Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lincoln video teases new things to come... but what?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-12, 07:49 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Lincoln video teases new things to come... but what?

Lincoln video teases new things to come... but what?

Lincoln has released a new video teasing... something. In what looks to be an advertisement for more advertising, the company has worked up a clip featuring everything from a drum solo and a flying hawk to Abraham Lincoln himself. The video shows a few shots of what looks to be an MKZ and promises more news is coming on Monday.

What does the company have up its sleeves? Rumors are bouncing around the web like so many ill-informed ping-pong *****, and cover everything from an alternative powertrain for the MKZ to a new two-door model – noise that is underscored by the presence of a Ford Mustang chassis lurking in the background of the video around the 27-second mark (see screen capture above).

Could Lincoln be considering a rear-wheel drive luxury coupe built on the pony's bones? A move like that seems awfully unlikely, but it certainly wouldn't hurt our feelings

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/12/02/l...hings-to-come/
Old 12-02-12, 07:55 PM
Hoovey689

Lincoln needs to forget this "Smart than Luxury" (similar to Acura) and offer a full line-up toe to toe against German models. That is by first offering core models. Three RWD sedans in small/compact, midsize, and full-size. Three luxury sport utes in small, midsize and full-size. Two coupes with vert options. Were talking 3, 5, 7, X1, X3, X5, 4 and 6. I'd like to see a range of EcoBoost engines and a burly Coyote V8 range topper all mated to 8-Speeds. I fear I may keep dreaming though.
Old 12-03-12, 06:59 AM
LexFather

Maybe just start fresh even dropping the name Lincoln. I just don't see te mkz setting the world or segment on fire

Old 12-03-12, 08:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I'm not one that believes that music and stage-effects sells cars....or, if it does, people are buying them for the wrong reasons. The proof, as I see it, is in the pudding. I usually don't form a strong opinion on any car (especially a totally new or redesigned one), until I have a chance to see it, inspect it, and (especially) test-drive it. I've seen too many cases where I expected, from the ad/media-hype, more than was actually delivered...or, in some cases like with the Buick Verano and Kia Optima, where I was, in actuality, much more impressed with the car than I initially thought I would be when it was first unveiled.
Old 12-03-12, 11:32 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I wish Lincoln well as they try to reinvent themselves. They have a tough job ahead of them to broaden the market for their cars. I like the looks of the new MKZ, hopefully, their core buyers and A LOT of new customers feel the same.
Old 12-03-12, 11:54 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great. I video about the making of a video about the re-making of a brand.

This is a terrible attempt at trying to build hype and anticipation for something that people aren't even thinking about. This seems more like a video for employees at Lincoln and the hopes of getting their own people excited about the so-called turn around.
Old 12-03-12, 11:01 PM
Haitwun
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The video promised something on Dec 3. Well, today is Dec 3. They are calling themselves the Lincoln Motor Company and will unveil 4 new models over 4 years.

Edsel Ford knew something about building a fine automobile: That you don't create a great luxury car by beginning with that intention. Instead, he simply built a car that he would want to drive.
This is how Lincoln started. It's how we'll become great again.
Starting with a new design studio, four disarmingly fresh models over the next four years and a new focus on the most important part of the car: You, the driver.
We've reinvented the wheel, by placing you at its center.
Introducing the Lincoln Motor Company. Pleased to meet you all over again
http://www.lincoln.com/helloagain/introducing/
Old 12-04-12, 09:15 AM
dc893
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This video was made to advertise the Lincoln brand not a specific vehicle. I think its a better commercial then they have had in the past. Lincoln has to do something different. Look at the advertising and vehicle line ups they have had in recent history. A few nice models in there, but nothing great. I think if they keep up the new advertising plans and add some new vehicles Lincoln has the potential to be very successful.

I think the split grill looks great. You can't mistake it for anything else on the road. Lots of people seem to think it's ugly though. I believe Lincoln is heading in a better direction than it was a few years ago.
Old 12-04-12, 01:11 PM
Hoovey689

Default RWD Lincolns are coming, fate depends partly on MKZ success

RWD Lincolns are coming, fate depends partly on MKZ success

The product portfolio at Lincoln may seem a bit sparse at the moment, but if a report is to be believed, new products are on the way. TheDetroitBureau.com spoke with sources at Lincoln and Ford, who claimed the American premium brand is working on, perhaps more than one, rear-wheel-drive vehicle.

Lincoln would likely platform-share with the next-generation Ford Mustang to develop those RWD offerings in the early going. Moving forward, the report indicates that Lincoln could take the lead on other rear-drive projects in the future. As the RWD architecture continues to take shape, "most or all" of the front-wheel-drive portfolio will also be offered with all-wheel drive as an option, ala Audi.

But wait, there's more! The report also suggests that a replacement for the full-size MKS is on the way, as well as a new Navigator and a luxury crossover based on the current Ford Escape.

These plans sound bold and optimistic, but they all hinge on the performance of the MKZ. Ford CEO Alan Mulally has not been shy about the possibility of abandoning Lincoln if things don't turn around soon. Currently the only all-new product in the brand's stable is the MKS, and it will need to be an immediate sales success for any talk of any future product to come to fruition.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/12/04/r...n-mkz-success/
Old 12-04-12, 01:43 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

I just read a C&D review of the new MKZ. They tested a loaded AWD model that stickered over $51K and weighed over 4,100 lbs.! The car had over $13K in upgrades.

Overall the review was so-so. It looked nice in the pictures tho.
Old 12-04-12, 01:50 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I just read a C&D review of the new MKZ. They tested a loaded AWD model that stickered over $51K and weighed over 4,100 lbs.! The car had over $13K in upgrades.

Overall the review was so-so. It looked nice in the pictures tho.
I built a EcoBoost 2.0 AWD MKZ last night. With 11K in options, stickered at $49K. Looks good in Tuxedo Black hah
Old 12-04-12, 02:10 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I built a EcoBoost 2.0 AWD MKZ last night. With 11K in options, stickered at $49K. Looks good in Tuxedo Black hah
I've never seen a black one, just the red that's shown in all the pre-launch pics, but I imagine it looks good in black. The car tested by C&D had the 3.7 V6. Gas mileage wasn't too good, something like 18/26.
Old 12-04-12, 02:21 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I've never seen a black one, just the red that's shown in all the pre-launch pics, but I imagine it looks good in black. The car tested by C&D had the 3.7 V6. Gas mileage wasn't too good, something like 18/26.
Funny enough the same 3.7L V6 is found in the mustang and it makes 305hp 280lbft and gets 19/31 vs the MKZ's 300hp 277lbft 18/26. However like you mentioned the 4100lbs in the MKZ is immense. The Mustang comes in at 3523lbs. So blame a few hundred lbs and the lack of an 8-speed auto in the MKZ. I think its overall a nice car, but with no spectacular numbers it doesn't have much to stand out in a growing crowd
Old 12-04-12, 02:37 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Funny enough the same 3.7L V6 is found in the mustang and it makes 305hp 280lbft and gets 19/31 vs the MKZ's 300hp 277lbft 18/26. However like you mentioned the 4100lbs in the MKZ is immense. The Mustang comes in at 3523lbs. So blame a few hundred lbs and the lack of an 8-speed auto in the MKZ. I think its overall a nice car, but with no spectacular numbers it doesn't have much to stand out in a growing crowd
C&D kept referring to the already very nice Fusion in the review. That 4100 lbs is more than some CUV's. Yeah, it doesn't seem like a real standout, except in the looks department IMO, but hopefully, for Lincoln, it will draw some new buyers maybe in the more reasonably priced trim levels.
Old 12-04-12, 09:41 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I think Lincoln now has the designer from Cadillac if i'm not mistaken. They should have some good products coming from them soon hopefully. My dad had a 96 town car that I absolutely loved back in the day!

Quick Reply: Lincoln video teases new things to come... but what?