Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

End of the road for French flagship sedans as Citroën C6 production winding down

Old 12-14-12, 11:12 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default End of the road for French flagship sedans as Citroën C6 production winding down

End of the road for French flagship sedans as Citroën C6 production winding down

Even if their avant-garde styling has historically meant that they would never enjoy the sales success of their more staid German counterparts, it was always somehow comforting to know that the French were building large sedans. With a history of nontraditional looks and peerless ride quality (a legacy built on the hydropneumatic suspension of the original Citroën DS), big French cars have always been an acquired taste.

And now it appears buyers with that specific palette won't have a clear place to go, at least for a while. According to Automotive News, production of the Citroën C6 shown above (click to enlarge) is scheduled to cease this month, leaving French buyers (and Francophiles) without a true-bleu option. As the article points out, Renault will still offer its Latitude – effectively a badge-engineered rework of the Korean-built Samsung SM5 – but patriotic consumers have apparently been staying away because it isn't French enough (Renault has sold under 3,800 examples this year).

Renault may yet provide an answer for its displaced countrymen in the form of a new Initiale Paris-branded flagship offering that would be developed on Mercedes-Benz E-Class britches, but it has not yet decided whether it will move forward with the car. The alternative, to follow Citroën and Peugeot in leaving the segment, is probably looking quite appealing now, especially with Europe's continued economic malaise.

Citroën, for its part, is still experimenting with large cars, as evidenced by its stunning Numero Nine concept revealed at this year's Beijing Motor Show. Whether the marque that kicked off the genre with "The Goddess" plans to revisit the large sedan remains to be seen, but it could be a good strategy if it wants to increase its presence in large-sedan-happy China.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/12/14/e...en-c6-product/
Old 12-14-12, 11:26 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Citroen has making some neat French cars lately (such as the awesome DS5).

Hopefully
Citroen will look at a future car for their next flagship saloon (probably something based on the Peugeot 508) =)
Old 12-15-12, 02:28 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Citroen has making some neat French cars lately (such as the awesome DS5).

Hopefully
Citroen will look at a future car for their next flagship saloon (probably something based on the Peugeot 508) =)
they should have made DS5 out of 508 platform... not C4.
Old 12-15-12, 04:05 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always liked the C6. It was a unique car in its class and it was unpretentious compared to its rivals - namely that if focused on comfort hands down. There was no sporting character whatsoever. The C6 was completely tuned to give a comfortable ride of the utmost quality and it did this with ease.

I'm sad to the C6 go, but I do hope that Citroen brings back a large sedan like the Metropolis concept or the Numero 9 concept. I feel that Citroen is a brand that has some amazing and eye-catching designs. Whereas most manufacturers in the mainstream segment offer dull cars, Citroen places emphasis on design, technology and charm.

The Citroen Metropolis concept is absolutely stunning.

As is the Numero 9 concept.

Old 12-16-12, 12:03 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Dustin, do you know anyone with C6? I wonder hows the long term interior especially... my next door neighbor has Vel Satis, and interior is all falling apart...
Old 12-16-12, 04:16 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

I miss the wonderful French cars, I used to see in the Mexican market (though only Peugeot and Renault there).
Old 12-16-12, 04:59 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Dustin, do you know anyone with C6? I wonder hows the long term interior especially... my next door neighbor has Vel Satis, and interior is all falling apart...
A Romanian work colleague has a black Citroen C6 V6 HDI. This is the only person I know who was brave enough to buy this car (and I think his was second hand). I don't know him to well, though. I am aware that he often travels to Romania with it to visit family and friends and has probably racked up quite some mileage. I've never ridden in it, though. They remain a rare sight in Germany.
Old 12-16-12, 06:27 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Not the end of the road. The ultimate French flagship sedan - the Bugatti Galibier is coming.

Old 12-16-12, 06:46 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't see PSA succeeding in luxury. Their products just lack the quality of a BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Audi or Jag.

Renault on the other hand could pull it off if they build cars off Infiniti platforms and mechanicals.