Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next Major Auto Shows...L.A., Detroit, D.C.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-12, 10:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Next Major Auto Shows...L.A., Detroit, D.C.

For those of you interested or planing to attend the next three major American shows, here are the web-sites and info. As usual, I will be at the D.C. show for (probably) three or four days.

For those of you planning to attend the D.C. show, you can (usually) get free or reduced-price show passes at any local D.C.-area car dealership, starting about a week or so before the actual show itself (WANADA, a local coalition of dealerships, actually sponsors the show).

The L.A. show, of course, is already in progress.

(L.A.) http://www.laautoshow.com/

(Detroit) http://www.naias.com/

(D.C.) http://www.washingtonautoshow.com/
Old 12-05-12, 10:54 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Went to the LA Autoshow this past weekend. Pretty good! Seeing the LF-CC & LF-LC in person alone was worth the ticket!
Old 12-05-12, 11:10 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

It's going to be a great season. I was lucky enough to work the Lexus Booth at the SF Autoshow over Thanksgiving weekend. The Tour mates are great
Old 12-05-12, 11:32 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

D.C. is a major circuit show?
Old 12-05-12, 11:43 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Went to the LA Autoshow this past weekend. Pretty good! Seeing the LF-CC & LF-LC in person alone was worth the ticket!
It sure was.

It was good to see their proportions. LF-LC was a mini-LFA, and the LF-CC surely had potential to be a new model based on the IS.
Old 12-05-12, 12:09 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm going to try and use my friend's flight benefits to go to Detroit for a day ... want to see the 3IS in person
Old 12-05-12, 01:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by whoster
D.C. is a major circuit show?
The D.C. show is now considered a borderline Class-A show. Formerly (about 7-8 years ago) it was a lower-ranking Class-B. The proximity of the national government, of course (where Congress actually makes a lot of the auto-regulations) has helped a lot.

L.A. and Detroit, of course, are solid Class-A's. The Detroit show is still considered the nation's largest and most important.....though both the L.A./SoCal and D.C.-Baltimore areas easily trump the Detroit area in car sales. The huge D.C. area sells roughly six times the number of new vehicles as the Detroit area......and the even larger SoCal region ten times as many.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-05-12 at 01:53 PM.
Old 12-05-12, 01:58 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The D.C. show is now considered a borderline Class-A show. Formerly (about 7-8 years ago) it was a lower-ranking Class-B. The proximity of the national government, of course (where Congress actually makes a lot of the auto-regulations) has helped a lot.

L.A. and Detroit, of course, are solid Class-A's. The Detroit show is still considered the nation's largest and most important.....though both the L.A./SoCal and D.C.-Baltimore areas easily trump the Detroit area in car sales. The huge D.C. area sells roughly six times the number of new vehicles as the Detroit area......and the even larger SoCal region ten times as many.
The Chicago Auto Show is supposedly the largest in terms of attendance and display area. In recent years it hasn't had too much in terms of major roll outs, other than Ford since they have a plant in the area. Occasionally there will be one or two others.

In any case it's a good way to spend a cold February day.
Old 12-05-12, 02:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
The Chicago Auto Show is supposedly the largest in terms of attendance and display area. In recent years it hasn't had too much in terms of major roll outs, other than Ford since they have a plant in the area. Occasionally there will be one or two others.
The Detroit show, though, is still where the largest concentrations of the auto-press, magazine-writers, and company-execs gather. Though not having a complete monopoly on new-vehicle-unveilings, it is still the show where that is most likely to happen. I've posted, at length, in the past, about how the Detroit show's opulence, IMO, because of habit and tradition, is now outdated and has far outlasted the true influence of the Detroit area. Even the Big-3 major domestic corporations, once-headquartered there, have spread out more to other areas as well. Chrysler, for example, is now owned by an Italian company....and Ford and GM have offices, plants, and branches all over the country.
Old 12-05-12, 02:13 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't wait for Detroit
Old 12-05-12, 02:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26
I can't wait for Detroit
Like it or not....it's still the most likely place for new-vehicle introductions.
Old 12-05-12, 02:25 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like it or not....it's still the most likely place for new-vehicle introductions.
+1, really wanna see the new IS and G, but its also rumored that the production Acura NSX will be at Detroit. I'm also interested too see if Toyota will show off a new Supra concept. If not, maybe 2013 Tokyo Motor Show?
Old 12-05-12, 02:39 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26
+1, really wanna see the new IS and G, but its also rumored that the production Acura NSX will be at Detroit. I'm also interested too see if Toyota will show off a new Supra concept. If not, maybe 2013 Tokyo Motor Show?
If the NSX is slated for 2015, I don't see it bowing at Detroit
Old 12-05-12, 02:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
If the NSX is slated for 2015, I don't see it bowing at Detroit
We'll wait and see, but it might (?) be up on a turntable away, locked, and partly-restricted from public-access. Auto companies typically (but not always) bring new models down on on the floor and unlock them unless it is still more than 12 months (1 calendar year) away from official introduction....then they keep them still under at least some wraps. But they can (and sometimes do) put them, locked, up on the turntable (or rope them off on the floor and lock them) at any time. Chevy, for example, was paranoid about show-access to the latest-generation Camaro a few years ago before it was unofficially unveiled.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-05-12 at 02:53 PM.
Old 12-05-12, 02:58 PM
Hoovey689

We'll wait and see, but it might (?) be up on a turntable away, locked, and partly-restricted from public-access. Auto companies typically (but not always) bring new models down on on the floor and unlock them unless it is still more than 12 months (1 calendar year) away from official introduction....then they keep them still under at least some wraps. But they can (and sometimes do) put them, locked, up on the turntable (or rope them off on the floor and lock them) at any time. Chevy, for example, was paranoid about show-access to the latest-generation Camaro a few years ago before it was unofficially unveiled.
perhaps another concept, but I don't see them being anywhere near production on something as high line as the NSX which was only recently confirmed. I don't think it has anything to do with show-access

Quick Reply: Next Major Auto Shows...L.A., Detroit, D.C.