Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Review: 2013 Ford C-Max

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-12, 01:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default MM Review: 2013 Ford C-Max

A Review of the all-new 2013 Ford C-Max.

http://www.ford.com/cars/cmax/

IN A NUTSHELL: Ford's (apparant) marketing replacement for the old Escape Hybrid, but a markedly different type of vehicle...and why no conventional gas-version?

CLOSEST AMERICAN-MARKET COMPETITOR: Toyota Prius V Wagon

OVERVIEW:

I usually do auto reviews by CL member request, but I also got a number of questions about (and interest in) the new Ford C-Max from several non-CL members, so I decided to do a formal review and also post it on CL for those here who have an interest in it.

First of all, the C-Max, itself, takes its "C" designation from Ford's compact C-size auto-platform, which also underlies both the Euro and American-market Focus sedan/hatchback. In Europe and some other markets, a similiar but smaller "B"-Max vehicle is also available.....based on Ford's B-size subcompact platform that also underlies the Fiesta sedan/hatchback. The B-Max, for several reasons, is (apparantly) not considered suitable for American use, and is not marketed here. Ford had two C-Max vehicles on floor display last January at the D.C. Auto Show (at least they were out on the floor, readily-viewable, and not up on the turntable). Both, however, were locked up by company-policy, so one could not get inside. When I asked why, the excuse was that the interior was not full-grade production, and they didn't want a lot of people at the show putting wear on it. (My view is why bring a vehicle there at all, if you aren't going to actually show it?). Anyhow, I was able to get a Ford regional zone-manager there to unlock it just long enough to let me get a decent look and feel inside (and, no, I didn't wear out the upholstery). The new totally-redesigned 2013 Escape (which I did a review on earlier this year) was also there at the show...but the Ford reps there didn't seem to make it clear that the new Escape would not have a hybrid model, and that the C-Max would be hybrid-only and replace it. I learned that only later on, when Ford announced more of its plans for both vehicles.

Which brings us to the next issue with the C-Max. I don't completely understand Ford's marketing here with this vehicle. I can see why Ford would introduce a small, versatile and efficient hybrid wagon/hatchback that, even with the relatively bargain price of the base-level version, is larger than the Prius Wagon and can carry more...that part makes perfect sense. But three things, to me, DON'T make sense. One, the former Escape Hybrid was a great success in the market-place. It sold well, was reliable, versatile, economical, and had good resale-value....it is strange that Ford chose not to (directly) replace it with a new 2013 model. Second, Ford's plan (as they related to me) is that the C-Max Hybrid (which actually comes in two different hybrid versions, as we'll see in a minute) would replace the former Escape Hybrid...but no plans were made for a conventional, gas-powered, non-hybrid C-Max, at least here in the U.S. That probably wouldn't be a very big deal except for the fact that it obviously pushes up the C-Max's price (you're paying, of course, for all that extra hybrid-hardware, though some tax-credits may be available). However, by hybrid standards (as I'll also state elsewhere), the C-Max's pricing is not bad. Still, the C-Max hybrid, popular as it is likely to be, would probably have even more appeal if an ordinary gas-powered version were available. Third, the C-Max hybrid, though meant as the Escape Hybrid's replacement, is clearly a diferent type of vehicle. It is not an SUV like the Escape, nor is it designed for bad weather (Escapes, of course, have an AWD option that the C-Max lacks). So, once again, as they so often do, the auto marketers leave me scratching my head (or rather, my cap)....so Go Figure.

Well, anyhow, so much for the whys and what-ifs. Let's look at the vehicle as it actually is.

For 2013, in the American market, three versions of the C-Max are offered, a regular gas/electric Hybrid (which comes in two trim-levels, SE and SEL), and an extended- range, plug-in Energi model. All versions use the same Atkinson-cycle 2.0L 4-cylinder gas engine (a number of manufacturers use Atkinson-cycle fours for hybrids) which puts out 141 HP and 129 ft-lbs. of torque. All use advanced lithium-ion hybrid batteries of different sizes...the standard model of 1.4 KWH and the Energi model a much larger one of 7.6 KWH. All use a AC permanent-magnet electric-drive motor. Electric-motor (or total-system) torque is not listed (as is often the case with hybrids), but the specs list a total-system 188 HP. All versions also use the same CVT (continuously-variable) automatic transmission....no manual is offered in the American market. Prices start at $25,200 (SE), $28,200 (SEL), and $32,950 (Energi) models, although a number of both state and Federal alternate-fuel tax-credits may affect what these vehicles ultimately cost out of one's pocket. Ford also seems to be pushing financing/leasing-options on all three versions, too, though some of the financing options on the Energi are done at the dealer rather than factory-level (see the web-site for details). The 33K starting price, IMO, for the Energi model looks fairly attractive compared to the Plug-in Chevrolet Volt's 39K to start, especially consdering that the Volt is a substantially smaller and less-versatile vehicle. I have always felt that the Volt was significanty overpriced, and still do. The 25K base-price on the low-line C-Max SE model, IMO, is not bad considering what you get. Even the long-range Plug-in C-Max's 33K to start still undercuts the Volt by a good 6-7K........and may even include a rebate.

For the review, I chose a Sterling-Gray SE model without a lot of options, which listed for a quite-reasonable $27,215...actually less than what a lot of Prius models list for. For the interior, I wanted to see what Ford offered in the lowest-line trim. Overall, it was a fairly nice vehicle on the road, but the hybrid-drive and braking systems could use some refinement. For details, read on.

MODEL REVIEWED: 2013 Ford C-Max SE Hybrid

BASE PRICE: $25,200 per the vehicle's price-sticker.

OPTIONS:

Equipment Group 201A: $925

Winter Group Package: $295

DESTINATION/FREIGHT: $795 (about average for this class of vehicle)

LIST PRICE AS REVIEWED: $27,215

EXTERIOR COLOR: Sterling Gray Metallic

INTERIOR: Charcoal Black Cloth (medium-gray seat inserts)

DRIVETRAIN: FWD, 2.0L Transversely-mounted Atkinson-Cycle in-line gas-engine four, 141 HP @ 6000 RPM, Torque 129 Ft-lbs. @ 4000 RPM, AC Permanent-Magnet electric-drive motor, total-system 188 HP, 1.4 KWH Lithium-Ion Hybrid-drive battery, CVT (Continuously-Variable) Transmission.

EPA MILEAGE RATING:

At the time I write this, all of the EPA numbers haven't been posted yet, but Ford has 47 City/Highway/Combined on its website for the standard version, with the numbers yet to be determined for the Plug-in version. The one I reviewed also had 47/47/47 on the window-sticker.

PLUSSES:

Reasonably comfortable ride.

Fairly good wind-noise control.

Some road/tire noise....but not excessive.

Moderately quick steering response for this type of vehicle.

Relatively good CVT transmission charactristics...no motorboating/rubber-banding.

Gas engine quickly recharges hybrid battery-pack.

Torquey electric motor has good low-speed acceleration.

Handy convex side-mirror-inserts for blind-spots.

Excellent paint job.

Some nice paint-colors offered....plus the usual funeral-home shades.

Easy front-seat entry/exit.

Nice fore/aft shift-lever motion.

Excellent front headroom/ good rear headroom. (without sunroof)

Comfortable front seats.

Durable-feeling, high-quality seat fabric.

Nice grade of seat leather (on SEL models).

Reasonably easy-to-read electronic hybrid dash-gauges.

Killer stereo-sound for this price-class.

Fairly good rear-visibility except for thick D-Pillars.

Superb cargo-area materials.

Fairly roomy cargo area desite the hybrid battery-pack.

Relatively bargain-pricing on some SE versions.

$1000 rebates currently available on some versions.

Tax-credits and HOV priviledges may be available in some regions.

MINUSES:

No conventional gas-engine version.

Jumpy electric-motor starting from rest.

Overly-sensitive regenerative-brake pedal at low speeds.

Marked body-roll on sharp steering-input.

No specific CVT (gear) steps for auto-manual shifting like on Subarus and Nissans.

Tight underhood compartment (but this is a non-issue with many buyers).

Underhood manual prop-rod.

Hard-to-deice windshield wipers.

Difficult-to-release inside hood latch.

Tight rear legroom.

Unpleasantly hard-feeling sun visors.

Somewhat flimsy-feeling steering-wheel buttons.

Awkward-to turn intermittent-wiper adjuster.

Small, split-level glovebox.

Overstyled (IMO) center-dash and buttons (on lower-line versions)

Difficult-to-use SYNC/MyFord Touch system.

Very poor rear-seating comfort despite high-quality fabric.

Long reach for the center-dash vent adjusters.

Non-locking gas-filler-door.

Compressed-air bottle for a flat tire....no temporary or real spare tire.

Long-term reliability and resale value undetermined.

5/60 powertrain warranty for non-hybrid compoments much shorter than that of 5/100 GM/Chrysler competition.

EXTERIOR:

The C-Max exterior, of course, is rather conservatively done, but, of course, it is not intended to be a Ferrari/Lamborghini exotic that will turn heads. I generally liked its muted, tasteful (IMO) lines, although it's basically not a vehicle that would tend to keep me awake, either, while looking at it, even with the bright-red paint color available. The eight paint-colors offered included two shades I liked (Blue Candy and Ruby-Red)....but the rest, IMO, were mortuary-grade. The paint job, as with most newer vehicles, was quite-well done, and (though I considered it one of those mortuary-shades), the Sterling Gray Metallic, a medium-gray color, had an deep and impressive-looking metallic-pattern to it. The exterior sheet-metal was reasonably solid-feeling, and the four doors shut with a sound and feel that I would say is right on the borderline between tinniness and a solid thunk. The shape of the doors, seat-height, and ride-height all combine wery well to make ingress/egress quite easy (I'll discuss that more below). Like many other Ford products, the C-Max has the handy capless refueling system, but there is no lock for the gas filler-door. I liked the twin side-mirrors, which included not only integrated turn-signal flashers, but, like some other Ford products, also included small convex inserts for blind-spot detection....a safety-asset, IMO. I didn't like the way, though that the windshield wipers park very low, down under the back edge of the hood....that can, under some snow/ice conditions, make them difficult to clear the frost off of. Visibility out the front, through the huge glass windshield, was excellent.....one could also see a part of the hood for parking-reference, which is not always possible on some vehicles. There are small triangle-shaped front-quarter windows in the front A-pillars (we are likely to see more and more of them as vehicles adopt larger A-pillars for roll-over/roof-collapse standards). But the small windows in the C-Max don't impede the angle-forward visibility as much as they do in some other vehicles. As usual nowadays with newer vehicles, the bean-counters economized on the c-Max by not providing standard body-side mouldings for parking-lot protection....but much of the cost-cutting here was made up for in the superb cargo area, which I'll get to later.

UNDERHOOD:

Open up the relatively short-length hood (the under-dash hood release on my test car took a Hulk-Hogan-strong yank to finally release the catch) and one is greeted with a more or less typical lower-priced hybrid engine compartment. There is a nice insulation pad under the hood itself, but one must fumble with a manual prop-rod (Ford, insists on using manual-rods even in top-level 50K Explorers). The 2.0L in-line four and electric-drive motor, in tandem, fit in underhood petty well, though, because of the way that the body and front-end sheet metal are designed, the whole gas/electric motor assembly is set back somewhat and partially hidden under the edge of the firewall. That, of course, (and the gas engine's plastic-cover) makes some of the components difficult to get to....as does the somewhat tight space forward of the engine-assembly. But, as with many hybrids, most or all of the work underhood is going to be done by technicians with special tools and procedures for getting to difficult places, so the user-unfriendliness for the average owner is probably not a big deal. For the things some owners may be checking themselves (such as fluid levels), dipsticks, filler-caps, and fluid-reservoirs are generally well-marked and easy to access.

INTERIOR:

The first thing one notices about the C-Max's interior is relatively simple ease of getting in and out of the front seats (somewhat less-so in back). Because of that, this might be a good vehicle for older folks with weak backs, legs, feet, etc.... to consider. The high and wide front doors lie just a few inches off the ground, so it is a nice easy step-up....but the front seats themselves are high enough so that one does not have to contort or stoop getting in and out like with a low-slung sports-car. Once inside, the dash and seats seem at least partly-borrowed from its new sister 2013 Ford Escape........not surprising, since automakers, where possible, often use a common parts-bin to cut costs. The overall material-quality and hardware inside seems quite good, especially in the cloth seat upholstery where the fabric feels iron-clad durable. My test-car, despite the "Black" cloth interior listed on the window-sticker, actually had large medium-gray fabric seat-inserts that broke up the otherwise coal-mine blackness inside. The front seats, IMO, were quite comfortable and supportive (another asset for older persons). I tried both leather (SEL) and cloth (SE) versions, and I thought the cloth seats, up front, were slightly better-shaped for comfort up front for a guy my size. In back, though, it was quite another story. Like on the sister 2013 Escape, I found the C-Max's rear seats, by my standards, to be not only uncomfortable but borderline awful. The leather rear seats, IMO, were slightly less uncomfortable (and slightly more tolerable) than the cloth, but neither one is a place where you would want to put anybody except maybe your Mother-in-Law (just kidding, of course), or the guy from the credit-billing department that keeps harassing you on the phone. Both leather and cloth rear seats have thin STIFF padding, are overly-flat, and have uncomfortable bulges/contours in the seat-backs. Both, of course, fold for added cargo volume in back.....my advice is to keep both of them down if you don't absolutely need them. By contrast, The stereo sound quality, by lower-priced vehicle standards, was, IMO, a real killer...almost on a par with some of the better Lexus units.

Headroom is excellent in front, especally in SE versions like on my test-car without a sunroof. Headroom, without the sunroof, is also quite good in the rear (far better than the seats themselves), but legroom can be very tight if the front-seats aren't moved well-forward. The twin sun-visors are thick and durable, have nice vanity-lights, but the hard surface is unpleasant. The headliner itself has a nice fabric and is pleasant-feeling. The steering wheel (quite simliar to the one in the Escape/Focus) is solid and substantial-feeling, comfortable to hold, and has excellent spoke-inserts that look like real polished-aluminum despite the fact that they are plastic. But the wheel's radio/volume/SYNC buttons are flimsy black cheap plastic rockers that feel poorly-attached when you use them. The door-panel trim seems of decent-quality, but was a little too monotone-black for my tastes. One could tell that much of the dashboard, especially in the low-line SE version without the center-dash options, came from the sister Escape/Focus. It has more or less the same awkward (IMO) slanted, over-styled button-group. And the center-dash also, like the new Escape, has thumbwheel-adjusters for the vents that are located rather far forward and, for some persons, requires a stretch to reach and operate them. The twin stalks on the steering wheel seem reasonably solid-feeling, but the way the wheel-adjuster for the intermittent wipers fits into the stalk makes it somewhat awkward to operate with your thumb and forefingers. I liked the nice fore/aft motion of the transmission's shift-lever, which, typical for this type of vehicle, protrudes from the lower center-dash, but it lacks pre-programmed manual auto-shift positions that CVTs from Subaru and Nissan have (I'll get more into the transmission below). The glove box is rather small, and has two even smaller box-compartments inside. Since my SE test-car did not have the upmarket MYTouch center-dash system and/or the other options it includes, I won't bother go into the well-known problems and customer complaints with that system....it is documented enough in plenty of other sources.

CARGO COMPARTMENT/TRUNK:

Open up the rear-hatch-lid (my test-car had a power-closing option), and it is clear that Ford didn't cheap out in the cargo-compartment, except for the absurd compressed-air Fix-a-Flat bottle for flat tires. In fact, IMO, more attention and comfort seems to been paid to the luggage and cargo riding in the trunk than to persons riding in the back seat. On the floor lies a silky-soft/plush but yet durable-feeling black carpeted folding panel-cover, which includes what seem to be real polished-metal chrome tie-down rings. The walls are not carpeted per-se, but have nice pleasant-feeling surfaces. A nice side-cubby-compartment has a built-in durable-feeling black fabric stretch-net to hold things in. On top lies a removable cargo pull-cover and roll-spring mechanism that feels and operates solid enough to last 30 years...this in contrast to the cargo-cover on some of the newer Prius models, which feels like it's going to tear off in your hands. I've seen full-luxury vehicles that didn't have cargo-area materials this impressive. Very, very well-done, Ford...especially on a 25K vehicle.

ON THE ROAD:

On the SE model, one starts up the hybrid powertrain with, unusual for a hybrid, a conventional ignition key and side-column ignition-switch. Once the system is computer-scanned and ready to drive off, a green light appears in the lower-right of the hybrid-gauge cluster. The electronic hybrid dash-gauges behind the steering wheel are reasonably clear and easy to read, though I generally prefer traditional analog or analog-shapes. My test-car had enough of a battery charge left on it that the system took off at first in full-electric mode. But the torquey electric motor (electric motors typically produce maximum torque at near 0 RPM) had quite a jump to it starting out from rest. Just touch the pedal lightly and, if you don't have at least several feet of space behind the car in front of you, it could be a couple of crunched bumpers (No, that didn't actually happen to me). Conversely, the brake pedal, at low speeds, felt even more touchy and sensitive than on some other hybrids I've sampled....it took some practice to drive the C-max reasonably smoothly at low speeds in stop-and-go conditions. The brake pedal was reasonably well-located, relative to the gas, for my big size-15 clod-hopper shoe to fit in and out easily. When the gas engine does cut in to recharge the battery, one can hear some engine noise, but it is faint and not obtrusive at all. I noticed, on the hybrid-gauges, that the gas engine, when it runs, recharges the hybrid battery-pack quite rapidly...the battery-gauge went from 1/4 to 3/4 in the space of just a few minutes. Coming to a full stop, of course, with the battery charged, means an eerie silence with almost everything shut off.....you'll certainly hear Mother-in-Law in back complaining about that seat (again, just kidding). With the gas and electric motor in tandem, of course, acceleraton is even more pronounced. The C-Max may not be as quick as its sister Mustang GT or Boss 302 sitting down at the other end of the Ford showroom, but it will definitely get out of its own way if it has to.

I generally liked The CVT transmission, despite its not having an automanual-shift mode or pre-programmed ratios/paddles like some of the Subaru and Nissan CVTs. On my test-car, I did not notice any significant rubber-banding, motorboating, or other uneven drive-charicteristics (except for the jumpy electric motor from rest), and it performed smoothly and evenly. I was also generally impressed with the chassis/suspension, for this class of vehicle. Ride quality was stable and reasonably smooth over bumps (the 55-series all-season tires helped), and steering response was reasonably quick. Sharp steering input did produce noticeable body roll, even at lower speeds, but that is to be expected on a relatively softly-sprung vehicle like this with a higher-than-average center of gravity. Wind-noise is generally well-controlled, and, though there was some audible road/tire noise, it wasn't excessive.

THE VERDICT:

Given the choice between the American-market version of C-Max and its primary Toyota Prius-V Wagon competition as they are now, I'd probably take the C-Max in a pinch. The C-Max is roomier and more comfortable up front, especially in the cloth-version, has a good power reserve from the hybrid drivetrain, has Queen-Elizabeth-grade cargo area materials, generally better interior hardware (especially in the cargo area), more easily-read hybrid gauges than all of the Prius models except the small Prius-C, available rebates (as we speak), and will probably be easier to deal on with the salespeople in the showroom. On the other hand, though, it is hard to argue against the solidly-established and excellent reliability record of all Prius models, including the V-Wagon, where the C-Max is new and untested. The seamless-operating Prius hybrid powertrain/braking systems are in contrast to the relatively unrefined systems in the C-Max. And, of course, there is the high resale-value of a Prius (and currently no idea what a used C-max will be worth in a few years, or how reliable it will be).

Ford, IMO, as I stated above, with the C-Max, also needs to work on two main things....First, considering a conventional gas or diesel version (I believe they are available in Europe), and make the hybrid electric-motor and regenerative braking system a little smoother and more-even responding at lower speeds. True, the Prius-V Wagon does not have a conventional gas or diesel version either, but Toyota already has the Matrix hatchback to handle that function. Ford has no directly-comparable vehicle to the Matrix in the American market, though the 5-door Focus hatchback comes fairly close. But, overall, considering what you DO get, I think the C-Max is a bargain, especially in the low-line SE trim. For the money, I'd recommend it.

And, as always, Happy car-shopping.

MM

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-05-13 at 10:03 AM.
Old 12-08-12, 06:21 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Great review Mike, I really like the C-Max. Agreed, odd omission on no gas version. If I lived in the city, this would be one of the top cars on my list. Other than the Prius V, I think the Mazda5 microvan is also close in terms of utility like the aforementioned albeit sans the EV part.
Old 12-08-12, 07:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Great review Mike,
Thanks.

It was quite a long wait to actually see them at local dealershps.....they were first unveiled here at the D.C auto show nearly a year ago.

Agreed, odd omission on no gas version.
....... and also the omission of a new Escape Hybrid for 2013. Everyone connected with Ford seems to have a different answer/opinion on that one.

Other than the Prius V, I think the Mazda5 microvan is also close in terms of utility like the aforementioned albeit sans the EV part.
Well, at first, I did consider listing the Mazda5 as a potential competitor, but its longer length, 2+2+2 three-row seating, and conventional gas-engine pretty much eliminated it. Same with the now-discontinued Kia Rondo, which was more or less in the same class. As I see it, right now, in the American market, only the Prius-V Wagon is true competition for the hybrid C-Max.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-08-12 at 07:21 PM.
Old 12-08-12, 07:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

While I was at the Ford shop today, after I got done with the C-Max, I briefly checked out a new Fusion in the showroom. Quite impressive.........I'm not usually a fan of the droop-rear rooflines you see on many newer sedans, but Ford, IMO, did a nice job on the new Fusion's styling. And the front end/grille gives it a slight touch of Aston Martin. This car, I predict, will probably sell on styling alone....but the sheet metal/doors, typical of many new or major redesigns, seems to have lost some solidness from the previous version. I'll save any other comments for a full-review later on....and I hope to see some more Fusions at the D.C. auto show.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-10-12 at 08:47 AM.
Old 12-10-12, 08:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I'm not sure if I'll get to any more formal reviews for the rest of this year or not, though there are a few vehicles I may take a look at and test drive. The new Fusion, as I stated, looks interesting, and I want to sample the Verano Turbo to see what changes Buick made in the drivetrain and suspension.