in some big auto publication, forgot which one, on how first Tesla they tried was perfect and now other cars they tried are not so good build quality etc, and they wondered if first cars were simply checked a lot better than afterwards as now they produce 1800 per month and dont have time anymore.

Nevertheless, my point is that Tesla needs to change the way they address problems - previously Musk would publicly attack anyone that complained and now that you sell 25k cars per year, your owners wont always be electric car aficionados and you have to be proactive and fix problems.

In other words, just accept that you have a problem and fix it. it is not a common or normal for car to be so sensitive by road debris, which is plentiful. Sooner they fix it, sooner the press will move on and be forgot. And your owners will be happy about you being proactive.
Similar to how Lexus sent techs to fix the LS400s. The bigger the company gets, the less control you have. You don't see Lexus doing that anymore
Old 11-08-13, 06:52 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Tesla is taking a hit stock wise.
From a high of $194,it is down to $135 right now.

Last edited by Joeb427; 11-08-13 at 06:58 AM.
Old 11-08-13, 08:55 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Similar to how Lexus sent techs to fix the LS400s. The bigger the company gets, the less control you have. You don't see Lexus doing that anymore
yeah, but you dont see Lexus not issuing recall for cars that go bazooka on you. Thats what I am saying, cars are customer relations business, not same as Apple or Google.

Quick Reply: The Tesla discussion