Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Insideline: 2013 Avalon Hybrid: 46 City MPG of awesome!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-12, 05:16 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
To me the ES has opportunities with the door panels and the area around the gearshift. I find the dash amazingly well built. Buick is a clear step or two behind with interior materials.

Also an ES will hold up better over time than an Avalon.
They'll hold up the exact same time, which will either way be a long time.
Old 12-09-12, 12:21 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Could the difference in interior materials be due to the fact that the Avalon is built in NA and hence not affected by the appreciation in the yen and therefore less affected by cost cutting that has plagued the interior of the new ES?

Looks like the American component of Toyota/Lexus : Calty design and the NA factories, are catching up and close to surpassing the Japanese components. After-all it was the NA Lexus executives who persuaded Akio Toyoda not to kill the Lexus GS and instead push the GS down an even higher quality, more dynamic,better handling path. Result : a far better GS and a far better Lexus product compared to the previous generation.Mostly due to the American influence.

Now the Avalon comes out (mostly American designed and made wholly in US) and it's stealing the spotlight from the mostly Japanese designed and constructed ES.

Perhaps Akio Toyoda should look more to his American advisors and execs for advice for future Lexus products.

Perhaps the best solution :

American Designers, Japanese Engineers during the prototype testing phase, Japanese Quality Control managers, Plants in America but under Japanese QC = American Flair/Creativity + Japanese obsession with quality and engineering = WIN WIN for all

Oh yes, forgot to add :

Get the German TMG Team (the ones that built the TMG 650hp Lexus LS) involved when developing the F-Sport versions of the next IS/GS/LS

Last edited by natnut; 12-09-12 at 12:30 AM.
Old 12-09-12, 10:07 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,642 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
Could the difference in interior materials be due to the fact that the Avalon is built in NA and hence not affected by the appreciation in the yen and therefore less affected by cost cutting that has plagued the interior of the new ES?
that would indeed be a big change from the past and you might be right!

American Designers, Japanese Engineers during the prototype testing phase, Japanese Quality Control managers, Plants in America but under Japanese QC = American Flair/Creativity + Japanese obsession with quality and engineering = WIN WIN for all

Oh yes, forgot to add :

Get the German TMG Team (the ones that built the TMG 650hp Lexus LS) involved when developing the F-Sport versions of the next IS/GS/LS
great idea!
Old 12-09-12, 10:20 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Looks like the American component of Toyota/Lexus : Calty design and the NA factories, are catching up and close to surpassing the Japanese components. After-all it was the NA Lexus executives who persuaded Akio Toyoda not to kill the Lexus GS and instead push the GS down an even higher quality, more dynamic,better handling path. Result : a far better GS and a far better Lexus product compared to the previous generation.Mostly due to the American influence.

Now the Avalon comes out (mostly American designed and made wholly in US) and it's stealing the spotlight from the mostly Japanese designed and constructed ES.

Perhaps Akio Toyoda should look more to his American advisors and execs for advice for future Lexus products.

Oh yes, forgot to add :

I think first and most important, Toyota had a serious interior quality perception and that is the reason as to why the interior of the new Avalon is all out assault on quality, if Toyota can silence the critics with the interior of the Avalon, then that critical success will trickle down when they release the lower end cars like the Corolla and Rav4 etc etc.

The interior of the GS pleased everyone and because of that, people and the press were more likely to accept LS460 2.0 as well as ES350.

As for the yen, yes that would have an after which is probably why we see faux leather and more harder plastics.
Old 12-09-12, 11:06 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I think first and most important, Toyota had a serious interior quality perception and that is the reason as to why the interior of the new Avalon is all out assault on quality, if Toyota can silence the critics with the interior of the Avalon, then that critical success will trickle down when they release the lower end cars like the Corolla and Rav4 etc etc.

The interior of the GS pleased everyone and because of that, people and the press were more likely to accept LS460 2.0 as well as ES350.

As for the yen, yes that would have an after which is probably why we see faux leather and more harder plastics.
sure, but they will never silence all critics anyway... lots of euro mags said that GS interior is cheap compared to the germans :-).
Old 12-09-12, 11:48 AM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh yes, forgot to add :

I've said it before that the American execs know what is what and that the Japanese ones are a bit out of touch. I mean, when you're across the Pacific it's hard not to be.
Old 12-09-12, 01:31 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by 84Cressida
I've said it before that the American execs know what is what and that the Japanese ones are a bit out of touch. I mean, when you're across the Pacific it's hard not to be.
in reality, it doesnt work that way... various Toyota design studios "fight" between themselves to get the design jobs, both inside out.
Old 12-10-12, 04:33 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was just stating my issue with the nuluxe. I won't keep going on about it as I have just made my opinion known.
ES350, Avalon. Nulux, leather. Geez. I'll repeat what LexBob2 said back on the first page of this thread. The Avalon is Toyota's flagship sedan. It's the best and finest Toyota has to offer. It could be called the epitome of Toyota's luxury offering. It is, without a doubt, the finest Toyota has to offer.
The ES350 is Lexus's entry level luxury sedan, meaning, it's the least expensive car they offer. It is by far NOT the best and finest luxury sedan they offer. If you want to nit-pick and be fair, let's compare flagships, shall we?
Old 12-10-12, 05:42 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Talked to a friend who is a sales manager and mentioned the Avalon.He works at the top selling Toyota dealer in the northeast and he told no discounting on the Avalon right now.He has 5 in stock and none are loaded but they're coming in now.
Old 12-10-12, 06:30 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Talked to a friend who is a sales manager and mentioned the Avalon.He works at the top selling Toyota dealer in the northeast and he told no discounting on the Avalon right now.He has 5 in stock and none are loaded but they're coming in now.
That sounds about right. I'm sure supplies will be tight initially and then loosen up a bit after the car has been out for a while, then better deals can be found.

It seems like ES supplies are building and some buyers are getting better discounts on them.
Old 12-10-12, 11:34 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS350jet
ES350, Avalon. Nulux, leather. Geez. I'll repeat what LexBob2 said back on the first page of this thread. The Avalon is Toyota's flagship sedan. It's the best and finest Toyota has to offer. It could be called the epitome of Toyota's luxury offering. It is, without a doubt, the finest Toyota has to offer.
The ES350 is Lexus's entry level luxury sedan, meaning, it's the least expensive car they offer. It is by far NOT the best and finest luxury sedan they offer. If you want to nit-pick and be fair, let's compare flagships, shall we?
The ES and Avalon an not flagships, they appeal to the same type of buyer, both are the same but the big difference is that they both offer a completely different experience.
Old 12-10-12, 12:02 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ES and Avalon an not flagships, they appeal to the same type of buyer, both are the same but the big difference is that they both offer a completely different experience.
I guess you never read my post, as I never called the ES a flagship.
Perhaps it's me who's been misinformed, so please, refresh my memory; What is Toyot'a flagship sedan called?
Old 12-10-12, 01:00 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Perhaps it's me who's been misinformed, so please, refresh my memory; What is Toyot'a flagship sedan called?
It makes no difference if the Avalon is the flagship of Toyota or not, sure the Avalon is their flagship sedan as they call it, but the important thing is that the Avalon competes head on with the ES350. I can't wait for the comparos.
Old 12-10-12, 01:36 PM
LexFather

lol..see why I left

It makes no difference if the Avalon is the flagship of Toyota or not, sure the Avalon is their flagship sedan as they call it, but the important thing is that the Avalon competes head on with the ES350. I can't wait for the comparos.
You missed the entire point. AGAIN. You missed his point trying to prove some of your usual points to insult/downplay Lexus.

Read what they said. Instead of us talking about how amazing the Avalon is you have destroyed the thread harping on NuLuxe on the ES

Old 12-10-12, 03:31 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,642 Posts

ok, enough about the ES. this thread is about the Avalon. no doubt there will be a thread about a comparison when one happens.

Quick Reply: Insideline: 2013 Avalon Hybrid: 46 City MPG of awesome!