Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Jaguar C-X75 production run canceled

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-12, 12:17 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Jaguar C-X75 production run canceled

Jaguar C-X75 production run canceled

"We feel we could make the car work, but looking at the global austerity measures in place now, it seems the wrong time to launch an 800,000-pound to 1 million-pound supercar."

Those words are from Jaguar Global Brand Director Adrian Hallmark, and as true as they may be, it still stings a little bit. After all, we've been looking forward to the Jaguar C-X75 ever since word came from Jolly Olde that it was green-lit for a short production run.

Some of the cool bits and pieces the world will now be without: a powerful but relatively miserly 1.6-liter turbocharged and supercharged four-cylinder engine, two electric motors driving all four wheels and a carbon fiber chassis developed by Williams F1. Sigh.

All is not lost, however. According to Autocar, Jaguar says five working prototypes will be completed, and as many as three of those will be sold at auction, though we don't know if they will be legal for street use. Jaguar will also be able to carry 60 percent of the C-X75's weight-saving and hybrid powertrain technology in future products.

And, lest we forget, those wealthy individuals holding out for a ridiculously fast and stupendously expensive hybrid supercar can always plunk down some cash for the Porsche 918...

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/12/11/j...-run-canceled/
Old 12-11-12, 12:35 PM
rclark
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't blame them if it wasn't looking like a hot seller, but still - would've been neat to see these bad boys in action!
Old 12-11-12, 12:41 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

They learned from the XJ220's poor launch timing. Full steam ahead on that 3-series fighter, then. :P
Old 12-11-12, 12:49 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Jaguar I think IMO is doing the right thing to cut the production of this expensive car out. They have a poor selection of vehicles to pick from but they have enough of these 2/4 door cars. They only sell so many Jag's in a year. They have to at least make a profit. Jag need's to start selling a lot more Jag's to start selling this one that would compete in nicer vehicles in it's class. Just Imao though. (You probably can tell I'm not a fan of Jaguar...)
Old 12-11-12, 02:22 PM
Hoovey689

Definitely focus on quality and increasing volume with a 3-Series fighting Jag. A huge $$$ segment
Old 12-11-12, 06:09 PM
JessePS

What a shame It would have been one hell of a successor to the XJ220.
Old 12-11-12, 07:46 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

And exactly how they carry forward 60 percent of the technology!?!? What a bizarre statement to make.
Old 06-27-13, 03:55 PM
Hoovey689

Default Jaguar releases C-X75 concept build story

Jaguar releases C-X75 concept build story

If you want to know what was going through the minds of decisionmakers at Jaguar when the company decided to build the batty C-X75 Concept, look no further than the quick video after the jump. Jaguar set about building a car with the performance of a Bugatti Veyron, the electric range of a Chevrolet Volt and the emissions of a Toyota Prius, and they turned to a legendary engineering firm to help make it happen. Williams, the same crew behind Williams F1, helped Jaguar stitch the concept car together, and the result is unlike anything we've seen before.

The twin-charged 1.6-liter four-cylinder mounted amidship is paired with an electric motor at each wheel for a combined output of over 850 horsepower. And, since the whole chassis is hewn from carbon fiber, a production version would've been light enough to give machines like the McLaren P1 and Ferrari LaFerrari a run for their money.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/06/27/j...t-build-story/
Old 06-27-13, 04:26 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

came here to post the video too
good thing i found this thread before posting

such a shame they arent making this
jaguar really needs a halo super car
who knows what Tata is thinking right now but they need to throw in more money to get this brand off the starting line because it practically is going through a restart a couple years ago
Old 06-27-13, 05:07 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Make sense, not many guys would spend $1 million+ on a car that got a 1.6L 4 bangers that sounds like a lawn mower

Look at all the latest $1 million+ cars, LaFerrari V12, 918 is V8, P1 is V8 and Veyron is W16, cylinder count is still and might always will be one of the most important aspect on a hyper car.
Old 06-27-13, 08:19 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BNR34
Make sense, not many guys would spend $1 million+ on a car that got a 1.6L 4 bangers that sounds like a lawn mower

Look at all the latest $1 million+ cars, LaFerrari V12, 918 is V8, P1 is V8 and Veyron is W16, cylinder count is still and might always will be one of the most important aspect on a hyper car.

how so?
this is F1 technology on the street
i think if they charged 1 million dollars for it, there will still be buyers
at $500k, they should be able to sell more than 200 units
Old 06-27-13, 11:49 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I guess I am one of the few who thinks its a mistake. I have watched about 5 videos on the CX75 and I think its very impressive. It is truly a new generation super car like the McLaren P1, La Ferrari, and the Porsche 918. Jaguar as a brand has been aching for some expansion. Their cars seem very competitive but there is something lacking. I think the new Jag F type will bring a nice influx of new Jag customers but Jaguar needs a real super car that can elevate them to the status they had back in the day. I think the new hyper car mixed with reentry into racing would elevate brand image and restore the old Jaguar name. Jaguar was originally known for designing inexpensive super cars ( for their day ). I think they have the luxury thing down and they need to go higher now. Until the F type the brand seemed stagnant. I think a run of 200-350 cars ( so its a bit more exclusive than the competition ) would be an easy goal to reach. If Lexus could sell the LFA then Jaguar should be producing a run of these amazing machines
Old 06-28-13, 12:37 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I guess I am one of the few who thinks its a mistake. I have watched about 5 videos on the CX75 and I think its very impressive. It is truly a new generation super car like the McLaren P1, La Ferrari, and the Porsche 918. Jaguar as a brand has been aching for some expansion. Their cars seem very competitive but there is something lacking. I think the new Jag F type will bring a nice influx of new Jag customers but Jaguar needs a real super car that can elevate them to the status they had back in the day. I think the new hyper car mixed with reentry into racing would elevate brand image and restore the old Jaguar name. Jaguar was originally known for designing inexpensive super cars ( for their day ). I think they have the luxury thing down and they need to go higher now. Until the F type the brand seemed stagnant. I think a run of 200-350 cars ( so its a bit more exclusive than the competition ) would be an easy goal to reach. If Lexus could sell the LFA then Jaguar should be producing a run of these amazing machines
+1

Jaguar is IMO upmarket from Lexus until Ford bought them and screwed them up
they need to move back up to MB price and brand perception levels or even higher

anyone whos a fan of XJ220 are probably wishing that C-X75 wouldve gone into production to continue the lineage and mark another chapter in Jaguar's history books and supercar history books
Old 06-28-13, 12:50 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by UberNoob
+1

Jaguar is IMO upmarket from Lexus until Ford bought them and screwed them up
they need to move back up to MB price and brand perception levels or even higher

anyone whos a fan of XJ220 are probably wishing that C-X75 wouldve gone into production to continue the lineage and mark another chapter in Jaguar's history books and supercar history books
C-X75 pays excellent homage to the legendary XJ220